Harvard (sticker) v Penn (60k) v Chicago (90k)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jlc141

Harvard (sticker) v Penn (60k) v Chicago (90k)

Postby jlc141 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Want to work in Philadelphia or NYC when I graduate. Not sure which type of law I'd like to practice. Parents are pushing me to go to Harvard. Thoughts? Am I being foolish to turn down 90k at Chicago if Harvard will likely not give me any grant money? And if I want to work in Philly would it make more sense for me to go to Penn?

Tadatsune

Re: Harvard (sticker) v Penn (60k) v Chicago (90k)

Postby Tadatsune » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:48 pm

Tough call. Any way to get more money out of Penn?

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 pm

This all depends on two factors:

1) if Harvard gives you any need based aid, which they are well known to do

and

2) if not, is Harvard 90K more than UChicago, largely for lay prestige, to you?

I'd say Penn is out. Nice options.

Curious1

Postby Curious1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:52 pm

flem wrote:This all depends on two factors:

and

I always say Harvard in these polls, but just wanted to point out that Harvard having no grades = huge plus. So it's not only lay prestige.

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Curious1 wrote:
I always say Harvard in these polls, but just wanted to point out that Harvard having no grades = huge plus. So it's not only lay prestige.

Yeah, there's that too. I didn't say only though. There are obviously other factors. But placement for prestigious shit is great at any of these schools, so it's going to come down to debt aversion and preference for other factors at the school. No grades is a huge plus.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Are you applying to Harvard's need-based aid? If so, you should wait to hear if you get any money from them.

I think this really depends on your goals. If you want biglaw or PI, I would take Chicago. If you're hoping for an AIII or maybe going into a law-related field, then the Harvard name should help.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Weird group of options. Harvard gives you some cushion with getting a job, but I can understand being dubious of sticker price. No money from NYU I take it? Assuming you're in Philly now, I can see taking Penn if they match the UChi money. Relocating to the midwest isn't worth it for everybody.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:00 pm

jlc141 wrote:Want to work in Philadelphia or NYC when I graduate. Not sure which type of law I'd like to practice. Parents are pushing me to go to Harvard. Thoughts? Am I being foolish to turn down 90k at Chicago if Harvard will likely not give me any grant money? And if I want to work in Philly would it make more sense for me to go to Penn?

Cambridge.

jlc141

Postby jlc141 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:01 pm

flem wrote:This all depends on two factors:

and

I'm leaning toward Harvard because I prefer Cambridge to Chicago and really liked the campus when I visited. I wasn't expecting to get money from Chicago and was set on Harvard before I heard back from them. I just don't want to put myself in a bad position financially seeing as I'll be taking out loans to cover my entire tuition (KJD but parents won't be contributing)

flem

Postby flem » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:03 pm

jlc141 wrote:
I'm leaning toward Harvard because I prefer Cambridge to Chicago and really liked the campus when I visited. I wasn't expecting to get money from Chicago and was set on Harvard before I heard back from them. I just don't want to put myself in a bad position financially seeing as I'll be taking out loans to cover my entire tuition (KJD but parents won't be contributing)

Doorkeeper wrote:Are you applying to Harvard's need-based aid? If so, you should wait to hear if you get any money from them.

This should help you out a ton.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:32 pm

If you are in doubt, Harvard is the best option. It will keep the most doors open, and provide biggest safety cushion.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:55 pm

jlc141 wrote:Parents are pushing me to go to Harvard.

jlc141 wrote:parents won't be contributing

Tell your parents to cover some of those Harvard costs and go there.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 am

See if you can't get more out of Penn. If anything they should respond to 90k from Chicago + a Harvard acceptance. As it stands, between Penn and Chicago, I would probably take Penn since your secondary market is Philadelphia. It's going to be harder to get back to Philadelphia from Chicago than Penn (if only because I doubt many Philly firms do OCI at Chicago so you are going to have to do a lot more hustling to find a job). Harvard still probably wins here since its worth 90k more than Chicago given your career plans and 60k more than Penn. If you can get Penn up to 90k you probably should take it over Harvard, but it would be a tough choice...

jlc141

Postby jlc141 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 pm

chasgoose wrote:See if you can't get more out of Penn. If anything they should respond to 90k from Chicago + a Harvard acceptance. As it stands, between Penn and Chicago, I would probably take Penn since your secondary market is Philadelphia. It's going to be harder to get back to Philadelphia from Chicago than Penn (if only because I doubt many Philly firms do OCI at Chicago so you are going to have to do a lot more hustling to find a job). Harvard still probably wins here since its worth 90k more than Chicago given your career plans and 60k more than Penn. If you can get Penn up to 90k you probably should take it over Harvard, but it would be a tough choice...

Penn agreed to up my merit package to a Dean's Fellow scholarship worth 90k. I believe that I will be accepting the offer, seeing as I want to practice in Philadelphia when I graduate. Thank you for the advice!

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Didn't read any of this. Unless you have a full ride somewhere, go to H. You won't regret it.

Good luck!

E

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 pm

jlc141 wrote:
chasgoose wrote:See if you can't get more out of Penn. If anything they should respond to 90k from Chicago + a Harvard acceptance. As it stands, between Penn and Chicago, I would probably take Penn since your secondary market is Philadelphia. It's going to be harder to get back to Philadelphia from Chicago than Penn (if only because I doubt many Philly firms do OCI at Chicago so you are going to have to do a lot more hustling to find a job). Harvard still probably wins here since its worth 90k more than Chicago given your career plans and 60k more than Penn. If you can get Penn up to 90k you probably should take it over Harvard, but it would be a tough choice...

Penn agreed to up my merit package to a Dean's Fellow scholarship worth 90k. I believe that I will be accepting the offer, seeing as I want to practice in Philadelphia when I graduate. Thank you for the advice!

This may be somewhat delusional but I think Penn students who don't have a PA tie are viewed with skepticism since Penn places so well in NY...

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Debt is temporary (even non-dischargable debt). Harvard on your resume will continue to pay dividends long after other schools.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:48 pm

The rare Penn + Philly ties combination = a near-lock for local biglaw, barring absolutely abysmal grades/interview skills. Philly is among the more insular of the secondary markets, and the Penn name does mean quite a lot here when one can convince a local firm they're not just going to jump ship for New York or DC.

Going to Harvard won't really provide a boost over Penn in Philadelphia, but for New York, it'll change a "pretty sure thing" into a "damn near sure thing," so that's something else to consider. If you favor Philly go to Penn, but if you're more ambivalent about where you want to work, Harvard for sure.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:48 pm

I think that you misunderstand the term "non-dischargeable debt". Student loans can be temporary, but, as "non-dischargeable debt", it can be non-temporary (aka permanent).

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I think that you misunderstand the term "non-dischargeable debt". Student loans can be temporary, but, as "non-dischargeable debt", it can be non-temporary (aka permanent).

My understanding is that student loans = non-dischargeable debt. But the idea is that you're supposed to pay them off with your cushy lawyer salary.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:52 pm

But the idea of one having a "cushy lawyer salary" is long gone unfortunately.

norcalChk

Postby norcalChk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Harvard... Really, any of the big 3 (Harvard, Yale, Stanford) beats out all the others.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”