Hastings v. Pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby calawdude » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:26 pm

OP, I don't think those tuition numbers are accurate.

http://law.pepperdine.edu/financial-ass ... ttendance/ (tuition alone: $44,920)

--LinkRemoved-- (46,575)

I remember seeing the total estimated cost for Hastings somewhere and it was $67k-something, but Pepperdine is like $68k-something.

User avatar
ckelly85
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby ckelly85 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:00 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:Well since Pepperdine hates gay people I would probably avoid studying human rights crap there.


This made the thread worth it, for me.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:52 pm

calawdude wrote:Pepperdine is very right wing (they were so proud of Ken Starr that they made him Dean!!!) so I don't know if the atmosphere there will be good for training in your desired field.

With that said, I still think the biggest factor is that Pepperdine is very conservative and Hastings is in the heart of SF, so Hastings will most likely provide a better environment for that type of study.



= speaking out of total ignorance.

Pepp has an Asylum Clinic which is by its very nature related to human rights issues led by Ret. Judge Bruce Einhorn. Also opportunities to spend the summer in Uganda working on these issues if you are so motivated. Also doing work in Myanmar through the International Justice Mission. Also has a particular professor dedicated to issues related to human trafficking with a focus on how this issue affects women. If you have the resources to afford to select a school based on your passion in these areas, look to the actual opportunities they present.
If you do not have the resources to embark on this path, listen to the others in this thread with respect to the limited career opportunities in this area regardless of school.
In any event, you should not be dissuaded by someone who thinks that what they read somewhere regarding a school's relative ideology will impact your opportunities.
Careers in this field are limited, especially in the law. If you understand that, go after your dreams, tempered by a hard look at how accumulating debt will make it difficult to pursue them after graduation.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby 20160810 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Hastings, this isn't close.

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby JamesChapman23 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:20 pm

200k to practice in a pretend field?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby 20160810 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:21 pm

JamesChapman23 wrote:200k to practice in a pretend field?

Well I didn't say either was a good idea, but of the two, Hastings and it isn't close. Better to get kicked in the balls once than five times.

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby JamesChapman23 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:25 pm

SBL wrote:
JamesChapman23 wrote:200k to practice in a pretend field?

Well I didn't say either was a good idea, but of the two, Hastings and it isn't close. Better to get kicked in the balls once than five times.


Fair enough mate.

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby calawdude » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:46 pm

1ferret!, you're going to be a lawyer? That's scary. Ken Starr, Ken Starr!!! Haha.


Don't take my word for it. Trust TLS.

This is what TLS said on the Pepperdine page: "Pepperdine is known as a bastion of conservatism, however, and all students, liberal and conservative alike, should keep this in mind, as it is sure to affect their law school experience."

I'm sure Pepperdine has great programs, but it's so conservative that TLS has to caution people. Also, I think EdgarWinter might have a point. I mean, learning how to be a human rights lawyer at a school that hates gays? Come on.
Last edited by calawdude on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EdgarWinter
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby EdgarWinter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Honestly I think they should just close Pepperdine's lawl school (or the whole university for that matter) and build a resort or something. Doing so would make the world a better place.

And OP I'd probably look into nonlegal things/taking year off/retaking/etc. Sorry to say that (I know it probably sucks to hear it).

indo
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby indo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:Honestly I think they should just close Pepperdine's lawl school (or the whole university for that matter) and build a resort or something. Doing so would make the world a better place.

And OP I'd probably look into nonlegal things/taking year off/retaking/etc. Sorry to say that (I know it probably sucks to hear it).



Someone wake up from the wrong side of bed ?

why are you so hateful to Pepperdine ?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:42 am

calawdude wrote:1ferret!, you're going to be a lawyer? That's scary. Ken Starr, Ken Starr!!! Haha.


Don't take my word for it. Trust TLS.

This is what TLS said on the Pepperdine page: "Pepperdine is known as a bastion of conservatism, however, and all students, liberal and conservative alike, should keep this in mind, as it is sure to affect their law school experience."

I'm sure Pepperdine has great programs, but it's so conservative that TLS has to caution people. Also, I think EdgarWinter might have a point. I mean, learning how to be a human rights lawyer at a school that hates gays? Come on.


I wouldn't put much stock in the TLS write ups

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby calawdude » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 pm

Borhas wrote:
calawdude wrote:1ferret!, you're going to be a lawyer? That's scary. Ken Starr, Ken Starr!!! Haha.


