Boston U vs. CA schools (UC Hastings, Loyola, Pepperdine) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best choice for IP/patent law?

Boston University (15k/yr)
34%
UC Hastings (21K/yr)
50%
Pepperdine (25k/yr)
9%
Loyola (Los Angeles) (23K/yr)
6%

Total votes: 32

xmnmroxx

New

Boston U vs. CA schools (UC Hastings, Loyola, Pepperdine)

Post by xmnmroxx » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:11 am

I am very interested in specializing in patent or intellectual property law (B.S. in engineering) but I am having trouble deciding between local schools or schools that specialize in IP (Boston is #8 in the nation for IP). I have lived in Los Angeles all my life, went to UCLA, and plan to return to LA to practice law. Does anyone know what the job prospects might be if I go away for school (Boston U or UC Hastings) versus going to lower ranked local schools (Pepperdine/Loyola) that don't excel in IP/patent law fields? I have decent scholarships from all 4 schools (see poll) so the finances aren't the variable in question. I am just trying to decide between going to a better school far away or staying local and networking at a lower ranked school. Any suggestions?

And which would you guys recommend between the Loyola and Pepperdine?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Boston U vs. CA schools (UC Hastings, Loyola, Pepperdine)

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JD Janitor

Bronze

Post by JD Janitor » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:BU is your best option, though it's not a particularly good one because it's waaay too damn expensive and also I'm guessing you want to practice in CA and not a lot of CA firms are gonna be recruiting from BU. IP is pretty in demand, but still, damn.
rad lulz,

I see you positing in many different threads. Curious as to your background/age/contacts. Where do you get the majority of your information? Is it from reading? Personal experience? This is a serious question.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:38 am

JD Janitor: Do you have anything to add toward the topic of the thread? I'm really looking for advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 am

rad lulz wrote:BU is your best option, though it's not a particularly good one because it's waaay too damn expensive and also I'm guessing you want to practice in CA and not a lot of CA firms are gonna be recruiting from BU. IP is pretty in demand, but still, damn.
Agree with this. BU is your best choice, but at 150k+? Yikes. Not liking that one bit.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

What kind of engineering? They have drastically different job outlooks that would determine where you can go. I would think Boston is really only better than the other schools if you are a bio engineer. But if that is the case, your BS is basically useless since they all require phd, and you shouldn't really rely on doing patent work I don't think. Also, that is only the case because of big pharma having a heavy presence in the northeast, so if you plan not to stay there I don't think BU would really help. Hastings would be best for electrical/software because of SV hiring for IP. Again that doesn't really help if you plan to go to LA though. I would think with electrical/software you would be able to get a job in LA or San Diego from Loyola/Pepperdine probably. A lot of the boutiques I've talked to care minimally about the rank of your school and SoCal has a pretty big tech industry.

If something like civil engineering, just become an engineer in my opinion.

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:17 pm

My B.S. is in chemical engineering but I have done a decent amount of research in biomaterials/biomolecular engineering.

tlsposter

New

Post by tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:02 pm

Hastings if you want to work in CA. BU if you want to work in Boston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:50 pm

How is Davis not on this list? Strike all the T2s immediately. I picked Davis over BU because I wanted to work in NorCal, but as a 0L I didn't know about ties and what they meant. Even though they're peer schools, BU is definitely a little better than UCD/H, and had I known then what I know now I would have gone there.

tlsposter

New

Post by tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 pm

True, but don't go to BU if you have your heart set on Cali.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:01 pm

tlsposter wrote:True, but don't go to BU if you have your heart set on Cali.
Dude I have ties to an insular CA market and would have had an easier time getting a jerb there with the same grades at BU than I did at Davis.

With no ties your advice is credited.

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:03 pm

I am actually still waiting to hear from USC and UC Davis. I would take USC at sticker if I got in, but I don't know about davis.

Pepperdine is 49th, loyola 51st. Are those really considered T2s? I know some people go by 25, others by 50.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:16 pm

SBL wrote:
tlsposter wrote:True, but don't go to BU if you have your heart set on Cali.
Dude I have ties to an insular CA market and would have had an easier time getting a jerb there with the same grades at BU than I did at Davis.

