Vandy $$ vs. UGA (In-State)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ShortRound

Vandy $$ vs. UGA (In-State)

Postby ShortRound » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:20 am

Long time lurker here. Tomorrow's the deposit deadline for UGA, and I'd just like to get some opinions on which would be the better move. I'm looking at Vandy with a 20k per yr. scholly, and UGA at the in-state rate. I'm interested in getting into health law, and potentially going after an MPH as well. I have 14k of debt left from undergrad, and 4 yrs. of work exp. in molecular biology/research. I'm open minded about the particular region I'd like to work in after finishing, but if that meant working in the state of GA, it would have to be Atlanta (Not a fan of any of the other major cities in the state). I'm also waiting to hear back from Northwestern & Cornell. Would either of those be worth it at sticker? I'm not a big law or bust kinda guy, but I'm also not some idealist who would turn down the opportunity to seriously reduce my debt if I were offered it.

Advise away!

bdole2

Re: Vandy $$ vs. UGA (In-State)

Postby bdole2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:44 am

Sounds like Vandy is the clear choice here. It will give you more options than UGA at similar cost. I would probably also take Vandy wtih 60k over Cornell and Northwestern at sticker unless you are dead set on biglaw.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:49 am

What are your numbers (LSAT & GPA) ? I ask to see if Northwestern or Cornell are likely to offer admission & scholarship money. It's conceivable that a $20,000 per year award from Vanderbilt could be exceeded by Northwestern if you are a splitter with work experience.

Between Georgia & Vanderbilt, what are the estimated total COA ?

Don't pay sticker at Cornell or Northwestern if not seeking biglaw placement.

ShortRound

Postby ShortRound » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 am

I'm a reverse splitter. Below median LSAT for both, and above 75th gpa for both. Estimated COA with full loan amt.'s: UGA - around 103k, and Vandy - around 150k.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:01 am

Northwestern likes high LSAT scores & work experience.

Cornell may offer $15,000 per year if you have an LSAT score of 167 minimum to go with your high GPA.

Vanderbilt may be your best option.

ShortRound

Postby ShortRound » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks for the advice!

tlsposter

Postby tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:11 pm

Keep your debt down if you want to practice in the south (which I am assuming because you shouldn't consider either of these if you want to practice anywhere else). Salaries are very low in the south, although COL is good there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”