Loyola LA sticker or USD $23k?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I choose?

Loyola Law School Los Angeles
20%
University of San Diego
80%

Total votes: 5

kaltopee

Loyola LA sticker or USD $23k?

Postby kaltopee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 pm

I would like to practice either in LA or in the bay area. I applied to USD because I'm not opposed to working in San Diego but I'd much prefer LA. I also plan to do tax law although both USD's and Loyola's tax programs seem comparable. If I go to Loyola, then I will definitely do the Tax LLM dual degree program.

My concern is whether Loyola at sticker is worth it. I know a number of reactions to these types of posts with Tier 2 schools are retake the LSAT but I am not able to do that. Anyone else considering either of these schools and have any advice for me?

I have already asked Loyola for financial aid and they said they'll have a better idea in May. I don't mind paying the first deposit as they have made it refundable since they can't tell me about money yet.

As for USD, I was originally awarded $18k but appealed and received $23k. I have paid the first deposit as well.

Thoughts? Votes?

Re: Loyola LA sticker or USD $23k?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Stips?

kaltopee

Postby kaltopee » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:40 pm

The only stip for USD's $23k is to show financial need which I will definitely have. It's really tempting.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:41 pm

kaltopee wrote:The only stip for USD's $23k is to show financial need which I will definitely have. It's really tempting.

If you don't want to retake the LSAT, take this, and drop out after 1L if you're not in the top-10%. (Note that there is about a 90% chance of this happening.)

The Rover

Postby The Rover » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:50 am

kaltopee wrote: I know a number of reactions to these types of posts with Tier 2 schools are retake the LSAT but I am not able to do that.

Why not?

flem

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:09 am

kaltopee wrote:I would like to practice either in LA or in the bay area. I applied to USD because I'm not opposed to working in San Diego but I'd much prefer LA. I also plan to do tax law although both USD's and Loyola's tax programs seem comparable. If I go to Loyola, then I will definitely do the Tax LLM dual degree program.

My concern is whether Loyola at sticker is worth it. I know a number of reactions to these types of posts with Tier 2 schools are retake the LSAT but I am not able to do that. Anyone else considering either of these schools and have any advice for me?

I have already asked Loyola for financial aid and they said they'll have a better idea in May. I don't mind paying the first deposit as they have made it refundable since they can't tell me about money yet.

As for USD, I was originally awarded $18k but appealed and received $23k. I have paid the first deposit as well.

Thoughts? Votes?

Loyola at sticker is financial suicide. I don't know if their LLM program is worth it in general if it's not from a few specific schools (NYU and G'Town, specifically)

USD at that price isn't terrible but be prepared to drop out, as SBL mentioned.

Why are you unable to retake? Is it because you don't want to? Or have you maxed out retakes? "I want to go right now" is not really a compelling reason to limit your career prospects if that's where you're at.

kaltopee

Postby kaltopee » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for the input! I'm unable to retake because I have a special case with lsac. I can retake in 4 years which is quite long for me to wait so I've decided to go to school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”