SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SMU with 26k or Wisconsin 10k out of state

Poll ended at Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:05 pm

SMU
5
45%
Wisconsin
6
55%
 
Total votes: 11

tmj830
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 pm

SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby tmj830 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Hey all,

I've narrowed my choices down to 2 schools: SMU and Wisconsin. I have ties to both regions, but think I would be slightly happier in Wisconsin long-term. The deciding factor is deciding which school is the more responsible choice financially when considering future employment prospects. I have visited both schools and like them both.

COA at SMU: 64k - 26k scholarship = 38K total

COA at Wisconsin: 57k -10k scholarship = 47k

One other factor is that I will not need a car at Wisconsin, but will have to keep my car at SMU.

Thanks in advance for the help!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby minnbills » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:09 pm

Wisconsin since you'd rather live there

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Your chances of getting a high paying job are higher at SMU, and so I vote SMU. My opinion may have been different had you not been looking at massive debt.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby minnbills » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:14 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:Your chances of getting a high paying job are higher at SMU, and so I vote SMU. My opinion may have been different had you not been looking at massive debt.


Did I read the OP wrong or did he say 40-60k roughly for COA? I wouldn't call that massive debt.

jdamele76
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:49 am

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby jdamele76 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:24 pm

minnbills wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:Your chances of getting a high paying job are higher at SMU, and so I vote SMU. My opinion may have been different had you not been looking at massive debt.


Did I read the OP wrong or did he say 40-60k roughly for COA? I wouldn't call that massive debt.

I assume that was for one year...

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby minnbills » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:26 pm

jdamele76 wrote:I assume that was for one year...


I'm not sure, if it's per year then I'd agree with you

edit: agree with aber, rather

tmj830
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby tmj830 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Yes, the figures listed above are for 1 year. Granted, I believe they are high when the schools list $1,000 for a computer (which I have already), or several thousand dollars for "miscellaneous" in their estimates, but I'm sure they are somewhat close.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Neither of these schools are particularly good for the prices you have listed (I assume this is per year).

This being said, both schools are highly regional in nature. Pick the school in the area that you want to live and work in after school. You indicated that you liked Wisconsin more, so I voted for Wisconsin.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby noleknight16 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:09 pm

You need to adjust your Wisconsin numbers. It will be significantly cheaper, assuming you get residency after 1L

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby minnbills » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 pm

noleknight16 wrote:You need to adjust your Wisconsin numbers. It will be significantly cheaper, assuming you get residency after 1L


I think it's very difficult to get in-state residency at WI

tmj830
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby tmj830 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Wisconsin does not grant in-state residency after your first year. Besides that, what adjustments to these numbers are you referring to?

wgaines
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby wgaines » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:17 pm

Wisconsin is really hard to gain residency for if you are just living there as a student, so I wouldn't count on it. Also the moron governor Walker is slashing the UW system budget by hundreds of millions, meaning the law school will have less resources.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby noleknight16 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:20 pm

tmj830 wrote:Wisconsin does not grant in-state residency after your first year. Besides that, what adjustments to these numbers are you referring to?


Well never mind then lol

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

SMU but only because I like north Dallas. Actually you probably shouldn't go that is way too expensive. 120k debt?

Do you have other debt?

I think top 25% can interview for BigLaw. I looked at their 2010 numbers but they didn't report % in law firms. They did report that 86% of those who were working full time in the private sector made a median of 85k, very strong for a school of that rank.

tmj830
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:30 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby tmj830 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:SMU but only because I like north Dallas. Actually you probably shouldn't go that is way too expensive. 120k debt?

Do you have other debt?

I think top 25% can interview for BigLaw. I looked at their 2010 numbers but they didn't report % in law firms. They did report that 86% of those who were working full time in the private sector made a median of 85k, very strong for a school of that rank.


I have about 40,000 from undergraduate studies. For the past two years I've been teaching high school math (not the best career to help with student loans, let me tell ya!), but I will have enough saved to cover personal expenses and pay off my car over the next two years.

I realize the astronomical risk that comes with taking on law school. However, I do feel confident that if I come out making something like the median listed above (at a minimum) and live responsibly, I can make a good living for myself over time.

NCB166
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:57 am

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby NCB166 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:44 pm

If the debt at Wisconsin is a huge concern, you can always defer a year, (hopefully) find a job in Wisconsin, and enjoy their very cheap in-state tuition. I'd talk to Rebecca or a financial aid person to make sure, but i'm pretty certain you'll be able to keep your scholarship and they'll grant you in-state tuition. They implied that was an option when I talked to them earlier this year, and in your situation it might make sense.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:21 pm

No way SMU will actually cost you the full amount in estimated COL loans. You can get by with less.

User avatar
bringyourlunch
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: SMU vs. Wisconsin- Need input!

Postby bringyourlunch » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:17 pm

kalvano wrote:No way SMU will actually cost you the full amount in estimated COL loans. You can get by with less.

SMU's COA includes 15,500 in living expenses. That is insane




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin and 4 guests