GW, ASU, Notre Dame, Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What do you guys think?

George Washington $60k
32%
Arizona State full ride
29%
Notre Dame $66k
18%
Emory $75k
21%
Pick a school out of a hat (which may just happen. seriously.)
No votes

Total votes: 28

FastLife

GW, ASU, Notre Dame, Emory

Postby FastLife » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Stats are 3.5/168.

Biggest concern is the employment rate at graduation for GW, and some of the stories I've read about GW employment prospects on TLS have been scary. I am interested in IP, so GW would seem like a good option. ASU hit me with a full ride, but I'm not sure how I feel about being confined to the Phoenix market. GW grads supposedly have a much higher median salary in the private sector than ASU grads, and I also prefer the plethora of opportunities in DC to Phoenix, but I do like Phoenix for it's weather and cheap cost of living.

Long term I would like to live in California, Texas, or the South, but I got waitlisted at UCLA and Texas, and I'm extremely wary of Emory because of how weak the job market is in Atlanta as well as this http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/emory-la ... need-jobs/

A big question that I have is with respect to the portability of a Notre Dame and GW degree. I do like ND, but it's lack of a local market worries me. Has the economy and OCI improved to a point where I could get a job in New York, Chicago, or California with a Notre Dame degree? Can a GW degree get me to these markets?

As far as campuses and the "feel" of the school, I really liked GW and Notre Dame over ASU and Emory.

This poll obviously isn't going to determine where I go, but I figured some input from you guys might be nice.
Last edited by FastLife on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Re: GW, ASU, Notre Dame, Emory

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Do you have a hard science background for IP?

None of those schools place in CA/TX/South except Emory. None of them are at a reasonable cost except ASU. So yeah... retake.

FastLife

Postby FastLife » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Majored in biology.
Do you have a hard science background for IP?

FastLife

Postby FastLife » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm

bk1 wrote: So yeah... retake.

I am planning to re-take in June, but that is a back up plan. I want to go forth and commit to one of these schools. I will retake the LSAT in June and IF I get a significantly better score then I may consider reapplying.

It's not like I don't like these schools. I would be fine with working in either DC or Phoenix, but I would definitely prefer to work in NY, LA, or Texas.

impressivekowalski

Postby impressivekowalski » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:46 am

You seem pretty intelligent. If you actually are then I am sure you will bypass all these options and take a job quickly out of college and prosper. Forget law school. I know spending three years failing to compensate for your dissatisfying undergrad experience, racking up six figures of debt, busting your ass for two summers for free, and graduating with limited job prospects sounds good, but I highly recommend that you reconsider present alternatives. I know that sounds pessimistic, but I guarantee that if you ask 3Ls at GW, ASU, Notre Dame, or Emory the same questions you will get the same answer.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:12 am

bk1 wrote:None of those schools place in CA/TX/South except Emory. None of them are at a reasonable cost except ASU. So yeah... retake.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:22 am

If you like Phoenix weather & its cheap cost-of-living, then a full tuition & fees scholarship at ASU may be your best current option.

Of course, with an extra point or two on your LSAT, your options would dramatically change.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:27 am

Another course of action would be to appeal for higher scholarship awards at ND, Emory & GWU if determined to attend law school this fall.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:30 am

rad lulz wrote:
bk1 wrote:None of those schools place in CA/TX/South except Emory. None of them are at a reasonable cost except ASU. So yeah... retake.

Yep this.

And you joke about pulling a school out of a hat to decide, but based on the options you're presenting us here, it looks like that's what you did when you applied. You seem to lack geographic goals. Where are you from? Where are your ties? You want to live in the south, or Texas, or thousands of miles away in California? But you're also cool living/working in D.C. or Phoenix? I don't mean to be insulting, but you need to think more about these things. You're talking about making a six-figure investment, and you don't seem to have thought it through thoroughly.

The schools you're looking at are all solid, but not worth the huge cost you're talking about.

FastLife

Postby FastLife » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Yep this.

And you joke about pulling a school out of a hat to decide, but based on the options you're presenting us here, it looks like that's what you did when you applied. You seem to lack geographic goals. Where are you from? Where are your ties? You want to live in the south, or Texas, or thousands of miles away in California? But you're also cool living/working in D.C. or Phoenix? I don't mean to be insulting, but you need to think more about these things. You're talking about making a six-figure investment, and you don't seem to have thought it through thoroughly.

The schools you're looking at are all solid, but not worth the huge cost you're talking about.

I may not have set geographical goals, but that's because I am pretty open-minded with respect to where I would like to live. I have lived in the Bay Area and in Portland. I also have family and close family friends in Chandler, Austin, Houston, and Nashville. I've spent significant time in all of these cities, and I could see myself being happy in any one of these regions. I believe my flexibility and ability to adapt is a positive characteristic.

The only deterrent I have is cold weather. While weather itself wouldn't prevent me from going to a good law school, I'd rather not be stuck living in a place where the average high during the winter is below freezing. I don't want to spend half my mornings shoveling snow, which is why the midwest and the northeast are both out of the question for me (with the exception of NYC).

FastLife

Postby FastLife » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Placed my deposit at George Washington. Waiting to hear back from Vanderbilt, and am also on the waitlist at UCLA and Texas. I am also taking the June LSAT to see if my score improves.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Good luck!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:47 pm

FastLife wrote:Placed my deposit at George Washington. Waiting to hear back from Vanderbilt, and am also on the waitlist at UCLA and Texas. I am also taking the June LSAT to see if my score improves.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Good luck!

Good luck on that retake. Study hard and use the resources that TLS has for the LSAT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”