American WCL ($18k) vs. Hastings ($22k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

AU WCL ($18k) vs. Hastings ($22k)

American University
8%
UC Hastings
92%

Total votes: 13

in_to_win

American WCL ($18k) vs. Hastings ($22k)

Postby in_to_win » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:41 am

American advantages:
1. I am interested in pursuing international energy law, or international environmental law, which according to TLS, is an area in which AU has specialization. Further, I have been accepted into the JD/MA program in International Studies at AU's School of Int'l Studies, which will essentially allow me two degrees for the price of one (according to my conversation with a representative from the WCL fin aid office)
2. From what I have read and heard from friends currently enrolled at Hastings, the academic environment at Hastings is especially cutthroat (due to its unfriendly curve). I have not heard much about the academic environment/culture at AU, but I assume it can't be worse than that of Hastings.

Hastings advantages:
1. Location--as a Los Angeles native, I'd prefer to end up working in my home state. Further, since California is a clean energy leader, my decision to study here may benefit me, should I end up pursuing international energy law.
2. LEOP program--as an admit through the LEOP program, I will be privy to exclusive academic resources (class notes, etc). However, I'm not sure if this will be enough to offset the grueling curve at Hastings

ilovesf

Re: American WCL ($18k) vs. Hastings ($22k)

Postby ilovesf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:50 am

As a current Hastings student, I don't really understand where any of these Hastings rumors really come from. Overall, if you want to work in CA, go to Hastings. And yes, LEOP gives you a huge advantage.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 pm

ilovesf wrote:As a current Hastings student, I don't really understand where any of these Hastings rumors really come from. Overall, if you want to work in CA, go to Hastings. And yes, LEOP gives you a huge advantage.

LEOP makes it easier for you to be admitted. I wouldn't call their mandatory orientation and tutoring a "huge" advantage. LEOP and "normal" students are pretty evenly distributed throughout the ranks. If you use supplements and go to office hours that's essentially the same thing as LEOP offers. Especially when you consider outline/exam banks available from other students and organizations.

---

If you want to work in CA you should go to Hastings. It will make looking for a job in CA incredibly easier. Both schools are extremely expensive but Hastings is slightly less expensive. Specialized rankings don't matter. If you want to do international environmental law at Hastings, we have the resources.

Do you really want a joint degree? You better have a really good reason otherwise you may waste time on a useless master's degree (I go to school with a lot of people who have masters degrees from high ranking schools and will never use them in their future career.) If a dual degree is really important it will be much easier to do that at American.

American also has a nasty reputation for being competitive. Hastings is competitive but I wouldn't call it "cutthroat." American probably is no worse/better.

I'm from NY and moved to CA. It would be nice to live around my friends. Talking on Facebook and over the phone isn't nearly as satisfactory as seeing them in person. Something to think about if you plan on living in Washington, D.C. for 3 years.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:26 am

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "international energy law?"

American is pretty much always a big fat no, especially here since we're talking 150k+. Also, "specialties" are meaningless. American's "international" schtick is a marketing ploy.

Hastings seems solid, but the debt you're talking about is still pretty hefty. Any contributions from savings or family we should be aware of? I'd be wary of both of these options.

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:58 am

Don't go to American no matter what.

Also, you are unlikely to get a job in international energy law or international environmental law no matter what school you attend.
If you only want to become a lawyer to work in these fields, you need to do a little more research into what kinds of job openings there are for recent grads (Hint: there are none)

What is your GPA / LSAT?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "international energy law?"

American is pretty much always a big fat no, especially here since we're talking 150k+. Also, "specialties" are meaningless. American's "international" schtick is a marketing ploy.

I think you're more likely to find the meaning of life than to understand "international energy law." :P

flem

Postby flem » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "international energy law?"

Yeah bruh unless you're talking about some oil and gas pipeline shit from Canada to the US I'm pretty sure you're SOL as I don't think this is a real thing

Return to “Choosing a Law School”