Charleston School of Law or Campbell Law?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spreadhead

Charleston School of Law or Campbell Law?

Postby spreadhead » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I have been admitted to both schools and am having trouble deciding where to go. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike12188

Re: Charleston School of Law or Campbell Law?

Postby Mike12188 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 pm

COA?

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:46 pm

who?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I went to undergrad in South Carolina. I have a friend who just graduated from Charleston School of Law. She and her entire class are fighting over 40K a year jobs with no benefits.

Additionally, it is a for-profit toilet that grants practically no aid to incoming students. .02% of all received full tuition scholarships. .05% received half tuition scholarships. Tuition is 36K a year, plus living expenses.

And there's no jobs in South Carolina.

I don't know much about Campbell other than it is, at best, the 4th best school in North Carolina.

Any retakes left?

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Honestly, you aren't gonna like the answers you find on this board. Most people will tell you to retake the LSAT, and they would be right. Despite what their websites may say, neither of these schools will offer you a very good chance at gainful employment.

Take Charleston Law, for example, which, as another poster pointed out, will cost $36,000 per year in tuition alone. Add a conservative estimate of $15,000 per year in living expenses and you're already above $150,000 in debt at graduation with about a 5% chance of being able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. Does that sound like a wise investment to you?

If you're serious about law school, then get serious about preparing for the LSAT. Otherwise, think long and hard about spending three years of your life at a school that will make your job search difficult at best upon graduation.
Last edited by Real Madrid on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:58 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Honestly, you aren't gonna like the answers you find on this board. Most people will tell you to retake the LSAT, and they would be right. Despite what their websites may say, neither of these schools will offer you a very good chance at gainful employment.

Take Charleston Law, for example, which, as another poster pointed out, will cost $36,000 per year in tuition alone. Add a conservative estimate of $15,000 per year in living expenses and you're already above $150,000 in debt at graduation with about a 5% chance of being able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. Does that sound like a wise investment to you?

Bro, not even a 5% chance. There's no South Carolina biglaw. There's midlaw and small firms, and all those jobs are going to South Carolina grads, or T14/Vandy kids from SC who left the state and want to come back.

Also keep in mind that South Carolina has a shitty economy and is one of the most insular states in the country. If you have no ties or connections there, literally don't even bother. Especially at this T4 dump.

SunshineMagic

Postby SunshineMagic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:43 pm

Retake but if you must go, go to Campbell do not go to a for profit law school with no alumni...

cpinker3

Postby cpinker3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:52 pm

As someone who has lived in both North Carolina and Charleston I will have to agree with all the other posters on here. Charleston law school will be hard (if not impossible) to get you a job competing with the SC students. Then in NC you will be competing with UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest grads and even in the western part of the state you will have to compete with UTK grads. As much as I hated it when people told me.......retake.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:06 pm

cpinker3 wrote:As someone who has lived in both North Carolina and Charleston I will have to agree with all the other posters on here. Charleston law school will be hard (if not impossible) to get you a job competing with the SC students. Then in NC you will be competing with UNC, Duke, and Wake Forest grads and even in the western part of the state you will have to compete with UTK grads. As much as I hated it when people told me.......retake.

This.

Both schools are too far down the pecking order. OP, retake the LSAT, and go to a better school.

By the way, where are your from, whats your LSAT, and what kind of law do you want to practice?

Real Madrid wrote:Honestly, you aren't gonna like the answers you find on this board. Most people will tell you to retake the LSAT, and they would be right. Despite what their websites may say, neither of these schools will offer you a very good chance at gainful employment.

If you're serious about law school, then get serious about preparing for the LSAT. Otherwise, think long and hard about spending three years of your life at a school that will make your job search difficult at best upon graduation.

Well said.

lovingthelaw

Postby lovingthelaw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:20 pm

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Feel free to ignore the horrible tl;dr shit above this poast

Notice homeboy mentions nothing about career prospects, which are abysmal at best

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:24 pm

this gun be good

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:26 pm

tl;dr ^^^^

OP, when you visit these schools they will throw every trick in the book at you to convince you to give them 100k +

Be skeptical.

I wouldnt trust their representatives any more than I would trust any car sales man, insurance agent, or politician.
Last edited by Nova on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm

flem wrote:Feel free to ignore the horrible tl;dr shit above this poast

Notice homeboy mentions nothing about career prospects, which are abysmal at best

Lol at that dude charleston trolling. OP retake or don't go. This is so clear cut

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:27 pm

flem wrote:Feel free to ignore the horrible tl;dr shit above this poast

I read it up to the first link. That dude went to Marquette... enough said.

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

All you really need to know about Charleston Law is the fact that it is a provisionally-accredited, for profit dumpster fire.

I say this as someone who did my undergraduate at (unaffiliated) College of Charleston and have many, MANY friends who make the life-ruining decision to go there.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 pm

What just happened ITT? What is that morass of unintelligible dreck?

OP, the answer is neither. Neither school is a good idea at all.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”