Want to practice in SF Bay Area - UC Hastings or USC ? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Hastings or USC - Want to practice in Bay Area

UC Hastings
27%
USC
73%

Total votes: 26

norcalChk

New

Want to practice in SF Bay Area - UC Hastings or USC ?

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Hoping to practice in SF Bay Area. Deciding between UC Hastings (good regional school in Bay Area) and USC (top 20 school in los angeles). Overall COA same.

Also, should parents/boyfriend living in the Bay Area be a factor in my decision?

Any advice would help. Thanks!
Last edited by norcalChk on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Re: Want to practice in SF Bay Area - UC Hastings or USC ?

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:40 pm

norcalChk wrote:Hoping to practice in SF Bay Area. Deciding between UC Hastings (good regional school in Bay Area) and USC (top 20 school in los angeles). Overall COA same.

Also, should parents/boyfriend living in the Bay Area be a factor in my decision?
Can you live with them to cut expenses?

And what is the actual COA?

norcalChk

New

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
norcalChk wrote:Hoping to practice in SF Bay Area. Deciding between UC Hastings (good regional school in Bay Area) and USC (top 20 school in los angeles). Overall COA same.

Yes, factoring in living at home for Hastings, the cost of attendance is the same for both schools (about $60,000 total, or $20,000/yr).

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:47 pm

USC is a great school, but I think I'm gonna have to vote for Hastings because of the location. Hastings is good enough to get respect from the surrounding firms, which I'm guessing is where you want to end up working. I don't know if USC's reputation in this case will outweigh the fact that UC Hastings is a good school located right in heart of SF.

Parents living in the bay is a definite a plus, but the boyfriend question is tough. Stuff like that gets complicated. Haha.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:52 pm

norcalChk wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

Yes, factoring in living at home for Hastings, the cost of attendance is the same for both schools (about $60,000 total, or $20,000/yr).
Wait, I'm confused, you'd have to live on your own at USC but the cost of attendance would still remain the same?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:55 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
norcalChk wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

Wait, I'm confused, you'd have to live on your own at USC but the cost of attendance would still remain the same?
Yea. I was a bit confused about that, too.

norcalChk

New

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:57 pm

Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I've been offered a large scholarship at USC, but only a small one at Hastings (because they're a public institution). But since I can live at home while attending Hastings and Hastings' tuition is cheaper, overall cost of attendance is about the same.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:58 pm

norcalChk wrote:
Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I've been offered a large scholarship at USC, but only a small one at Hastings (because they're a public institution). But since I can live at home while attending Hastings and Hastings' tuition is cheaper, overall cost of attendance is about the same.
I'd say it's a toss-up. USC has a huge alumni network and good lay-prestige, but is 8 hours from your target market. UC-Hastings gives you better networking opportunities but it's not on the level that USC/UCLA are.

Tough call. I'd probably take USC and roll the dice on trying to get back, but that's me. Any other options? Someone with stats to get a huge scholarship at USC likely has T14 acceptances?
Last edited by flem on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:59 pm

norcalChk wrote:Sorry for the confusion. Basically, I've been offered a large scholarship at USC, but only a small one at Hastings (because they're a public institution). But since I can live at home while attending Hastings and Hastings' tuition is cheaper, overall cost of attendance is about the same.
What kind of law do you want to do?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

norcalChk

New

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
norcalChk wrote:
Tough call. I'd probably take USC and roll the dice on trying to get back, but that's me. Any other options? Someone with stats to get a huge scholarship at USC likely has T14 acceptances?
Waitlisted for T14 schools, but I've realized I really want to be in California, and the best CA schools I got into were UCLA, USC, and Hastings. But I've ruled out UCLA because of cost.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:04 pm

norcalChk wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
norcalChk wrote:
Waitlisted for T14 schools, but I've realized I really want to be in California, and the best CA schools I got into were UCLA, USC, and Hastings. But I've ruled out UCLA because of cost.
Fair enough. You on the waitlist at Boalt?

norcalChk

New

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Haha I wish but unfortunately no.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:07 pm

I would be really hesitant to go to Hastings.

