ED Northwestern? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hq2x

New

ED Northwestern?

Post by hq2x » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:05 am

I am applying next cycle, with a [EDIT] I am looking to either hit HYS or go to law school for as little money as possible. Based on the comments I have read here, and my stats, HYS seems like a longshot for me. If that is the case, should I go straight for NU's early decision? Numbers-wise, I think I will be competitive for the scholarship. However, I (will) only have one year of work experience come time to apply. I have seen people getting into NU with the stipulation that they defer for one year - hopefully I can get that.

Is this a good idea? I was originally considering U Chicago, but I don't think I will receive substantial money there (at least not as much as NU), and job placement doesn't seem to be drastically different for one over the other. OTOH, if I ED Northwestern, I am forgoing the chance to get money from other T14 schools. With that said, I would ideally like to bring that degree back with me to Chicago, and in that sense the Chicago law schools might have an edge. Normally I wouldn't consider these kinds of deliberations until my cycle is complete, however if I apply to NU early, I am more or less forgoing my chances at other schools (including the small chance of HYS). Thoughts?
Last edited by hq2x on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: ED Northwestern?

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:09 am

You have a good shot at H. You will probably get into Columbia, Chicago, and NYU. You will probably get money from one or all of these schools. I know NYU throws at least $75k at people with your stats. You can probably get more from Michigan, Penn, UVA, and Berkeley.

In sum, I would apply broadly and not ED to Northwestern.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

Don't ED NU. You should blanket the T14 and use scholarship offers to negotiate with schools you wish to attend.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 am

If you want to work in Chicago, free law school at Northwestern is a pretty goddamn good deal.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 am

Your numbers give you a good chance at significant money at CCN and you are underselling your chances at Harvard, as you will most likely get in there as well. But
TemporarySaint wrote:free law school at Northwestern is a pretty goddamn good deal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”