University of Pittsburgh v Indiana University Indianapolis?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SahandSR

University of Pittsburgh v Indiana University Indianapolis?

Postby SahandSR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey guys and gals,

So it's time to pick the school I will be attending. It's come down to University of Pittsburgh and Indiana University Indianapolis. I wanted to see if I could get some input from everyone. Pittsburgh v Indianapolis?

My decision will be based off of two big factors: most importantly, career prospects. I don't need to work for a huge law firm, but the bigger the better. Secondly, quality of life in terms of the student body and the actual cities.

I live in California and haven't had the chance to visit either or so any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

imbored25

Re: University of Pittsburgh v Indiana University Indianapolis?

Postby imbored25 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:54 pm

why aren't you going to school in cali, these are both pretty insular markets, do you have any ties.
if you have to pick btw these two id go with pitt

SahandSR

Postby SahandSR » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I only applied to UOP McGeorge and Loyola LA. I didn't get into Loyola. McGeorge I got into but I've lived in Sacramento damn near my entire life. McGeorge is well respected in the area but doesn't have much reach elsewhere. I'm not sure I want to commit to McGeorge and end up in Sac longer.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:56 am

If career prospects are most important to you, then you're looking at the wrong schools. Retake and reapply.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 am

SahandSR wrote:I only applied to UOP McGeorge and Loyola LA. I didn't get into Loyola. McGeorge I got into but I've lived in Sacramento damn near my entire life. McGeorge is well respected in the area but doesn't have much reach elsewhere. I'm not sure I want to commit to McGeorge and end up in Sac longer.

And you think Pitt and IU-Indy do?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am

stillwater wrote:
SahandSR wrote:I only applied to UOP McGeorge and Loyola LA. I didn't get into Loyola. McGeorge I got into but I've lived in Sacramento damn near my entire life. McGeorge is well respected in the area but doesn't have much reach elsewhere. I'm not sure I want to commit to McGeorge and end up in Sac longer.

And you think Pitt and IU-Indy do?

This

Also, total cost of attendance at each? I understand you don't necessarily want to work for a big firm, but you need to if you're incurring 150K worth of debt.

Why are you applying to schools in areas where you have no ties to that you haven't visited? Seems like a recipe for a bad time.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:50 am

tflem, ties don't matter brah. Haven't you heard?

OP, these schools place very regionally and into VERY small markets. Also, what kind of debt are we taking about? If you are taking out six figures of debt, biglaw or midlaw become sort of a necessity unless you want to live like a student for the next ten years. There are very few entry level firm jobs that pay in the high-five figure or six-figure range in either of these cities (I think in Indianapolis it is probably like 30-40, and only a small handful of those go to IU-I). Those aren't good odds.

If you are concerned with job prospects and "reach," or have any desire for a mid/big firm, then you are looking in the wrong place. These schools do not offer what you're looking for.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”