OSU v. George Mason Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

OSU
71%
GMU
29%

Total votes: 24

bdole2

Bronze

Re: OSU v. George Mason

Post by bdole2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:34 am

BearsGrl wrote: And seeing as you responded, you care. Don't care? Don't respond. :D

Exactly what OP said above, if not OSU/GMU alum or current student, leave the thread.
Nobody cares if you have a crush on Romo. I do care that you keep posting BS all over the place.

You are not an OSU/GMU current student or alum either there bud.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:47 am

BearsGrl wrote:Hahaha I love how all of the responses are from non-OSU and non-GMU posters.

So much RC fail.

OP- Listen to folks like Lifestooquick. I "followed" (not meant to sound scary at all) her in a previous cycle and she's been nothing but accommodating and will make an excellent counselor.
:oops: <3

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:24 am

BearsGrl wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Hahaha I love how all of the responses are from non-OSU and non-GMU posters.
You don't need to go to GMU to know that sticker at GMU is a terrible idea.
Just incidentally OP, for c/o 2011, 69/170 got jobs that will allow someone to even have a hope of repaying $200k in loans.

13 in biglaw (firms of 100+), 52 in govt. and PI (10 year loan forgiveness), and 4 AIII clerks.

That's a 41% shot. Keep in mind that 80% of biglaw associates are out by year 5, generally making solid, but less than $160k biglaw money. Also for govt., you have to not get laid off for 10 years, and make a measly salary while doing it.

In 2010, it was a 43% shot.

http://www.law.gmu.edu/career/employment_information
Except for OP said he wants DC which is not a cheap market unless he wants to live in Anacostia.

You keep talking about BigLaw. OP has already said he is fine with debt issues. Also, OP can move to a market that is mid-sized and pay less in rent/mortgage (I'd say rent for awhile) to off-set costs. And I love statistics where you show that 80% of people didn't feel like handling the burden of BigLaw. So people enter BigLaw only to fail. OP seems reasonable so I love how you put him in the 80% zone without considering that he could be a 20%er. Glass half empty folks are always fun to be around.

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 am

Man, this has gotten ugly...

OSU student here. Don't assume you'll end up on top, ever (duh).

If you're DC or bust, retake. GM isn't going to get you where you need to be, and as noted, there's been huge federal freezes. Way too much debt for not enough payoff.

It's not a cakewalk in Ohio, but there's a decent amount of profs who work in DC who are quite vocal about helping students, and as mentioned, the DC program. No, it's not your best shot at DC. I think around 5-10% of the class ends up in DC, and that's largely due to self-selection. Most people I've met want to stay in Ohio. If you're looking for work around Pittsburgh/WV, there's a decent amount of OCI stuff for those areas, and I've definitely met some Pitt/WV people who are intending to return. Again, nothing's easy now, but there are jobs with your background.

I would not do GM for what you're saying you want. I think OSU would give you a better shot at a job, and make it easier to pay off debt.

JoeMo

Gold

Post by JoeMo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 am

Duke Silver wrote:Man, this has gotten ugly...

If you're DC or bust, retake. GM isn't going to get you where you need to be, and as noted, there's been huge federal freezes. Way too much debt for not enough payoff.

It's not a cakewalk in Ohio, but there's a decent amount of profs who work in DC who are quite vocal about helping students, and as mentioned, the DC program. No, it's not your best shot at DC. I think around 5-10% of the class ends up in DC, and that's largely due to self-selection. Most people I've met want to stay in Ohio. If you're looking for work around Pittsburgh/WV, there's a decent amount of OCI stuff for those areas, and I've definitely met some Pitt/WV people who are intending to return. Again, nothing's easy now, but there are jobs with your background.

I would not do GM for what you're saying you want. I think OSU would give you a better shot at a job, and make it easier to pay off debt.
This is solid advice.

We got so far off track with the DC thing (since it seems like OP really wants to go to GMU) that I forgot about the Pitt thing. Out of these two options OSU is probably the better option for that reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:06 am

JoeMo wrote:

This is solid advice.