--LinkRemoved--

Only 59% of the class of 2011 had full-time legal work. It's likely better than that now, but I think your chances of getting a good legal job are way better at USC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ryemanhattan

Bronze

Post by ryemanhattan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Hastings is decreasing class size by a full 20% next year... which is really respectable and should help job prospects. I think USC is still probably your better option, given that the costs are equivalent. You should ask for more $ from Hastings, immediately, if you haven't already.

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:Hastings is decreasing class size by a full 20% next year... which is really respectable and should help job prospects. I think USC is still probably your better option, given that the costs are equivalent. You should ask for more $ from Hastings, immediately, if you haven't already.
Also, it sounds like you have strong ties to the Bay, with your parents and boyfriend there, and I assume you grew up there as well. You shouldn't have any problem going back if you attend a top CA school like USC.

Obviously, if you want to live closer to your relatives/SO for the next three years, that's a personal choice you'll have to weigh on your own.

jon121

New

Post by jon121 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:29 pm

USC no question. Lots of people at Hastings (with good resumes) having a tough time finding a job. USC is a very small school and its graduates are in high demand in LA. Lots of firms have offices in both LA/Bay Area, so I wouldn't be worried about getting back into that market. For California, USC is probably a better bet than many of the more prestigious east coast schools

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I would be really hesitant to go to Hastings.

--LinkRemoved--

Only 59% of the class of 2011 had full-time legal work. It's likely better than that now, but I think your chances of getting a good legal job are way better at USC.
Be careful in comparing those numbers. Official employment numbers are notorious for being unreliable. Hastings may not be gaming the numbers like peer schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

kapital98 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Be careful in comparing those numbers. Official employment numbers are notorious for being unreliable. Hastings may not be gaming the numbers like peer schools.
I wasn't comparing them and Hastings is not a peer to usc

norcalChk

New

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote: What kind of law do you want to do?
Undecided. Interested in business law (USC) and mediation (Hastings).

norcalChk

New

Post by norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:06 pm

The other thing is, even though Hastings isnt ranked as well as USC, Hastings seems to offer more in terms of extracurricular activities. For example, Hastings offers more law journals, while USC only offers three.

And I've talked to hiring partners and recruiters who say that performance in law school is more important than school ranking (Basically, doing well at Hastings is better than performing mediocre at USC).

Any thoughts?

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

norcalChk wrote:The other thing is, even though Hastings isnt ranked as well as USC, Hastings seems to offer more in terms of extracurricular activities. For example, Hastings offers more law journals, while USC only offers three.

And I've talked to hiring partners and recruiters who say that performance in law school is more important than school ranking (Basically, doing well at Hastings is better than performing mediocre at USC).

Any thoughts?
This isn't reflected in the employment stats. Big firms take only the tip top 10% of the class at Hastings whereas they take a third of the students at USC

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:21 pm

All things equal, USC. No doubt about it. With ties to the bay area, you'll have just as good (maybe even better) of a chance at a bay area firm job from USC as you would from Hastings.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I would try to negotiate with Hastings to get more money. You must be a great candidate for Hastings if you got into USC with a good scholly. I saw in the Hastings thread that they had recently bumped up schollys for a couple of people, so it could be worth a try. USC is the safer option though at totally equal costs. I am a 1L at Hastings and live at home, and I have to admit that it's actually been really great having that kind of support as a 1L, especially if you get along really well with your family.

calawdude

New

Post by calawdude » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Some folks have mentioned your family ties to the bay area. Unless your family actually has strong professional ties to potential employers in the bay area, I wouldn't consider them ties.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I wasn't comparing them and Hastings is not a peer to usc
The entire point of this thread is to compare the two schools to the bay area. If you'e not comparing the statistics then what you're saying is completely useless. Also, for the Bay Area they should be treated as peer schools. We're not talking about employment throughout the country but rather one specific area. It's possible Hastings has better placement in the Bay Area than USC (no reliable statistics.)

Stick to what the OP is actually asking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”