Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SMU or Loyola Chicago

SMU
7
47%
Loyola Chicago
8
53%
 
Total votes: 15

jharig1
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby jharig1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:16 pm

I am deciding between SMU and Loyola Chicago law school for this Fall. I understand that SMU has higher rank and potentially better prospects coming out since there is not as much competition with other schools in Texas, especially Dallas. However, I prefer to live in Chicago. Costs would be roughly equal. I would greatly appreciate any advice and opinions on this.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby noleknight16 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Loyola. 91% of SMU graduates work in Dallas.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:36 pm

jharig1 wrote:I prefer to live in Chicago.


Loyola. Have fun in a much more awesome city than Dallas.

Artistry
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby Artistry » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Probably Loyala Chicago, given your preference for Chicago overall.

LSAT/uGPA?

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby bdole2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Total cost of attendance at Loyola?

jharig1
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby jharig1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:34 pm

My LSAT was 166 and my uGPA was 3.6. Total cost for Loyola would be a few thousand higher than SMU because of Chicago living expenses. I received more money from SMU, but they also have a higher tuition. If I go to SMU, I would plan on working and living in Dallas. I am mostly trying to decide if my desire to live in Chicago should outweigh my likely better job prospects of coming out of SMU versus Loyola.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby concurrent fork » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:05 pm

jharig1 wrote:My LSAT was 166 and my uGPA was 3.6.

You shouldn't be looking at T2 schools with your numbers.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby StarLightSpectre » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:22 pm

jharig1 wrote: I am mostly trying to decide if my desire to live in Chicago should outweigh my likely better job prospects of coming out of SMU versus Loyola.



This is what it comes down to. City preference or relatively better placement.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:47 pm

concurrent fork wrote:
jharig1 wrote:My LSAT was 166 and my uGPA was 3.6.

You shouldn't be looking at T2 schools with your numbers.

Unless Loyola is free, don't go.

What the hell are you looking at Loyola for with those numbers?

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby top30man » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:57 pm

romothesavior wrote:
concurrent fork wrote:
jharig1 wrote:My LSAT was 166 and my uGPA was 3.6.

You shouldn't be looking at T2 schools with your numbers.

Unless Loyola is free, don't go.

What the hell are you looking at Loyola for with those numbers?

Where are you from? Those are t30 numbers.

jharig1
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby jharig1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I am from Indiana and went to Notre Dame for undergrad. For a variety of reasons, I did not have an interest in going to ND's law school or Indiana so I didn't apply to those. I previously interned at a law firm in Dallas so that's how I was turned on to SMU. Otherwise, I was looking at Chicago area schools.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Poll: SMU vs. Loyola Chicago

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:12 pm

jharig1 wrote:I am from Indiana and went to Notre Dame for undergrad. For a variety of reasons, I did not have an interest in going to ND's law school or Indiana so I didn't apply to those. I previously interned at a law firm in Dallas so that's how I was turned on to SMU. Otherwise, I was looking at Chicago area schools.


Like others have said, you could get into a better school and it may be worth sitting out a cycle to make it happen.

As far as SMU/Loyola... I would go to SMU, all things being equal. My rational is

Dallas: UT > SMU > everyone else

Chicago: UChicago > NW >>>>>>>>>>> Loyola > everyone else




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maddawg2020, Mhr and 2 guests