American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snapple90
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby snapple90 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Whats the protocol for transferring out? IF I do well at Hofstra with the scholarship can I transfer to a more prestigious ls?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:36 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:36 pm

snapple90 wrote:Whats the protocol for transferring out? IF I do well at Hofstra with the scholarship can I transfer to a more prestigious ls?


The protocol is being top 10% (roughly). However there's a 90% chance you won't be in the top 10%. It is possible to transfer to a prestigious law school, but it's also possible to win the lottery. What matters is the chances of it happening, and those chances are low.

snapple90
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby snapple90 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Understood, well currently the predicament I'm in is as follows:

Deposit deadline is this Sunday. If I don't put into Hofstra by then I lose my scholarship. The same goes for American. I'm still waiting to hear back from Dozo (late app). What do you think the best course of action is other than to retake?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:51 pm

snapple90 wrote:What do you think the best course of action is other than to retake?


Why would you go with the second best course of action?

Hofstra and drop out if you lose your scholarship is a lot more reasonable than American with a 7k/year scholarship. But that's still a worse course of action than retaking/reapplying.

snapple90
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby snapple90 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
snapple90 wrote:What do you think the best course of action is other than to retake?


Why would you go with the second best course of action?

Hofstra and drop out if you lose your scholarship is a lot more reasonable than American with a 7k/year scholarship. But that's still a worse course of action than retaking/reapplying.

If I don't do well with the retake/reapp I'm in no better position plus I've wasted a year. Wasting a year for me is the biggest issue for more personal reasons.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby bk1 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 pm

snapple90 wrote:If I don't do well with the retake/reapp I'm in no better position plus I've wasted a year. Wasting a year for me is the biggest issue for more personal reasons.


If you go to law school and graduate either unemployed or employed in a job that doesn't require a JD then you've wasted 3 years (on top of the loans you've taken out).

You can take the LSAT 3 times every 2 years and all it costs is $150 each time (or whatever the LSAT costs these days). On the other hand you only get to go to law school once and it costs thousands of dollars. There is a lot more risk with going to law school and hoping you crush it than there is with retaking the LSAT.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby rad lulz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

snapple90
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: American (WCL)$$ v. Hofstra Law (Full ride)

Postby snapple90 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:00 pm

are you able to put down a seat deposit then retake the LSAT?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest