Texas Wesleyan Law vs Oklahoma City University Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lisjjen

Silver

Re: Texas Wesleyan Law vs Oklahoma City University Law

Post by lisjjen » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:18 pm

kalvano wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:If really a real person don't go. The fact that theses schools suck nationally really doesn't mean anything. The problem is that these schools are literally the very worst schools in a five state region. I'm not saying don't go cuz you would be the butt of a lot of jokes-- you would, but this may/may not bother you--, I'm saying don't go because you would be paying over 100k to literally be last in line for employment. Your odds for success are horrible. Just retake and get into at least Tech w/$$$.
100% this.

Some schools, despite being poorly ranked, do pretty well for the region they are in and are somewhat solid choices, depending on the finances involved. For an example, see Texas Tech.

Neither of the schools here fall into that category. They are simply terrible, terrible schools.
Seriously. These are not regional schools. These are terrible schools. Every time I go to a function at a big firm, if there's 20 lawyers in the room, 10 will be from UT, 10 will be from the T14. If there are 21 lawyers in the room, there may be a grad from the University of Houston or SMU but you can see the sadness in their eyes because that they had to kill everyone else in their graduating class with a plastic spork to get that position.

Guess where Texas Wesleyan and OK City are on that food chain?

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:29 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Do you know Keely James?

Go with Twes

Keely James is a bitch.

aep1989

New

Post by aep1989 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:26 pm

Is Texas Wesleyan still not worth going to with a full scholarship and if one wants to work in a small law firm?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:34 pm

aep1989 wrote:Is Texas Wesleyan still not worth going to with a full scholarship and if one wants to work in a small law firm?
It's really about the end outcome.

If it's both 1) free and 2) you have guaranteed legal work lined up, then it's a great option.

It doesn't matter if it's free and you end up unable to find legal work at the end of it. Then you've just lost three years of your life and 45-60K in living expenses.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:35 pm

aep1989 wrote:Is Texas Wesleyan still not worth going to with a full scholarship and if one wants to work in a small law firm?
Nope. The only time I would be able to say it's worth going to is if you have a full scholarship and have a job already, and have a guaranteed promotion if you have a JD, and they don't care where it's from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oklahoma2014

New

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:13 pm

kapachino wrote:

Go with Twes

Keely James is a bitch.
Why all the hate regarding Keely James? Just curious. I only interacted with her a handful of times but she seemed nice to me. In all reality, this site has been a much greater resource than the "pre-law" department at OSU, but that would not classify her as a b**ch to me.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:17 pm

Oklahoma2014 wrote:
kapachino wrote:

Go with Twes

Keely James is a bitch.
Why all the hate regarding Keely James? Just curious. I only interacted with her a handful of times but she seemed nice to me. In all reality, this site has been a much greater resource than the "pre-law" department at OSU, but that would not classify her as a b**ch to me.
I don't know anyone who later went to a good law school after graduating from OSU who ever had a single conversation with Mrs James. Surely many people did, but I know five people who went T1 all the way to T-14 and none of them asked for her advice.

I think pre-law advisors are generally a pretty worthless lot... I mean, we have too many lawyers as is; hire someone who will tell undergrads to stay away!

mam5357

New

Post by mam5357 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:45 am

Be Careful with either one of those law schools. a few things

-Remember some of the people who go to Tex Wes are people who were accepted to other schools like Texas Tech, and other tier 2/3 schools. They choose Tex Wes because they recieved full-rides, and they can dominate their class; which means place higher in the class, better internships, and seize the jobs after graduation.

-Some other people who go to Tex Wes are those who were kicked out of other law schools like University of Texas,Harvard, and other top schools. This gives them the advantage of knowing the material, and like the people above will secure the top spots in the class.

-Keep in mind also that not only are you competing with some of the Big Texas schools( UT,Baylor,SMU,UH), but also with other schools like Tulane,Vanderbilt,WUSTL, and others when it comes to jobs.

So to sum it up. I would only go to one of those schools if I had FULL RIDE to them. Otherwise take the LSAT again, and apply again to other schools.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:21 pm

mam5357 wrote:-Some other people who go to Tex Wes are those who were kicked out of other law schools like University of Texas,Harvard, and other top schools. This gives them the advantage of knowing the material, and like the people above will secure the top spots in the class.
lol wut

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mam5357

New

Post by mam5357 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:00 am

Sorry for the poor grammer.

point is that people who were kicked out of some prestigous law schools go to Tex Wes, and they have an advantage over new 1Ls.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:12 am

mam5357 wrote:Sorry for the poor grammer.

point is that people who were kicked out of some prestigous law schools go to Tex Wes, and they have an advantage over new 1Ls.
The comment wasn't directed at your grammar, but the claim (people who are kicked out of higher ranked schools attend Tex Wes at a rate that is non-negligible). Do you have any proof to back it up?