Don't take my word for it. Trust TLS.

This is what TLS said on the Pepperdine page: "Pepperdine is known as a bastion of conservatism, however, and all students, liberal and conservative alike, should keep this in mind, as it is sure to affect their law school experience."

I'm sure Pepperdine has great programs, but it's so conservative that TLS has to caution people. Also, I think EdgarWinter might have a point. I mean, learning how to be a human rights lawyer at a school that hates gays? Come on.


I wouldn't put much stock in the TLS write ups


It's pretty much agreed upon. The school has traditionally been very conservative.

Here's an article by the New York Times. It's called "A Law School Where Jesus Is the Ultimate Case Study." I have no problem with Jesus--just saying the school's fairly conservative.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/25/us/a- ... all&src=pm

This is from the USNWR page on Pepperdine:

Pepperdine School of Law is affiliated with the Churches of Christ and “expresses its Christian principles through all aspects of academic life and administrative policy,” according to the school’s website.

OP, just some food for thought. Good luck either way.

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49 pm

calawdude wrote:
Don't take my word for it. Trust TLS.



You just made my point. Your opinion is based on a website write-up and an article from the Times that I'm sure you just Googled. Even if Pepperdine is conservative, your argument still fails to be persuasive.

Your argument goes something like this:
Pepperdine is conservative relative to Hastings.
Therefore, if one were to study human rights, one would be better off attending Hastings.

But it just doesn't follow.

My points are these.
A. You don't know what you are talking about re the culture at Pepperdine.
B. One should look to the actual opportunities at the comparable schools to determine which is best to attend with respect to OP's goals.
C. You have failed to offer anything which would show that the relative ideology of a school impacts opportunities in this area.

Your rant is unpersuasive and unhelpful to the OP. You should stop posting.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:51 pm

1ferret! wrote:
Your argument goes something like this:
Pepperdine is conservative relative to Hastings.
Therefore, if one were to study human rights, one would be better off attending Hastings.



You don't see ANY irony in studying human rights at Pepperdine?

User avatar
1ferret!
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:06 pm

That I do or do not see the irony doesn't make the Calawdude's argument valid.

I would say that even if everything said is otherwise true, the scope of "human rights" as used is broad. Pepperdine could on one hand be intolerant with respect to LGBT issues, while at the same time work diligently and effectively with respect to human trafficking or asylum issues.

If your perspective is that an institution must have a consistent approach to all "human rights" issues, then there is a flavor of hypocrisy to Pepperdine's institutional approach to "human rights". If that is the only point to be made, then I would concede it. However, if OP's concern is which institution provides more opportunities in a given area - it is irrelevant unless the particular human rights issues of interest are those concerning LGBT issues.

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby calawdude » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 pm

1ferret!, chill out bro. We're not convinced. Pepperdine is very right wing. Enough said.

Peace man. peace.

I'll even end this with a smiley face: :-)

User avatar
ckelly85
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby ckelly85 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:33 pm

All Pepperdine jokes aside, a school's polarity on the LGBT issue (or any other) would probably not cause them to deny that such a debate exists and refuse to teach you about it. Aside from the political views of your classmates, I'd hazard a guess and say that whether a program is liberal or conservative will have little effect on your education. You gotta argue both sides, TLS bros and brosettes!

calawdude
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby calawdude » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:39 pm

ckelly85 wrote:All Pepperdine jokes aside, a school's polarity on the LGBT issue (or any other) would probably not cause them to deny that such a debate exists and refuse to teach you about it. Aside from the political views of your classmates, I'd hazard a guess and say that whether a program is liberal or conservative will have little effect on your education. You gotta argue both sides, TLS bros and brosettes!

I would have to disagree with this one. They'll teach you for sure, but from what angle?

Also, I don't think the school's political leanings will have "little" effect. I think the effect will be significant--not just with law school, but with any type of education.

and "brosettes?" Haven't heard that one yet. Will jack it from you, though, because saying "bros and sistas" is just kinda weird. haha.

roguebot
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Hastings v. Pepperdine

Postby roguebot » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:52 pm

Assuming that this thread is still relevant, visit SF and Hastings, if possible before you make a decision. The Tenderloin (where Hastings is located) is not as bad as it is made out to be, you just have to be a little smarter on the streets, I live a few blocks away and pass Hastings on a regular basis.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: phelpsy, SolRs and 7 guests