We got so far off track with the DC thing (since it seems like OP really wants to go to GMU) that I forgot about the Pitt thing. Out of these two options OSU is probably the better option for that reason.
Credited. Ohio State isn't a terrible option, and it's the better of the two for sure. These choices are just incompatible with his career goals, particularly GMU.

Also Duke Silver is a great username.

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am

tfleming09 wrote:
JoeMo wrote:

This is solid advice.

Credited. Ohio State isn't a terrible option, and it's the better of the two for sure. These choices are just incompatible with his career goals, particularly GMU.

Also Duke Silver is a great username.
:D http://www.dukesilver.com/

And yeah, obviously if he's set on DC, a retake is in order. As discussed, competing with Georgetown+GW+American+the other T14 kids who want DC from GM during a slow time for federal hiring freezes seems like a terrible choice. To be honest, I'd rather try and do OSU and use the DC program/alumni network for it than the huge amount of debt at GM. But yeah....gonna be rough either way. OP seems like he's set on not retaking, but if those are his goals, it seems like the best call.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am

I sent pm's to some OSU students, but could anybody chime in on a few of these questions if they know.

What's the student body interaction like?
Any more detail about the DC program?
How are the professors?
How is the administration/CSO?
What is the overall vibe of the community/Columbus?

Anything else you think would help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:26 am

These things just get out of hand and no one listens. OP, if you are still there, try to focus on one detail at a time. Please, please investigate whether median grades roughly equal median salary. The answer to this question, which so far you have seemed to write off, is actually incredibly important and pertinent to your future.

Like... potentially.. the most important question of your life, type of thing, question.

If you'd like advice on how to get schools to admit what median students actually do, please send me a PM.

GL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:28 am

Incubateus wrote:I sent pm's to some OSU students, but could anybody chime in on a few of these questions if they know.

How are the professors?

Good to see your still around!! I have a buddy whose email I have no problem giving out sans his permission. He is a 2L at OSU. I think he hates Ohio. Oh by the way he is asian. Want to speak with him? PM me.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:29 am

PS my asian friend is doing just fine in Ohio without ties #stillmadaboutyesterday

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:PS my asian friend is doing just fine in Ohio without ties #stillmadaboutyesterday
But what are his grades though? (serious)

Just a quick question, don't mean to derail the thread at all. Also, the ties thread really helped kill my workday yesterday.

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 am

Also, I'm from Columbus, and people generally seem to like it here. Cheap CoL and there's a ton of bars/restaurants/random things. My boyfriend just moved here (from New Orleans) and seems pretty happy.
Incubateus wrote:I sent pm's to some OSU students, but could anybody chime in on a few of these questions if they know.

How are the professors?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:PS my asian friend is doing just fine in Ohio without ties #stillmadaboutyesterday

Just a quick question, don't mean to derail the thread at all. Also, the ties thread really helped kill my workday yesterday.
Dunno think median. Dude. You said tie-breaker yourself yesterday. I'm happy at agreeing to tentatively agree on this, and move on.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:36 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Dunno think median. Dude. You said tie-breaker yourself yesterday. I'm happy at agreeing to tentatively agree on this, and move on.
Just wondering broseph

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 am

tfleming09 wrote:

If you go to tOSU, that IS your tie in Ohio, particularly in Columbus. The summer gigs I know about correspond most highly with grades, prior work experience, personality, and diversity status. For both those with [other] ties to Ohio and those without ties outside of tOSU.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

Lwoods wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

If you go to tOSU, that IS your tie in Ohio, particularly in Columbus. The summer gigs I know about correspond most highly with grades, prior work experience, personality, and diversity status. For both those with [other] ties to Ohio and those without ties outside of tOSU.
+342

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:47 am

Lwoods wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

+a million. people freaking LOVE this university.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:40 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Lwoods wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:

+a million. people freaking LOVE this university.
You two are so attractive, and this above all else makes you correct and trustworthy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”