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:58 am

I'm from Texas, all 22 years, and had never heard of of either of these universities having law schools until just now.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:11 am

hookem7 wrote:I'm from Texas, all 22 years, and had never heard of of either of these universities having law schools until just now.
Uh that's cuz these law schools are super sneaky prestigious. There really should be a whole new specialty ranking for this, if you ask me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mam5357

New

Post by mam5357 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:13 am

I cant pull out any fact sheets, but I have talked to 1L's there. They say they have met people who were kicked out of prestigous law schools, and were accepted by TWU.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:22 pm

For some reason I doubt this. If I were to get kicked out of Harvard, I don't think my next plan of attack would be to head to TxWes. Anybody can say something happened, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal evidence.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:31 pm

mam5357 wrote:I cant pull out any fact sheets, but I have talked to 1L's there. They say they have met people who were kicked out of prestigous law schools, and were accepted by TWU.
I dont doubt that there could be a student or two at Tex Wes that was a drop out from a higher ranked school. But the idea that Tex Wes is where previous drop outs flock seems bizarre to me (as does the suggestion that these students comprise a large enough number of students so as to be included in an analysis about thinking about the curve for 1Ls).

mam5357

New

Post by mam5357 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:05 pm

But when you get kicked out of law school....it's really bad, and it's not that uncommon to hear of former tier 1 students being pushed down to tier 4. True, I dont know how many of these students there are. You just need to keep in mind that for the job prospects that Tex Wes compete for it might be wise to look somewhere else. You can get a small law job with them, but i dont think its worth all that money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:37 am

Since the OP has not answered, I have a new question for y'all:

How should I go about convincing a friend to not go to Texas Wesleyan? Nonchalantly link him to the TLS article on Wesleyan (which by now is very outdated)?

I know that, relatively, someone out there probably wants to convince me from going to my T2 choices, even though they both have strong regional prestige and good job credentials. However, for many of the reasons discussed in this thread, I've viewed Wesleyan as a death sentence. The massive debt, CoL, and impossibility of landing a job in your home market of DFW is just sickening.

Oklahoma2014

New

Post by Oklahoma2014 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Calchexas wrote:Since the OP has not answered, I have a new question for y'all:

How should I go about convincing a friend to not go to Texas Wesleyan? Nonchalantly link him to the TLS article on Wesleyan (which by now is very outdated)?

I know that, relatively, someone out there probably wants to convince me from going to my T2 choices, even though they both have strong regional prestige and good job credentials. However, for many of the reasons discussed in this thread, I've viewed Wesleyan as a death sentence. The massive debt, CoL, and impossibility of landing a job in your home market of DFW is just sickening.
You probably don't have to direct him specifically to Wesleyan info. Just send him links to TLS, LSN, law school transparency, etc. telling him these are sites where he can research the schools that interest him.

I was actually pretty blind to all the negatives myself before I stumbled across TLS. In fact, at one point Oklahoma City was my top choice. They were closest to my home and I figured it didn't matter which school I went to anyway. We all have to pass the bar, right? That's all I figured that mattered.

Anyway, good luck, just don't be an azz about it. If he ends up going there, so be it. Had OCU been my only option I probably would have still went. Just being honest.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Calchexas wrote:Since the OP has not answered, I have a new question for y'all:

Ok but what T2 has "good job credentials?" Depends on how you define the terms of course but I don't know any 25-50 schools with good job credentials.

PS: I'm just assuming I know what you mean by good job credentials.

Calchexas

New

Post by Calchexas » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm

^Relative term, so take it with a grain of salt. My use of the word "good" should = "small smidgeon of hope of ever entering federal clerkship or biglaw, high probability of full-time legal employment upon graduation, and debt under six figures."

Oklahoma: thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Calchexas wrote:^Relative term, so take it with a grain of salt. My use of the word "good" should = "small smidgeon of hope of ever entering federal clerkship or biglaw, high probability of full-time legal employment upon graduation, and debt under six figures."

Oklahoma: thanks!
Uh there are only like.. 1.. T2 that has more than half of its class employed at graduation. That isn't even "full-time legal."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”