GW vs Notre Dame Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW vs ND

GW 60k - 3.0 stip (162k total Cost of Attendance)
40%
ND 66k - good standing (119k total CoA)
60%

Total votes: 10

FastLife

New

GW vs Notre Dame

Post by FastLife » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:26 pm

Want to do big law. Some background info - Bio major, stats are 3.50/168.

60k at GW, 66k at ND, and 90k at Minnesota. I want to go to George Washington because I am interested in IP, but GW would cost me an additional 67k more than Minnesota and 44k more than ND over three years (and that's not even counting interest on my loans).

Shelling out an additional 67k? That's pretty much an extra year of school + living expenses...that's steep. Problem is I do not want to be stuck in Minnesota for years after graduation, I freakin hate the cold. Portability of a degree is important to me. Honestly I would like to work in DC, Texas, or California, but I got wait listed at UCLA and Texas and stupidly chose not to apply to USC. Does ND have a national alumni base, and would doing IP at GW allow me to get a job anywhere? Would I be trapped in the Twin Cities if I chose Minny?

If you guys could provide a little feedback in addition to your poll response, that'd be cool. Just wanted to get some other people's thoughts/opinions. Thanks :wink:

UPDATE - I have removed Minnesota from the list because I really do not want to live in the Twin Cities after graduation.
Last edited by FastLife on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: GW, Minny, Notre Dame

Post by Doorkeeper » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:24 pm

None of these schools will really get you to California or Texas unless you have already strong ties there, but GW gives you a fighting chance at DC. Do not go to Minnesota unless you're ok with working in Minnesota after law school. Also, try to negotiate with GW if possible.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:00 pm

ND is a good school to go to for those who are actually good at networking, not just think they're good. Yes ND has a national alumni base.

I'd go to ND because 120k debt is actually way more manacle than 160k, even though they sound comparable.

Where do you have ties? The probability of ND getting your somewhere you have zero ties is pretty shitty though. Maybe move to one of those areas and get a job, then re-apply.

FastLife

New

Post by FastLife » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I don't think just general bio majors are sought after for IP, but someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.
CS minor as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FastLife

New

Post by FastLife » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Where do you have ties? The probability of ND getting your somewhere you have zero ties is pretty shitty though. Maybe move to one of those areas and get a job, then re-apply.
I'm from Portland, OR...so no ties really. I do want to live in DC, and I'm heavily leaning to GW.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: GW vs Notre Dame

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Did you apply to SMU ?

Hopefully, you'll be admited to Texas from the waitlist.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:20 pm

FastLife wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Where do you have ties? The probability of ND getting your somewhere you have zero ties is pretty shitty though. Maybe move to one of those areas and get a job, then re-apply.
I'm from Portland, OR...so no ties really. I do want to live in DC, and I'm heavily leaning to GW.
I don't think either school will get you to Texas without ties.

monkey85

Bronze

Re: GW vs Notre Dame

Post by monkey85 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Have you visited the schools? I would just go based on gut between ND and GW since schollies are basically the same.

If you like DC, it may be more enjoyable to be in the city, even if you will be doing a lot of studying. I go to GW so feel free to PM me with any Qs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”