Indiana U- Bloomington, U Pittsburgh or U Richmond? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bookmark

New

Indiana U- Bloomington, U Pittsburgh or U Richmond?

Post by bookmark » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm trying desperately to choose a law school, quickly. I've been thinking about it for months and I've picked my top 3. Indiana U was the only school to give me a scholarship but it was only $5,000/year. With the higher tuition, I'm not sure if it's worth it to go there. I like all 3 schools but if anyone can help, details or opinions about any of the 3 would help. Thanks!

abbottsbar

Bronze

Re: Indiana U- Bloomington, U Pittsburgh or U Richmond?

Post by abbottsbar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:46 pm

bookmark wrote:I'm trying desperately to choose a law school, quickly. I've been thinking about it for months and I've picked my top 3. Indiana U was the only school to give me a scholarship but it was only $5,000/year. With the higher tuition, I'm not sure if it's worth it to go there. I like all 3 schools but if anyone can help, details or opinions about any of the 3 would help. Thanks!
There's really not enough information to give you any real advice.

Numbers?

Where are you from/have ties?

Where do you want to practice?

As someone who is considering Richmond next year, I can say that I would be worried about taking on upwards of $150k in loans (plus interest) for what the job prospects are from any of your options.

bookmark

New

Post by bookmark » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Numbers: 4.0 GPA, 157 LSAT

Where are you from: Northern Ohio. I don't really have a specific interest in any of the cities. I've visited Bloomington and Pittsburgh before and enjoyed both and I've also heard good things about Richmond.

Where do you want to practice: Overall, I would prefer working in a big city or at least close to one. I would say Chicago or DC, but I know that that's somewhat unrealistic as that's where most people would like to practice. One of the major pulls of Indiana is it's somewhat proximity to Chicago. The same goes for Richmond and DC. I know one problem with both of these is that there would be massive competition for jobs wherever I go.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:59 pm

bookmark wrote:Numbers: 4.0 GPA, 157 LSAT
Good God bro retake the fucking lsat, don't waste a 4.0 on anything less than a T14 if not HYS

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:06 pm

Where are you from: Northern Ohio. I don't really have a specific interest in any of the cities. I've visited Bloomington and Pittsburgh before and enjoyed both and I've also heard good things about Richmond.

Where do you want to practice: Overall, I would prefer working in a big city or at least close to one. I would say Chicago or DC, but I know that that's somewhat unrealistic as that's where most people would like to practice. One of the major pulls of Indiana is it's somewhat proximity to Chicago. The same goes for Richmond and DC. I know one problem with both of these is that there would be massive competition for jobs wherever I go.
Definitely retake the LSAT. God only knows what I'd do for a 4.0.

I can tell you that your chances of getting DC from Richmond is slim. Not saying that it's impossible, just highly improbable.

The difference in about 8 points on the LSAT at Richmond would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $90,000 (I'm presuming you'd definitely be in the hunt for the JMS).

That said, don't waste a 4.0 on anything other than a T-14 school (especially with your goals). A year off isn't going to kill you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:09 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Good God bro retake the fucking lsat, don't waste a 4.0 on anything less than a T14 if not HYS
This. This. This.

Even a few points would get you into tOSU with $$$, which would be far better than all the options you're talking about.

bookmark

New

Post by bookmark » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Now you guys have me seriously considering taking a year off. Do you know if there is any way to get scholarships going into your second year?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:39 pm

bookmark wrote:Now you guys have me seriously considering taking a year off. Do you know if there is any way to get scholarships going into your second year?
You should absolutely take a year off. Retake, reapply, and attend a much better school. And the work experience will be immensely helpful.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:41 pm

bookmark wrote:Now you guys have me seriously considering taking a year off. Do you know if there is any way to get scholarships going into your second year?
1) Good
2) Depends on the school but not something you can count on

What's the worst that can happen if you take a year off? You mean you retake the lsat, do better, get into better schools that will actually cost less money? OH THE HUMANITY.

I'm just fucking with you, but the benefits to taking a year off far outweigh the advantages of launching a legal career earlier, especially when that might not even be an option depending on where you finish at these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:44 pm

bookmark wrote:Do you know if there is any way to get scholarships going into your second year?
I wouldn't count on it. Most places I asked last year said maybe, but that means no.

bookmark

New

Post by bookmark » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:47 pm

This is all so much to think about. I was hoping that one of the schools would give me something in the way of 'need based' financial aid, but I haven't heard anything.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:50 pm

bookmark wrote:This is all so much to think about. I was hoping that one of the schools would give me something in the way of 'need based' financial aid, but I haven't heard anything.
Need based aid is not real unless you're going to Harvard, Yale, or Stanford bruh

I wish you luck, sincerely. That GPA puts you in such a better position than many of us, I am very jealous.

abbottsbar

Bronze

Post by abbottsbar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:52 pm

You should definitely take a year off!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”