Boalt Hall is ranked 7th, UCLA is 15th. Similar scores?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
M.M.

Boalt Hall is ranked 7th, UCLA is 15th. Similar scores?

Postby M.M. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 pm

I meant to say in the topic title (but didn't have enough room) that UCLA's median LSAT and GPA accepted are higher than Berkeley's, yet Berkeley's rank is far better than UCLA. Why is this?

Thanks for the help and my apologies if this is the wrong forum or if this has been reposted endlessly ...

SaintFond

Re: Boalt Hall is ranked 7th, UCLA is 15th. Similar scores?

Postby SaintFond » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:58 pm

Probably because GPA and LSAT are only a part of the ranking.

As for why Berk's LSAT is so low, it's because they are known for valuing soft factors more than other schools. Also, I suspect they go overboard with affirmative action URM stuff.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:01 am

The rankings are only partly lsat and gpa based.

And B is in the T14 because B has always been in the T14. That is the way it works. The rankings "shuffle" they don't change.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 am

SaintFond wrote:Probably because GPA and LSAT are only a part of the ranking.

As for why Berk's LSAT is so low, it's because they are known for valuing soft factors more than other schools. Also, I suspect they go overboard with affirmative action URM stuff.

Peer review rating trumps the system. Thanks also for including the bolded. I patiently await the impending (and hopefully lulzy) shitstorm.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:10 am

SaintFond wrote:Probably because GPA and LSAT are only a part of the ranking.

You give them too much credit. They understand the value of a cohesive alumni base= $$$ from alumni, and $$$ from like-minded people. When a school says "holistic admissions," what they really mean is "if we go off of numbers we can't find the right type of people necessary to build a thematic network of alumni." Stanford, Yale, and Chicago also do this because they need cohesive alumni networks to counteract the mass effect of Harvard, Columbia, and NYU's gigantic armies of graduates.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 am

Boalt is an objectively better law school with a stronger faculty and more resources. That doesn't mean the median student at Boalt is smarter than the median student at UCLA.

Postby 83947368 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:17 am

Last edited by 83947368 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:03 am

Look, I got into Berkeley. I took a look at their admitted students weekend. It looked almost like the schedule for some kind of ACLU Minority Rights conference.

Enough said.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:32 am

SaintFond wrote:Look, I got into Berkeley. I took a look at their admitted students weekend. It looked almost like the schedule for some kind of ACLU Minority Rights conference.

Enough said.

--ImageRemoved--

kingofspain

Postby kingofspain » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 am

SaintFond wrote:Look, I got into Berkeley. I took a look at their admitted students weekend. It looked almost like the schedule for some kind of ACLU Minority Rights conference.

Enough said.
That sounds awesome. I assume you're attending?

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:49 am

kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

Given your views, I don't think you are wanted at Berkeley or TLS or earth.

Contact Glenn Beck University about starting up a law school.

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:17 am

kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

Don't know yet. I'm trying to get a matching scholarship, but for now it's sticker, which I don't know if I can afford. I actually have a topic about my upcoming decision here on this subforum.

drmguy wrote:
kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

My point is that, as far as I can tell, they take this affirmative action stuff VERY seriously and that this probably has a tendency to drag down their LSAT median. Or so I would think. Berkeley is a strange place and a strange school, as anyone who has been there knows.

Golden Bear 11

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:18 am

shoeshine wrote:The rankings are only partly lsat and gpa based.

And B is in the T14 because B has always been in the T14. That is the way it works. The rankings "shuffle" they don't change.

This.

flem

Postby flem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:35 am

SaintFond wrote:
My point is that, as far as I can tell, they take this affirmative action stuff VERY seriously and that this probably has a tendency to drag down their LSAT median. Or so I would think. Berkeley is a strange place and a strange school, as anyone who has been there knows.

Yuppy90

Postby Yuppy90 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:51 am

SaintFond wrote:
kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

Don't know yet. I'm trying to get a matching scholarship, but for now it's sticker, which I don't know if I can afford. I actually have a topic about my upcoming decision here on this subforum.

drmguy wrote:
kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

The statements above are not exaggerations, I went to ASW and Berkeley really does favor/stress diversity in its law school, it did seem very weird. There was really more talk at ASW about the diversity of the student body and how great that is for the school than about the curriculum, job prospects (in non lliberal PI areas), and financial aid. Pretty crazy, but cool also. Its a great school, and if you feel that a lot of the student body brings down the LSAT due to the admissions process, you should just be more set to succeed.

SaintFond

Postby SaintFond » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:59 am

I suspect that if Berkeley dropped this commitment to diversity thing and hunkered down and started gaming the rankings, they could probably secure themselves a place in the T6. On the one hand, I want to be cynical and just kind of roll my eyes at this diversity stuff, yet on the other hand, I want to say good on them for being willing to look at something more than hard numbers. If I weren't scared by the debt, I'd probably jump on Berk in a heartbeat.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Also c/o 2014 is 63% women. Damn.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:18 pm

SaintFond wrote:
kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

drmguy wrote:
kingofspain wrote:

Enough said.

Cal is a state institution and it is a great school. It is not like they are Photoshopping minorities into there pictures(University of Wisconsin I think did this). Yes, minorities are smart too especially when a school is located in one of the wealthiest parts of the United States.

I think all schools take "this affirmative action stuff very seriously" that is URM's get a boost every where. If you dont like the game do not go there is always Pepperdine...there you can't even be a democrat.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”