School based on stips. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
llachans

Silver

School based on stips.

Post by llachans » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:09 pm

School A and School B are similarly ranked.
I prefer School B. It has much higher employment ranks and dominates it's legal market.

School A & B gave me the same amount of scholarship.
School A requires me to stay in the Top 2/3 of the class. If I perform well, my scholarship can be increased from a 75% -> full scholarship.
School B requires me to stay in the Top 1/3 of the class. If I don't perform well, my scholarship will be decreased to a half scholarship. If this happened, I would drop out because the amount of debt would be crushing for a school of that ranking.

Do I take the stipulation difference into account? If so, how much. The top 1/3 stipulation scares me, although I believe it is for either semester of 1L. If I am in the top 1/3 after the first semester, my scholarship is secure.

dingbat

Gold

Re: School based on stips.

Post by dingbat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:29 pm

llachans wrote:School A and School B are similarly ranked.
I prefer School B. It has much higher employment ranks and dominates it's legal market.

School A & B gave me the same amount of scholarship.
School A requires me to stay in the Top 2/3 of the class. If I perform well, my scholarship can be increased from a 75% -> full scholarship.
School B requires me to stay in the Top 1/3 of the class. If I don't perform well, my scholarship will be decreased to a half scholarship. If this happened, I would drop out because the amount of debt would be crushing for a school of that ranking.

Do I take the stipulation difference into account? If so, how much. The top 1/3 stipulation scares me, although I believe it is for either semester of 1L. If I am in the top 1/3 after the first semester, my scholarship is secure.
If the schools are not top 50, the easy answer is go to School B and drop out if you're not top 1/3
(presumably both schools would require top 1/3 to get a good job, B forces the issue. It also dominates its market, so no outside competition for jobs)

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Don't go to Drake or Michigan State if you want Chicago.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 pm

bdole2 wrote:Don't go to Drake or Michigan State if you want Chicago.
Uhm. I don't want Chicago. I can't stand the city.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Then your decision should be based on location preference. Go to drake if you want Des Moines, Go to MSU if you want Lansing / Detroit. Stipulations should have minimal impact on your decision in this scenario.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”