Notre Dame

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby Tadatsune » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 pm

answer23 wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote: If the ladies/guys are what you want then BigLaw is probably the credited response. From that, you probably want to choose a school with the best chance at that.


The funny thing is no one outside of law knows the difference between Sullivan & Cromwell vs Jacobi & [deleted]. My point is that unless you want to look like a complete douchbag explaining to people how you really went to a great law school even if it's a state school and that you work for "biglaw" it's not going to work for you. It's a losing battle. The unspoken is much more impressive than the spoken. It's a risk of going to a school with great lay reputation but not as good of placement vs a school with better placement but shitty recognition outside of law. If you say you went to ND and I work for a firm. Nothing else needs to be said. But if you say that you went to Michigan and work for a firm. They might assume that you are some shitty ambulance chaser that went to a state school.


Uh. How's about dressing nicely and saying "I'm a lawyer." That should probably be sufficient.

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Notre Dame

Postby answer23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:23 pm

TLS_noobie wrote:
answer23 wrote: I'm just saying that sometimes we law students and lawyers live in a bubble. The top 14 law schools are not the top 14 universities in the U.S. some schools inside the t14 are just not that impressive outside the legal world.


Yes, a bubble of relevance because the impeccable underwater basket weaving program that University of X has is completely irrelevant to me as a law student.

...and just because I am a fan boy I have to represent here since I feel like UMich is kind of being dragged through the mud with this lay prestige stuff: UMich has one of the best business schools, engineering schools, and law schools in the nation and is ranked as the 12th best reputation among all universities in the world by Time. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... kings.html

UMich has plenty of lay prestige and it has one of the largest and strongest living alumni networks in the world.


yes but must people can't tell the difference between Umich and Michigan State. I did not make the rules

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Notre Dame

Postby answer23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Tadatsune wrote:
answer23 wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote: If the ladies/guys are what you want then BigLaw is probably the credited response. From that, you probably want to choose a school with the best chance at that.


The funny thing is no one outside of law knows the difference between Sullivan & Cromwell vs Jacobi & [deleted]. My point is that unless you want to look like a complete douchbag explaining to people how you really went to a great law school even if it's a state school and that you work for "biglaw" it's not going to work for you. It's a losing battle. The unspoken is much more impressive than the spoken. It's a risk of going to a school with great lay reputation but not as good of placement vs a school with better placement but shitty recognition outside of law. If you say you went to ND and I work for a firm. Nothing else needs to be said. But if you say that you went to Michigan and work for a firm. They might assume that you are some shitty ambulance chaser that went to a state school.


Uh. How's about dressing nicely and saying "I'm a lawyer." That should probably be sufficient.


Star Jones kind of killed that.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:33 pm

This thread is delivering. Keep it up answer23.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:33 pm

Again, way better luck telling girls I'm an EMT. A job that pays like $10 an hour to start and doesn't require a college education.

HTH

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby freaknroll » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:37 pm

If your only game is to tell some chick that you have a biglaw jerb or go to x,y,z school you have a problem.

User avatar
DaftAndDirect
Posts: 381
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:40 pm

rad lulz wrote:Again, way better luck telling girls I'm an EMT. A job that pays like $10 an hour to start and doesn't require a college education.

HTH


Srsly op. If it's "potential mates" (hilarious) you're interested in you should just become a firefighter. You'll also have way more time to sleep with said potential mates.

User avatar
Tadatsune
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby Tadatsune » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:43 pm

answer23 wrote:
Tadatsune wrote:
answer23 wrote:
TLS_noobie wrote: If the ladies/guys are what you want then BigLaw is probably the credited response. From that, you probably want to choose a school with the best chance at that.


The funny thing is no one outside of law knows the difference between Sullivan & Cromwell vs Jacobi & [deleted]. My point is that unless you want to look like a complete douchbag explaining to people how you really went to a great law school even if it's a state school and that you work for "biglaw" it's not going to work for you. It's a losing battle. The unspoken is much more impressive than the spoken. It's a risk of going to a school with great lay reputation but not as good of placement vs a school with better placement but shitty recognition outside of law. If you say you went to ND and I work for a firm. Nothing else needs to be said. But if you say that you went to Michigan and work for a firm. They might assume that you are some shitty ambulance chaser that went to a state school.


Uh. How's about dressing nicely and saying "I'm a lawyer." That should probably be sufficient.


