NYU sticker vs Northwestern w/ $45K

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU at Sticker vs. Northwestern $45K

NYU at sticker
55%
Northwestern w/ $45K
45%

Total votes: 40

legally blonde

NYU sticker vs Northwestern w/ $45K

Postby legally blonde » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:15 am

Now that deadlines are starting to come up, I could really use any advise people are willing to give. I am choosing between NYU at sticker vs. $15k/yr scholly at Northwestern. My goal is definitely biglaw but I have no real preference between Chicago and New York. Looking at the other threads, it sounds like NYU is the more popular choice for biglaw but looking at the job statistics, Northwestern seems to place really well with biglaw too. So is a degree from NYU worth $45K+interest more than Northwestern?

Also, I'm not expecting any additional money from either school (both schools first offered me $0 and I am a splitter). Please help!

Doorkeeper

Re: NYU sticker vs Northwestern w/ $45K

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 am

$45k, while nothing to snark at, is not a sizable enough amount to force this decision to come down to only money, in my opinion. Have you visited each school? Where do you want to work after school? I think either choice here is good for you.

The only clear advantage is if you definitely want to work in NYC (NYU) or Chicago (Northwestern), but it sounds like you don't really care.

cjcregg

Postby cjcregg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am

Doorkeeper wrote:$45k, while nothing to snark at, is not a sizable enough amount to force this decision to come down to only money, in my opinion. Have you visited each school? Where do you want to work after school? I think either choice here is good for you.

The only clear advantage is if you definitely want to work in NYC (NYU) or Chicago (Northwestern), but it sounds like you don't really care.

And if you don't feel you can commit now to either city, definitely NYU.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 am

Doorkeeper wrote: Have you visited each school?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 am

Personal preference(s) should decide this one, in my opinion. However, if you want NYC biglaw, then NYU wins.

legally blonde

Postby legally blonde » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:26 am

I haven't had a chance to visit either school. Definitely would have helped if I had.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:10 am

NYU will give you a better chance at biglaw. I don't think 45k is enough to sway it NU's favor, though I don't think it would be absurd to take NU. I'd pick NYU in this case.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:09 pm

legally blonde wrote:So is a degree from NYU worth $45K+interest more than Northwestern?

I think it probably is, all things considered, but neither choice is nuts. I'd say if you took 100 people and had them make this decision, 90 of them would have comparable careers.

legally blonde

Postby legally blonde » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:16 pm

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

Its interesting though, the poll is basically tied between the two options. Does anyone have anything to say for Northwestern over NYU?

arkansawyer

Postby arkansawyer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:19 pm

I suggest you check this out:

http://placementsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/home.aspx

If it's all the same to you, pick the one with better employment prospects.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:23 pm

legally blonde wrote:I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks!

Its interesting though, the poll is basically tied between the two options. Does anyone have anything to say for Northwestern over NYU?

As everyone has said, this seems to be a personal preference thing. If it were mine though, I'd probably go with Northwestern. That's just how I felt about the two areas and schools. If you want to biglaw, I don't think the difference is that great, certainly not a difference $45k can't make up for. Your call.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”