UF ($80K), Richmond ($70K), or W&L(sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pat4redick

UF ($80K), Richmond ($70K), or W&L(sticker)

Postby pat4redick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:13 am

The numbers are total cost of attendance for the 3 years. W&L just recently plucked me off the wait list.

UF is cheap because I am an in-state resident. But don't really want to stay here. Ideally I would like to end up in Mid-Atlantic or one of the big markets (DC, Boston, Chicago, NY, etc.) but I realize this is not a likely scenario and money is certainly a factor. I'm looking to give myself the best opportunity. Retake is not really an option for me (relatively low GPA). I posted earlier to help narrow it down from the schools listed below. Considering all of that, I am still leaning towards UF. Looking at Civil Litigation or Corporate Law.

Other acceptances (pretty much eliminated):
UIUC ($10k/yr)
UMaryland
American ($20K first year)
Temple
Miami
Case Western ($29K/yr)
Catholic ($18K/yr)

WL:
UNC, Emory, BU, BC, and Fordham.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

CanadianWolf

Re: UF ($80K), Richmond ($70K), or W&L(sticker)

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 am

Don't pay sticker at Wash & Lee.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:23 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Don't pay sticker at Wash & Lee.

That's the conclusion I came to but I wanted to throw it up and see what the consensus was. Trying to make the best decision possible.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 am

What is your GPA?

None of those schools are good ideas for your career goals.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:55 am

rad lulz wrote:What is your GPA?

I also would not be opposed to working for the government for Florida or Richmond given the debt load. UF has a good pipeline to Tallahassee and Richmond is located in the state's capital. I plan on assessing what I like and, more importantly, what I am good at in my first year and shift my career path accordingly.

I know I do not have much interest in Real Estate, Tax, or International law. Nor am I under any assumption that PI will be an option.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 pm

pat4redick wrote:
rad lulz wrote:What is your GPA?

I also would not be opposed to working for the government for Florida or Richmond given the debt load. UF has a good pipeline to Tallahassee and Richmond is located in the state's capital. I plan on assessing what I like and, more importantly, what I am good at in my first year and shift my career path accordingly.

I know I do not have much interest in Real Estate, Tax, or International law. Nor am I under any assumption that PI will be an option.

The problem is that working for state government isn't really a backup these days. Because of budget cuts, there are way fewer positions, and because everyone knows they can get loan forgiveness, they are highly sought after.

You GPA sucks, but a 170+ LSAT can get you into UVA (if you ED), GULC, NW (with work experience). Those will give you shots at major markets in a way the others won't. So if you're srs about wanting to work in a major market or whatever, you need to retake.

el William

Postby el William » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:47 pm

If you are dead set on not retaking (believe
me I understand) then I think Richmond is great especially since you don't want to end in Florida.

I was considering Richmond before i got into an in state school and I was really impressed with the school and the opportunities people had given that the scho is located in the state capital. 70k total is not too bad...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”