Ohio State (or nothing) vs CWRU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

OSU or Bust?

OSU or Bust
64%
CWRU w/ $30k + fellowship
18%
Deposit @ CWRU, wait/hope for OSU
18%

Total votes: 11

JVanHo

Ohio State (or nothing) vs CWRU

Postby JVanHo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:47 pm

I had a similar question previously, but Case Western (seemingly) sweetened their offer.

Personal Background: Want to practice in Columbus. 4 year Marine Corps Veteran (deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan). Wife & son in Columbus area. 160/3.63.

I'm still waiting to hear from Ohio State (I visited the law school in the fall and sent 2 e-mails recently about my continued interest and intent to attend if accepted), and Case Western has offered me an International Law Scholarship ($30k, 2.33 stip) + fellowship, with a deposit due next week. It seems like the fellowship, and co-authorship in an international law journal + a small stipend, would help for an internship the summer after my 1L. Am I off base? Is this a good offer (I know about CWRU being #11 in the USNWR International Law Rankings, and how niche and unlikely actually practicing International Law is)? Obviously Ohio State dominates the Columbus market, but will a CWRU JD carry weight in Columbus as well?

Any thoughts on placing my non-refundable deposit at CWRU and waiting to hear from Ohio State are welcome as well.

The Rover

Re: Ohio State (or nothing) vs CWRU

Postby The Rover » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:52 pm

If you got in to OSU the GI bill would cover tuition, right?

OSU for free is much better than your offer from Case if you want to practice in Columbus. And yes, don't expect to get a job in international law. USNWR specialty rankings should not factor into your decision.

If I were you I would go OSU or nothing. If you don't get in this year, retake and apply early next year.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Don't worry about International Law rankings; those specialty rankings are meaningless. If you go with Case, then by all means stay involved in their International Law center, write for the journal, and participate in International Moot Court. However, don't expect a job in the International Law field, because finding one of those jobs is like trying to find Bigfoot riding a unicorn. OSU is king in Ohio, but Case's offer seems almost too good to turn down. A 2.33 stip is like no stip at all, as I believe that is the minimum gpa just to stay enrolled.

The above poster mentioned the GI bill - if your tuition is already covered, then I would go with OSU over Case, even with the stipend. If retaking is not an option and you really want to go to law school in the Fall, put down you seat deposit at Case, but make sure OSU knows you still want to go there.

JVanHo

Postby JVanHo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:10 pm

The Rover wrote:If you got in to OSU the GI bill would cover tuition, right?

I have enough eligibility remaining for 1L to be covered for sure. 2L and 3L are probably going to be covered under Chapter 31/Vocational Rehabilitation, but that's a lengthy application process and is not guaranteed.

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:19 pm

JVanHo wrote:

I have enough eligibility remaining for 1L to be covered for sure. 2L and 3L are probably going to be covered under Chapter 31/Vocational Rehabilitation, but that's a lengthy application process and is not guaranteed.

In that case, I would go with OSU if you can get in. I think OSU at 2/3 sticker beats out Case for free, especially if you want to stay in Columbus after graduation. However, if you don't get in to OSU, I think the opportunity to go to Case for free + stipend is a pretty good spot to be in.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:20 pm

OSU for free is much better than your offer from Case if you want to practice in Columbus. And yes, don't expect to get a job in international law. USNWR specialty rankings should not factor into your decision.

If I were you I would go OSU or nothing. If you don't get in this year, retake and apply early next year.

This is dumb. If you get into OSU, go there for sure. But, from what I can tell, if you are from Columbus and go to Case, you won't have any issues getting a job in Columbus. It's not worth re-taking if you'll only be paying $10k in tuition.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:14 pm

I think you really ought to push for OSU or bust, for a mixture of career and personal reasons. Your family is there, that's a big plus obviously. OSU has better placement overall, and would be (at least partially, and maybe almost completely) covered by the government. You are close to being on the cusp, and I think your military experience could get you over the hump.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”