Tell me about Texas Ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ocuviper

New

Tell me about Texas Ties

Post by ocuviper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 am

Does one need to have ties to the market or is going to UT enough to convince law firms?

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Tell me about Texas Ties

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but I am also interested in this question.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 am

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am

I'm a 1L at UT, so I'm not too sure, but I don't think they are strictly necessary. I know a few people without any ties to Texas who secured 1L SA gigs at the big TX firms. They had good grades, but I think good grades would have been necessary even if they had ties.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:01 am

I posted something similar in a thread just a few minutes ago. I'll repost in part here...

As one of the people who often pushes people to think about ties and geography, I would say not to overthink it either. A lot of people have really taken the ties thing pretty far out of context. Ties or lack thereof are NOT a golden bullet or a dealbreaker. It can, however, make a difference in convincing employers and connecting with interviewers. It is usually relevant in the Choosing a Law School Forum when someone is looking at three different mediocre schools in three ridiculously random parts of the country.

Like crit said, they aren't going to be absolutely necessary. If you have great grades, or network well, or bring something to the table, you can land a solid job there. You will have to convince them you want to be there. Oh the whole, ties are probably going to help. Texas has that "Texas swag" thing going on, and being a native would undoubtedly help you convince employers and connect with interviewers. From what I have seen in other markets, employers are typically willing to dig a little deeper into the class for people who are local natives, so it starts to really make a difference around the margins.

Where are you from? Texas is "quasi-national" and could place you into some other markets with the grades, including your home market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 am

One thing to remember about Texas is that Texans are convinced that they live in Paradise. They really don't have an issue understanding why you would want to live here. If you try to convince a Texan that you want to leave their golden state, THATS when you'll get a blank stare.

Anyway. I really don't think "Texas ties" are necessary. Network, act like you love the place, and wear some cowboy boots and nobody will give it a second thought.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 am

As someone who has spent their entire life in the state, I would say that the Texas Ties things really only extends to the grey area of applicants. I think people who do well at UT will get jerbs no matter where they are from. The ties come in when you are in the grey area and you can sit down with the partner and talk about how you grew up an Astros fan, or you went to St. Marks with their son, or played baseball at Rice.

yojuro

New

Post by yojuro » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am

Last edited by yojuro on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:One thing to remember about Texas is that Texans are convinced that they live in Paradise. They really don't have an issue understanding why you would want to live here. If you try to convince a Texan that you want to leave their golden state, THATS when you'll get a blank stare.

Anyway. I really don't think "Texas ties" are necessary. Network, act like you love the place, and wear some cowboy boots and nobody will give it a second thought.
I went to Texas over Spring Break expecting to love it. I thought I'd fit in super well. I was looking for the cowboy hats and boots and holstered six shooters. All I found was a damn ghetto. Nothing like I expected. Please tell me a better area to go next time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ASAP

New

Post by ASAP » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:27 pm

northerniowan wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:One thing to remember about Texas is that Texans are convinced that they live in Paradise. They really don't have an issue understanding why you would want to live here. If you try to convince a Texan that you want to leave their golden state, THATS when you'll get a blank stare.

I went to Texas over Spring Break expecting to love it. I thought I'd fit in super well. I was looking for the cowboy hats and boots and holstered six shooters. All I found was a damn ghetto. Nothing like I expected. Please tell me a better area to go next time.
Yes, it has really sucked being raised in a massive ghetto.

gmafb.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm

northerniowan wrote:

Given that Texas is roughly the size of New England, you're going to have to be more specific as to where you went than "Texas".

snehpets

Silver

Post by snehpets » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:11 pm

northerniowan wrote:

lol :roll:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed May 29, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:44 pm

I basically grew up on the Canadian border and have literally never been anywhere in Texas besides Austin, and I'm working two jobs here this summer. So there's that.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:47 pm

northerniowan wrote:
I have lived in Texas all my life and have never owned a pair of cowboy boots, a cowboy hat, or a gun. I live in a suburb and when I go to other states people ask me why I dont have an accent.

Sterotypes are terrible things, people.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

northerniowan wrote:
Also, you should gone to South Padre Island, Galveston or Austin during SXSW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I need to get to Austin.

More importantly I need to get my football mecca, Jerry World.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Don't go when there is an actual football game, or you'll have to allot an extra 5 hours for traffic.

Also, you need Biglaw pay to afford JerryWorld prices.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:I need to get to Austin.

So does that mean your user name is referring to my hero,

?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Nova wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I need to get to Austin.

So does that mean your user name is referring to my hero,

?
Ugh... *gag*
--ImageRemoved--
lol

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:16 pm

We all make mistakes, MTBike.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Nova wrote:We all make mistakes, MTBike.
Trust me, I know. (I'm a Packers fan, and I'm looking at you, Jermichael Finley)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”