Michigan v Cornell (30k) for NYC + Boston

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Poll ended at Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 am

Michigan
28%
Cornell (30k)
72%

Total votes: 29

NextStopRuggles

Postby NextStopRuggles » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:44 am

I've already seen a few threads like this, but I wanted to put my own spin on things to get your feedback. I've also heard that there a lot of other people trying to choose between these two, so thanks in advance for helping me (and maybe a few others) out.

I'm from New England and got my BA from a school in Boston. I'd probably like to settle down there eventually, and it isn't hard to imagine doing that with a non-profit. However, I'd prefer to start my career in NYC biglaw.

I know Cornell generally places a higher percentage of its grads into those two cities, and I think an Ivy League degree carries a bit more weight there than Michigan's would (which could be beneficial if I ever decide that I want to leave law altogether). But, because Michigan generally does better in the public sector, it might be easier to network my way out of a firm if/when the time comes. Michigan also has the better LRAP (it can be applied to public or private sector jobs), so there's a safety net if I strike out with the firms.

I've visited and liked both, so it's tough to say which one is a better fit (though I guess I would prefer a football school, FWIW).

CanadianWolf

Re: Michigan v Cornell (30k) for NYC + Boston

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:48 am

Cornell because it places better in NYC & Boston which are your target locations.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:01 am

Cornell - respectable name, good placement in northeast, moolah.

hicrhodus

Postby hicrhodus » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Keep in mind that the cost of attendance is nearly 7k a year higher at Cornell ($74, 680 last year) than out-of-state at Michigan ($67, 870 last year). Given the amount of debt you're considering taking on, a 10k difference should not be dispositive. With that said, there's not necessarily a generalizable right choice here--it's more a question of where you would prefer to live, which school has better faculty and clinics given your interests, etc. Either school probably gives you solid chances for NYC biglaw or working in Boston if you can end up at or above the median, although both took a major hit in recent employment statistics (well under half of the class of 2011 is working in biglaw). Cornell has more lay prestige and greater placement in NYC, but Michigan has more prestige among legal professionals--which is far more relevant for your career than non-lawyers being impressed by the Ivy-league--and the difference in NYC placement is likely a question of self-selection to a large degree.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Cornell because it places better in NYC & Boston which are your target locations.

NYC firms will go deeper into Cornell's class than they will Michigan's?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Peer schools. Similar cost. Pick your favorite.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm

I'd say Michigan if you liked both schools as the total cost difference is only 10k like somebody else said.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”