Pitt vs. CWRU vs. Waitlist

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
CameDownHoldUp

Pitt vs. CWRU vs. Waitlist

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:22 am

Hey all,

It's time for me to pick a law school. I have narrowed my choices down to Pitt and Case Western; as after extensive research and talking to professors and some of their contacts in both areas, I deemed it the best two options for my intended career path. I am from the Midwest originally as well. However, the financial situation for either school is not clear enough for one school to be brighter than the other.

I intend to pursue international and/or national security law. I know everyone will jump on this saying that I'm wasting my time and should go to D.C. Well, I've been WL'd at 2 T30 schools in that area, but my prospects of getting off the waitlists are bleak.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated.

CanadianWolf

Re: Pitt vs. CWRU vs. Waitlist

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:25 am

Based on your career goals, shouldn't a dual degree at Syracuse (JD & Maxwell) be an option ?

Are you on the waitlists of Univ. of Washington and Wash & Lee ?

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 am

Well, probably... If I had applied there. I should note as well I was accepted into the dual-degree program of International Affairs at Pitt. Slightly important detail.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:28 am

Based on your current options, Pitt seems to be the better choice due to the joint degree program.

What are your LSAT & GPA numbers ? Any scholarship offers ?

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:31 am

Poor showing on LSAT, 157-161 range and a 3.8 GPA. As of now, no scholarship offer yet from either school but I have been told offers will be made. However, seat deposits are looming like an army of hologram Tupacs.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 am

With a 3.8 GPA, a slightly higher LSAT score should result in multiple scholarship offers. Have you considered retaking the LSAT & reapplying next cycle ?

P.S. Your current numbers would have resulted in an $81,000 scholarship ($27,000) per year from Syracuse assuming that your LSAT is a 158. A slightly higher LSAT score would get $99,000.

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 am

I have considered this, but waiting any longer than I already have is out of the question. And now I'm disappointed I didn't apply to Syracuse... :?

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:52 am

CameDownHoldUp wrote:I have considered this, but waiting any longer than I already have is out of the question.

why

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:59 am

flem wrote:
CameDownHoldUp wrote:I have considered this, but waiting any longer than I already have is out of the question.

why

For reasons I'd rather not share, but thank you for your concern in this matter.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:03 am

Total cost of attendance at each?

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:13 am

59k CWRU ; 52k Pitt

thatkid

Postby thatkid » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:14 am

CameDownHoldUp wrote:Poor showing on LSAT, 157-161 range and a 3.8 GPA. As of now, no scholarship offer yet from either school but I have been told offers will be made. However, seat deposits are looming like an army of hologram Tupacs.

This made me smile.

I don't know anything about Case Western, and retaking is definitely your best option. I'm also not sure what sort of career prospects you're looking at in International/ National Security Law coming out of any school.

However, moving past the requisite discouragement, I just wanted to point out that there is an FBI office in Pittsburgh and there are at least a few companies in the area that do partnerships with the field office. I don't know if/how that translates into legal jobs, but I'd definitely look into it.

I'm not saying that you'd have any realistic shot at getting a super cool national security job here or anything, both because that seems really unlikely anywhere and because I don't know what the market is like, but Pitt may not be the worst choice. As far as regional schools go, Pitt is a solid one, and completely dominates the city. Plus, when you inevitably change your mind about what you want to do in life, there are 3-4 major firms in the city.

Good luck!

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 am

CameDownHoldUp wrote:59k CWRU ; 52k Pitt

Does that include cost of living?

At those prices neither are awful. Case will do better in Cleveland, Pitt will do better in Pittsburgh. Where are you from originally?

Also, you are unlikely to get a job in your intended field (even from a school in D.C.) do a little bit more research about the kinds of jobs in this field and how many job openings there are for recent grads. If you only want to go to law school to practice in this field, do not go at all.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:29 am

The Rover wrote:

At those prices neither are awful. Case will do better in Cleveland, Pitt will do better in Pittsburgh. Where are you from originally?

Also, you are unlikely to get a job in your intended field (even from a school in D.C.) do a little bit more research about the kinds of jobs in this field and how many job openings there are for recent grads. If you only want to go to law school to practice in this field, do not go at all.

this

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 am

OP: Call Syracuse admissions & inquire about available scholarship money & Maxwell if you are unwilling to wait a year to retake & reapply.

top30man

Postby top30man » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 am

The Rover wrote:

Where are you from? I wouldn't pay nearly that much for either school. Pittsburgh still has no recovered and is a small market to begin with.
Eta: I know you said Midwest. Looking for more specifics

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm

CLE native... Case is alluring if not just for its hometown appeal. Case has a concentration in National Security Law and some okay programs externally, including a relationship with the UN (according to resources and those students I've spoken with who are at the school). Pitt has the dual degree program. I'm not entering law school looking to go into national security and expecting some super cool job. It's simply something that intrigues me and would follow through with if that is the way my inevitable JD degree takes me. My career path is pretty much decided, what I am going to do with it is obviously not.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:25 pm

So do those figures including living expenses? What about interest? Or are you leaving out an additional 50-70K off of it to trick people into justifying your decision? Notice you dodged that question.

Postby 1776 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:29 pm

Did Pitt's deadline pass?

Case2L

Postby Case2L » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:05 pm

OP - if you attend Case, is living at home/with relatives an option? As you are well aware, COL is pretty low, but it could still add $20K or more over the course of three years.

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:30 am

Approximate COL is included in those figures but not interest, I apologize for not including that statement. Pitt's deadline has not passed for me; I talked to their Admissions Office yesterday. I have received financials from both schools. The cost will be the same for both in tuition and fees (obviously COL is variable). And living with relatives is a possibility for at most one year in CLE. The only reason I have posted here is I have no legal insight into what either city's job market looks like in terms of private firm, international law. I figure anonymous users such as yourselves could point me to the reality of this instead of the fluff I receive when talking to school officials.

Thank you so far to all who have posted, your insight is appreciated.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:32 am

Don't expect to get any kind of job in "international law".

flem

Postby flem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am

CameDownHoldUp wrote:Approximate COL is included in those figures but not interest, I apologize for not including that statement. Pitt's deadline has not passed for me; I talked to their Admissions Office yesterday. I have received financials from both schools. The cost will be the same for both in tuition and fees (obviously COL is variable). And living with relatives is a possibility for at most one year in CLE. The only reason I have posted here is I have no legal insight into what either city's job market looks like in terms of private firm, international law. I figure anonymous users such as yourselves could point me to the reality of this instead of the fluff I receive when talking to school officials.

Total COA in the 60K range is fine for these schools. Pick which market you want to work in long term. Abandon all interest in whatever you think "international law" is because you won't get it from these schools.

Good luck. Consider a retake if you're not thrilled with your options. I'd kill for a 3.8.

CameDownHoldUp

Postby CameDownHoldUp » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:40 am

flem wrote:
CameDownHoldUp wrote:Approximate COL is included in those figures but not interest, I apologize for not including that statement. Pitt's deadline has not passed for me; I talked to their Admissions Office yesterday. I have received financials from both schools. The cost will be the same for both in tuition and fees (obviously COL is variable). And living with relatives is a possibility for at most one year in CLE. The only reason I have posted here is I have no legal insight into what either city's job market looks like in terms of private firm, international law. I figure anonymous users such as yourselves could point me to the reality of this instead of the fluff I receive when talking to school officials.

Total COA in the 60K range is fine for these schools. Pick which market you want to work in long term. Abandon all interest in whatever you think "international law" is because you won't get it from these schools.

Good luck. Consider a retake if you're not thrilled with your options. I'd kill for a 3.8.

I do think I have been very unclear in what I mean by "international law." I studied multinationals a great deal in undergrad. Would working exclusively with them in a corporate capacity justify my meaning? If not, excuse my ignorance.

flem

Postby flem » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:49 am

CameDownHoldUp wrote:
I do think I have been very unclear in what I mean by "international law." I studied multinationals a great deal in undergrad. Would working exclusively with them in a corporate capacity justify my meaning? If not, excuse my ignorance.

Multinational corporations? Then yeah, but you'd have to finish top 10% to have a shot at working for a firm that represents clients like that out of these schools. Those are the domain of 250+ attorney firms.

The likely outcome is a 40-60K to start firm job which is totally manageable with 50-60K in loans.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”