Rubenstein vs. HLS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rubenstein or HLS (sticker)

Rubenstein
83%
HLS
17%

Total votes: 165

TaipeiMort

Re: Rubenstein vs. HLS

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:35 pm

kaiser wrote:
cjcregg wrote:I was told that Chicago might end up higher-ranked than Harvard in a few years. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Impossible to know (and I wouldn't exactly count on it)

Not likely. Harvard has too high a per-student expenditure number and its huge class size may pay off over Y,S, and Chicago down the road in terms of the reputation rankings. However, Chicago is a good place where getting a job is likely, and you will have a great faculty, and lots of free lunches on interesting topics. If you are conservate or libertarian it may open some doors you wouldn't yet at H as well.
Last edited by TaipeiMort on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:38 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:Not likely. Harvard has too high a per-student expenditure number and its huge class size may pay off over Y,S, and Chicago down the road in terms of the reputation rankings. However, if your question is if Chicago will give you a better chance at a market job some day, the answer is yes, and that day was the day Lehman died.

Explain? Talking about Lehman brothers failing? Was the company a big supporter of HLS students?

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:Not likely. Harvard has too high a per-student expenditure number and its huge class size may pay off over Y,S, and Chicago down the road in terms of the reputation rankings. However, if your question is if Chicago will give you a better chance at a market job some day, the answer is yes, and that day was the day Lehman died.

Explain? Talking about Lehman brothers failing? Was the company a big supporter of HLS students?

I reedited my post for accuracy. I was referring to the recession, not Lehman specifically.

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:11 pm

There are some difficult questions posed on TLS sometimes, but this is not one of them...

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:22 pm

Betharl wrote:There are some difficult questions posed on TLS sometimes, but this is not one of them...

I know. And only on TLS would there even be a 1 to 5 answer rate.

thestillpoint

Postby thestillpoint » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. It was mostly nerve-wracking to accept Chicago without ever having visited the school and only having been to the city once. But after talking it over with my family/SO (who will be moving with me), I just committed to UChi, and I'm confident it was the right choice. Looking forward to attending next year!

Scuppers

Postby Scuppers » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Retake.

madvillain

Postby madvillain » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:34 pm

thestillpoint wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. It was mostly nerve-wracking to accept Chicago without ever having visited the school and only having been to the city once. But after talking it over with my family/SO (who will be moving with me), I just committed to UChi, and I'm confident it was the right choice. Looking forward to attending next year!

Congratulations! You made the right decision.
Last edited by madvillain on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:37 pm

Congrats. Don't think for one second that you didn't make what was far and away the clear right choice.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:56 pm

I hate Chicago, both the city and university, and I would STILL take UChi free over HLS.

EDIT: Oh, apparently the OP chose Chicago. Hurray!
Last edited by NoleinNY on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quiver

Postby quiver » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:02 pm

I love when a thread provides closure in under 2 pages. Good choice OP, most would kill for a T6 with almost no debt.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:09 pm

madvillain wrote:
thestillpoint wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. It was mostly nerve-wracking to accept Chicago without ever having visited the school and only having been to the city once. But after talking it over with my family/SO (who will be moving with me), I just committed to UChi, and I'm confident it was the right choice. Looking forward to attending next year!

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 pm

You made the right choice. I've never understood how Hamilton/Rubenstein vs. Harvard (unless you get the max need-based aid from Harvard) is ever even a tough call for people.

Borg

Postby Borg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Congratulations, I think you definitely made the right decision. I had a full ride at a T-14, but I turned it down for the school I am at now. I don't regret doing that, but the reason I don't regret it is because my options are actually much better where I am than they would otherwise have been. I had always thought that if the school offering up the money were one of CCN, I would have taken it in a heartbeat. The employment options are virtually the same, the schools are prestigious, and you will meet fantastic people. Well done.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:48 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
madvillain wrote:

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:You made the right choice. I've never understood how Hamilton/Rubenstein vs. Harvard (unless you get the max need-based aid from Harvard) is ever even a tough call for people.

I agree with this. I feel that if someone is too foolish to realize the benefit of a full scholarship to Chicago or Columbia, then s/he probably didnt deserve it. It is like a final test of the candidates. Turn this down and you lose!

I read this thread with apprehension that OP would decide to go to Harvard anyway - but no! -- good job OP. You will never regret your choice.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 pm

congratulations you're not a moron

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Call them up and tell Chicago that you are super interested, but you can't bring yourself to make a decision without ever visiting. So ask if they are willing to foot a trip to visit for you ;)

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:10 pm

thelawyler wrote:Call them up and tell Chicago that you are super interested, but you can't bring yourself to make a decision without ever visiting. So ask if they are willing to foot a trip to visit for you ;)

I hate it when people give advice without reading threads.

hung jury

Postby hung jury » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:36 pm

Definitely made the right choice here. Put it this way: Is the (small) difference between Harvard and Chicago worth five years of the median household income?

courtneylove

Postby courtneylove » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:You made the right choice. I've never understood how Hamilton/Rubenstein vs. Harvard (unless you get the max need-based aid from Harvard) is ever even a tough call for people.

I don't have a Rubenstein but I came into UChicago with a big scholarship, and I regret leaving the east coast every single day. I don't like any of the students here and really fucking hate Hyde Park, Chicago, and pretty much all of Illinois in general. I'd take my chances paying sticker at Harvard over throwing away three years of my twenties in this hellhole.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 pm

courtneylove wrote:

I don't have a Rubenstein but I came into UChicago with a big scholarship, and I regret leaving the east coast every single day. I don't like any of the students here and really fucking hate Hyde Park, Chicago, and pretty much all of Illinois in general. I'd take my chances paying sticker at Harvard over throwing away three years of my twenties in this hellhole.

yowza...

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:08 pm

courtneylove wrote:

Sorry you hate Chicago. I don't go there so I can't comment. But even as unhappy as you are, you made the right choice. When your peers are paying back their loans, living as cheaply as possible to get out of debt fast (even from Harvard) and you are not - I hope you will feel differently about your choice to not go into massive 6 figure debt in your 20s. The east coast isn't going anywhere, you can get back here from Chicago.

NinerFan

Postby NinerFan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:14 pm

courtneylove wrote:

Hm, well, if it makes you feel better, you probably got paid close to 6 figures to live in Chicago as opposed to the east coast for 3 years. I'd take that. People have done worse for less.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 pm

quiver wrote:I love when a thread provides closure in under 2 pages. Good choice OP, most would kill for a T6 with almost no debt.

I would but murder might cause me to fail C & F :(

Return to “Choosing a Law School”