With no ties your advice is credited.
Kinda surprised that BU has that much street cred in Cali.

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:51 pm

update: waitlisted at USC, but it would be my #1. any suggestions for LOCI? I plan to visit and get a few letters of rec. but I don't have anyone significant left to write me a letter.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:59 pm

xmnmroxx wrote:I am actually still waiting to hear from USC and UC Davis. I would take USC at sticker if I got in, but I don't know about davis.

Pepperdine is 49th, loyola 51st. Are those really considered T2s? I know some people go by 25, others by 50.
They're peers. Pep can be considered a T1 now, I guess, but it doesn't make a difference at that level in terms of jerb results for their graduates.

fogcue2

New

Post by fogcue2 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:39 am

How good are you at networking. If you are honestly good (and don't just think your good) then BU could be a great option. I was in a similar position (even WL at USC, which I would have had to consider had I gotten off though over 200K for 3 yrs is a little scary). I had to decide between an out of region T-30 (with a 40% discount) vs. a few SoCal lower T1's or 2's (none offering full rides). I took the T-30 and have had to work a lot harder, but landed a pretty nice 1L gig and feel like I've st myself as good as I could have hoped both with contacts and grades to make a return as a 2L (assuming I repeat the grades this semester).

But, I have classmates also from CA, that blew off looking for a 1L summer job until January and who didn't get the grades who are still looking...

You don't have full control of the grades, but if you do go out of region start networking in July and August before you leave and don't stop....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:47 am

splitbrain wrote:
xmnmroxx wrote:I am actually still waiting to hear from USC and UC Davis. I would take USC at sticker if I got in, but I don't know about davis.

They're peers. Pep can be considered a T1 now, I guess, but it doesn't make a difference at that level in terms of jerb results for their graduates.
If Hastings, Davis, Loyola, and Pepperdine's numbers from 2010 are any indication, they're all about the same, give or take 5 percentage points.

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 am

I am not amazing at networking, I'd say a little better than average. And I know a few people in law/politics but nobody very major or influential.

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Just an update, Pepperdine increased schools to 30K/yr and dropped requirement to top 50% to renew.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:05 pm

xmnmroxx wrote:Just an update, Pepperdine increased schools to 30K/yr and dropped requirement to top 50% to renew.
that's still a shitty stipulation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 am

yeah I know, all the schools except Loyola and Pepperdine just say "good academic standing".

xmnmroxx

New

Post by xmnmroxx » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 am

another update: got into UC Davis, don't know about the money yet. it's ranked higher than Hastings by 15 spots (29 vs. 44) but do you guys think lawyers consider it to be better than Hastings? It's just moved up in recent years.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:34 am

xmnmroxx wrote:another update: got into UC Davis, don't know about the money yet. it's ranked higher than Hastings by 15 spots (29 vs. 44) but do you guys think lawyers consider it to be better than Hastings? It's just moved up in recent years.
You are putting waaaaay too much stock in the rankings. They are peer schools that are regional. Lawyers don't care about USNWR like prospective students do. Their placement is almost identical:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... Bd3c&gid=5

And as you can see from that data (or at least I hope you can see), neither school is worth anywhere close to sticker.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
xmnmroxx wrote:another update: got into UC Davis, don't know about the money yet. it's ranked higher than Hastings by 15 spots (29 vs. 44) but do you guys think lawyers consider it to be better than Hastings? It's just moved up in recent years.
You are putting waaaaay too much stock in the rankings. They are peer schools that are regional. Lawyers don't care about USNWR like prospective students do. Their placement is almost identical:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... Bd3c&gid=5

And as you can see from that data (or at least I hope you can see), neither school is worth anywhere close to sticker.
I like to give my friends at UCH shit about the rankings, but basically TITCR. Firms use the same cutoffs. If you really don't care though go to Davis because your COL will be 50% less, which adds up huge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”