W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hc08
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:49 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby hc08 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:45 pm

.
Last edited by hc08 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

nouseforaname123
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby nouseforaname123 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:49 pm

hc08 wrote:^ Thanks for the response! I know that the numbers say only 4 people got a job in 2010 in the TX region, but does that mean only 4 people wanted to come to TX? In which case, W&L would be 100% for placing people in TX. I'm not saying this is the case, but it would make the picture look a lot different.


The only poster who gets a "thank you" is the one who confirms the irrational decision you want to make?

Look, there are five NALP firms in San Antonio. Four of them specifically interviewed at SMU's OCI for their San Antonio offices. I am not suggesting that is impressive, but it is four more firms than interviewed at W&L for San Antonio offices.

You *can* get back to San Antonio from W&L, but it will be much more difficult than it will be from SMU.

1. You won't get the benefit of firms coming to interview you at OCI.

2. You will have to conduct a mass-mail campaign. While W&L is a good school, it isn't good enough to trump other schools that San Antonio natives will be mass-mailing from, including the T14.

3. If you're fortunate enough to get an interview you will be asked why you went out-of-state. Telling some partner who likely graduated from a local school that you went to W&L because it is better than the local schools isn't going to help your cause.

4. As others have mentioned, national rankings are meaningless after the T14. Outside of the T14, you go to the best school with the strongest placement in your desired market. Why is UH off the table?

5. I don't care how strong the W&L alumni network is in Texas. It isn't strong enough to trump the UT/UH/SMU/Baylor alumni networks in Texas. If an alumni network plays a meaningful role in your decision making process then SMU will trump W&L for Texas.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11722
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Have you visited W&L? I can't remember if you said that. It's a gorgeous school, and the people are super nice, but Lexington is freaking tiny. I mean like claustrophobic tiny. It's definitely not for everyone.

User avatar
Gecko of Doom
Posts: 415
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby Gecko of Doom » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:46 pm

kalvano wrote:Have you visited W&L? I can't remember if you said that. It's a gorgeous school, and the people are super nice, but Lexington is freaking tiny. I mean like claustrophobic tiny. It's definitely not for everyone.

I've literally driven through Lexington without actually realizing I drove through Lexington.

OP, go to SMU. It's true that it places mostly in Dallas, but placement elsewhere in Texas will be much, much better than W&L's.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby rad lulz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm

rad lulz wrote:
nouseforaname123 wrote:national rankings are meaningless after the T14


This. OP - if SMU was ranked 100 and W&L was ranked 15, SMU would still be the better choice for your goals.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Meant to say earlier that I think SMU would be the obvious choice. My point was just that W&L is not unknown in TX from my minimal observations. Let me emphasize how GODDAMN MISERABLE Lexington is.

hc08
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:49 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby hc08 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:29 pm

.
Last edited by hc08 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Yeah. PM me for any other questions

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:15 pm

OP: Just to go W&L. Why let decreased employment prospects for making it back to Texas influence your decision when you think you will enjoy W&L more and you will have all that extra mad prestige? (Also, screw loved ones.) Good luck!!!!

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby rad lulz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:OP: Just to go W&L. Why let decreased employment prospects for making it back to Texas influence your decision when you think you will enjoy W&L more and you will have all that extra mad prestige? (Also, screw loved ones.) Good luck!!!!

I predict USNWR ranking will have employers flocking to W&L IN DROVES.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 am

rad lulz wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:OP: Just to go W&L. Why let decreased employment prospects for making it back to Texas influence your decision when you think you will enjoy W&L more and you will have all that extra mad prestige? (Also, screw loved ones.) Good luck!!!!

I predict USNWR ranking will have employers flocking to W&L IN DROVES.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

These meme really needs to be incorporated into a picture.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby rad lulz » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:OP: Just to go W&L. Why let decreased employment prospects for making it back to Texas influence your decision when you think you will enjoy W&L more and you will have all that extra mad prestige? (Also, screw loved ones.) Good luck!!!!

I predict USNWR ranking will have employers flocking to W&L IN DROVES.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

These meme really needs to be incorporated into a picture.

Image

User avatar
presh
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby presh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:13 am

.
Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyBoonfield
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby RodneyBoonfield » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:23 am

presh wrote:we have A LOT of jobless 3Ls right now


ballpark %?

User avatar
presh
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby presh » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 am

.
Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPE155
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby SPE155 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:50 am

^

I'd be interested to know this as well.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:38 pm

How is this even a question? Money, geographic preference, ties, and personal situation all point the same direction. SMU and it isn't even close. Slam dunk no brainer. Pepperdine and W&L would be stupid in your situation.

dissonance1848
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: W&L v. SMU v. Pepperdine

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:43 pm

SMU. It is that simple, really.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests