Same School As Undergrad?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
matt690

Same School As Undergrad?

Postby matt690 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 am

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick but important question.

What is everyone's opinion on attending law school at the same university as undergrad?

Are there any pros or cons as to doing this (not a top 25 school)? How much does school matter if it is not a top 25 school? Would I already be able to take advantage of alumni from the school since I went there as an undergrad, and would it be more beneficial to branch out and go to another school to tap into another alumni base? Would going to a different school be positive diversification, and would remaining at the same one be viewed negatively? Is this a relevant factor to weigh when choosing the school v.s. a similarly ranked but different one?

Thanks so much.

moonman157

Re: Same School As Undergrad?

Postby moonman157 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:23 am

matt690 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have a quick but important question.

What is everyone's opinion on attending law school at the same university as undergrad?

Are there any pros or cons as to doing this (not a top 25 school)? How much does school matter if it is not a top 25 school? Would I already be able to take advantage of alumni from the school since I went there as an undergrad, and would it be more beneficial to branch out and go to another school to tap into another alumni base? Would going to a different school be positive diversification, and would remaining at the same one be viewed negatively? Is this a relevant factor to weigh when choosing the school v.s. a similarly ranked but different one?

Thanks so much.

I can't speak too much about this, but I do know a few individuals who attended the same law/undergrad, and they stressed to me how hard it can be to break away from the undergraduate lifestyle when a lot of your friends are still on campus and inviting you out all the time. Keep in mind they went to Big Ten schools, where there is an active bar/sports scene, so it may be different if it's not a big party school, but something to consider.

One advantage that may exist is that it shows a commitment to the area that could be attractive to employers if you're in a regional market.

bdole2

Re: Same School As Undergrad?

Postby bdole2 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:33 am

There may be a slight advantage to having a second alumni base, but it should not be a major factor in choosing your law school. Go where you can keep your debt the lowest in the market you want to practice in.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”