Miami v. Seton Hall Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DC818

New

Miami v. Seton Hall

Post by DC818 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

As of now, I'm between Miami and Seton Hall and have been accepted to both FT programs. I have no real preference in terms of where to live and practice. My tuition and living costs is completely paid for by family, so I'm basically trying to decide which school gives me a better shot at big/mid-law in their geographical area. Facing a deposit deadline of Sunday, so any advise would be greatly appreciated! Riding waitlists at other schools, but need to make a decision for the ones I've been admitted to. Cheers. :mrgreen:

bdole2

Bronze

Re: Miami v. Seton Hall

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Neither will give you good shot at biglaw. If you truly will have no debt, then your choice just comes down to location preference.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:01 pm

While Miami is not the GREATEST city for big law, your chances are much better out of UM. Miami firms love to hire UMlaw grads, look at all the new associate hires for 501+ firms in Miami, 90% are UM grads.

I'd go with UM, unless you don't want to live in south florida.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:03 pm

bdole2 wrote:Neither will give you good shot at biglaw. If you truly will have no debt, then your choice just comes down to location preference.
This.

Sticker at both? I wouldn't feel good about leaving my parents on the hook for that much money combined with very mediocre job prospects unless you're family is filthy rich, for what it's worth.

I was accepted to Miami and withdrew as I am a S. FL native, for what that's worth.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 pm

MTBike wrote:While Miami is not the GREATEST city for big law, your chances are much better out of UM. Miami firms love to hire UMlaw grads, look at all the new associate hires for 501+ firms in Miami, 90% are UM grads.

Looking at Holland and Knight's website, this appears to be completely false. There are only a few. The rest of from T14 schools of UF.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:32 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
MTBike wrote:While Miami is not the GREATEST city for big law, your chances are much better out of UM. Miami firms love to hire UMlaw grads, look at all the new associate hires for 501+ firms in Miami, 90% are UM grads.

Looking at Holland and Knight's website, this appears to be completely false. There are only a few. The rest of from T14 schools of UF.
No. You clearly just looked at the 1st page of attorneys. The distribution is about even between UF and UM. Maybe slightly favoring UF by 1 or 2.

My point, between seton and UM, UM is your best shot at biglaw.

Also, this is just 1 firm. Take a look through the NLJ 350 and take the biggest Miami firms, then look at associate hiring. It will reiterate what I said.
Last edited by MTBike on Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:38 pm

MTBike wrote: My point, between seton and UM, UM is your best shot at biglaw.

Also, this is just 1 firm. Take a look through the NLJ 350 and take the biggest Miami firms, then look at associate hiring. It will reiterate what I said.
UMiami 2011 Class has 6.9% of students employed at NLJ250 firms, while Seton Hall placed 8%

Look bruh, if you're committed to Miami, that's great. But don't mislead people like this. "Best shot" is certainly relative, but the information you're giving is misleading and outright false.

Edit: LST link, so copy and paste this into your browser: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/tag/nlj-250/

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:41 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
MTBike wrote: My point, between seton and UM, UM is your best shot at biglaw.

UMiami 2011 Class has 6.9% of students employed at NLJ250 firms, while Seton Hall placed 8%

Look bruh, if you're committed to Miami, that's great. But don't mislead people like this. "Best shot" is certainly relative, but the information you're giving is misleading and outright false.

Edit: LST link, so copy and paste this into your browser: http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/tag/nlj-250/
Wow... re-read my post, and give me those stats again. :roll: here.. I will bold the important part that you missed, so it's easier for you to find.

For all NLJ 350, you may be right. But not Miami specifically (which is what I thought we were talking about)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:44 pm

MTBike wrote:
Wow... re-read my post, and give me those stats again. :roll: here.. I will bold the important part that you missed, so it's easier for you to find.

For all NLJ 350, possibly. But not Miami specifically (which is what I thought we were talking about)
What in the actual fuck is the NLJ350?

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
MTBike wrote:

For all NLJ 350, possibly. But not Miami specifically (which is what I thought we were talking about)
What in the actual fuck is the NLJ350?
Yeah I meant 250, my bad.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:49 pm

OP I really think it comes down to where you would like to practice... there is a difference between big law placement between the two, but its negligible and where you want to live/practice becomes more important when the difference in placement gets down to a certain point.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:Miami and South FL has more traditional "midlaw" firms I'd wager, like Gunster, Bilzin, Berger Singerman (Ft. Lauderdale). These aren't NLJ250. But there aren't many of these jobs. Like I said before, I'd you're srs about big/midsize firms, you gotta retake, as chances at these from UM are minuscule.
Pretty much this. I mean if you're debt free Miami isn't a bad place to be unemployed in an absolute worst case scenario.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Miami and South FL has more traditional "midlaw" firms I'd wager, like Gunster, Bilzin, Berger Singerman (Ft. Lauderdale). These aren't NLJ250. But there aren't many of these jobs. Like I said before, I'd you're srs about big/midsize firms, you gotta retake, as chances at these from UM are minuscule.
Pretty much this. I mean if you're debt free Miami isn't a bad place to be unemployed in an absolute worst case scenario.
Yeah I agree with this also...

Edit: Probably not going to be unemployed unless your like the bottom 8%ish of your class though, but yes, absolute worst case scenario, not a terrible environment.
Last edited by MTBike on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
bdole2 wrote:Neither will give you good shot at biglaw. If you truly will have no debt, then your choice just comes down to location preference.
This.

Sticker at both? I wouldn't feel good about leaving my parents on the hook for that much money combined with very mediocre job prospects unless you're family is filthy rich, for what it's worth.

I was accepted to Miami and withdrew as I am a S. FL native, for what that's worth.
This. If your parents standard of living is at all affected by going to either of these law schools than you need to retake.

DC818

New

Post by DC818 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
This.

This. If your parents standard of living is at all affected by going to either of these law schools than you need to retake.
Definitely fortunate that finances are not an concern. Thanks everyone for your input. Still waiting on a few schools and a few waitlists, but the deposit's likely going in to UM.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Miami easily if finances are not a concern. Literally, log off and go send in your acceptance, do it NOW! This isn't close.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”