Star Jones kind of killed that.


Hey, works for me, and I'm not even in law school yet.

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Notre Dame

Postby answer23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:Again, way better luck telling girls I'm an EMT. A job that pays like $10 an hour to start and doesn't require a college education.

HTH


It's not about the money as much as its about the potential. Being a protector and having the knowledge to save someone life and the brains to potentially make a lot of money. EMT's have the potential to become firefighters (most firefighters will make 6 figures) doctors and lawyers (I'm assuming you are a future lawyer) A Harvard law student on work study also makes about $10 hour. But there is potential to make a lot more.

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Notre Dame

Postby answer23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:51 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Again, way better luck telling girls I'm an EMT. A job that pays like $10 an hour to start and doesn't require a college education.

HTH


Srsly op. If it's "potential mates" (hilarious) you're interested in you should just become a firefighter. You'll also have way more time to sleep with said potential mates.


No that was a response to someone else. Going to law school or doing anything just for potential mates is dumb. It's a combination of career satisfaction, doing something that you love, having people recognize your worth without you shoving it down their throat.

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Notre Dame

Postby answer23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:03 pm

freaknroll wrote:If your only game is to tell some chick that you have a biglaw jerb or go to x,y,z school you have a problem.


It's not "the only game" there are more important things in life. It's one component. You want people to recognize your accomplishments. Why are you going to law school? Why do people spend millions of dollars to run for office that only pays a fraction of what it cost? It's about power and recognition.

User avatar
TLS_noobie
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Re: Notre Dame

Postby TLS_noobie » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:41 pm

answer23 wrote:
freaknroll wrote:If your only game is to tell some chick that you have a biglaw jerb or go to x,y,z school you have a problem.


It's not "the only game" there are more important things in life. It's one component. You want people to recognize your accomplishments. Why are you going to law school? Why do people spend millions of dollars to run for office that only pays a fraction of what it cost? It's about power and recognition.


You obviously are not getting the point. It isn't about saying "I work for Cravath" and it isn't about saying "I went to ND/UMich/Harvard"...what it is all about is dropping them duckets on things other people can't afford. The reason the ladies like Harvard Law is because they think you are going to be rich...if you are rich, then it makes no difference to them where you work/went to school.

This is all terribly superficial talk, but as long as we are talking about lay prestige (which is just that), then it is important to recognize where the source of the lay prestige for universities is: you will be rich and successful if you go to school X.

It is probably also worth mentioning that the people who actually care about these sorts of things in their potential partners are extraordinarily superficial. You should probably do something that makes you feel happy and fulfilled and not care how that is perceived by others...but that's about as preachy as I am going to get and you can do whatever you wanna do.

Either way, good luck, live long and prosper!

[edit, because I didn't see it before]

answer23 wrote:yes but must people can't tell the difference between Umich and Michigan State. I did not make the rules


This is actually very untrue. In the state of Michigan, UMich is seen as the Harvard of the midwest, and outside at a national level, it is also seen as being extraordinarily prestigious for a public university. For lay prestige people may not understand the distinction between programs (such as top b-school/engineering/law/etc.) but they know the name very well because of the vastness of the alumni network. It is enormous! [oh, and obviously having a top notch football history helps a lot...the last few years notwithstanding...lol]

answer23
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Notre Dame

Postby answer23 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:31 pm

You obviously are not getting the point. It isn't about saying "I work for Cravath" and it isn't about saying "I went to ND/UMich/Harvard"...what it is all about is dropping them duckets on things other people can't afford. The reason the ladies like Harvard Law is because they think you are going to be rich...if you are rich, then it makes no difference to them where you work/went to school.


That was my point. People for whatever reason will assum that you will be rich if you go to ND. Forbes magazine has ND in the top 10 for law schools that will make you rich. It's just that I do get a completely different reaction when I mention ND as apposed to UMich. If you recall my op said that I was waitlisted at Michigan and my dentist thought I was crazy for even thinking about picking Michigan over ND. This is not even in the Midwest, but east coast. Out here people have no idea between Michigan and Michigan State. Some people recognize Michigan State more because of Magic Johnson. The reaction I get from ND is usually "oh that's a really good school" or "notre dame huh look at you" the worst I've gotten was "oh Notre Dame Regis went there" don't know if the last one is good or bad. This has happen to be at least 5 times in the pass couple of weeks.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests