GPA Stips for Merit $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FastLife

New

GPA Stips for Merit $$

Post by FastLife » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:34 pm

How concerned should I be about a 3.0 gpa stip at GW? I am a motivated student and I believe I can be in the top 10-15% of my class, or at the very least get above a 3.0, but doesn't almost every 0L go into law school with that mindset? You get a few B-'s your first term and then BOOM. You lose your scholarship and are completely screwed with a ton of debt that you did not account for.

In comparison, the GPA stip at Minnesota is 2.5, and at Notre Dame it is just "good standing". Unfortunately I don't want to work in Minnesota and I am from Portland, OR, so I have no ties to a big legal market where I can use ND's lay prestige to get me a good job. I'd be dependent on OCI and networking when I'm there.

Br3v

Gold

Re: GPA Stips for Merit $$

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:02 pm

FastLife wrote:How concerned should I be about a 3.0 gpa stip at GW? I am a motivated student and I believe I can be in the top 10-15% of my class, or at the very least get above a 3.0, but doesn't almost every 0L go into law school with that mindset? You get a few B-'s your first term and then BOOM. You lose your scholarship and are completely screwed with a ton of debt that you did not account for.

In comparison, the GPA stip at Minnesota is 2.5, and at Notre Dame it is just "good standing". Unfortunately I don't want to work in Minnesota and I am from Portland, OR, so I have no ties to a big legal market where I can use ND's lay prestige to get me a good job. I'd be dependent on OCI and networking when I'm there.
Well I would try to lower the stips. (maybe 2.5, at least 2.75 would be nice)
But whenever I see threads about stips I tend to think if you drop below them you'll have bigger problems to worry about but multiplying that with loss of $ certainly doesn't help.
But if not possible I would still attend GW if the other two are only other options.
Disclaimer; I'm an OL

Platinum

Re: GPA Stips for Merit $$

Post by 2014 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

3.0 is not awful but obviously the lower the better.

I would have 2 questions though. First of all how does GW treat B minuses? One of the two schools I took UG classes treated all B's as a B for example so a B-, B+ didn't matter it was all 3.0. That would make it easier to hit the 3.0. And then what is GW curved to? Is 3.0 median or is it 3.1 or 3.2 like some other schools? If it's curved to 3.2 and you aren't above 3.0 you would be in rough shape anyway and losing your scholarship might be a blessing in disguise in that it pushes you in the direction of making new plans.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”