Pepperdine vs. USF vs. Santa Clara

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
minigirl13

Pepperdine vs. USF vs. Santa Clara

Postby minigirl13 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 am

I am a graduating senior at UC Berkeley currently trying to decide where to attend law school in the fall, and the decision is pretty tough so far. I would love your input.

Of the places I have been accepted, I have narrowed my choices to Pepperdine (no scholarship, but highest ranked), USF (15k scholarship) and Santa Clara (9.5k scholarship).

I am interested in practicing tax/business law and I would like to eventually practice in the Bay Area. I know Pepperdine has the best rep, but some have told me USF and Santa Clara have better networks in the Bay and particularly SF. The 2 bay area schools, though ranked lower, have also offered me $. What concerns me, though, is that the newest rankings have dropped both USF and Santa Clara, and Pepperdine has gone up again.

I have emailed pepperdine trying to negotiate $, and am planning to follow up with a phone call tomorrow.

Based on my situation, what do you guys think would set me up best for career options, specifically in the bay? Does rank or location matter more?

Danteshek

Re: Pepperdine vs. USF vs. Santa Clara

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 am

Did you get into Loyola? I only ask because you said you are interested in tax. Hastings also has a pretty good tax program.

Without more information, I think Pepperdine is probably the right call here

minigirl13

Postby minigirl13 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:16 am

Yes, I did get into Loyola. When I went to the campus, though, I did not really like it very much. Also, I was told that it would be pretty hard to get a job in the bay area if I went to Loyola.

And I didnt get into Hastings :(

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:26 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:36 am

minigirl13 wrote:Yes, I did get into Loyola. When I went to the campus, though, I did not really like it very much. Also, I was told that it would be pretty hard to get a job in the bay area if I went to Loyola.

And I didnt get into Hastings :(

Your prospects from Pepperdine are more or less identical to your prospects from Loyola. If you want to study tax, it is irrational to choose Pepperdine over Loyola. I highly suggest you compare the business/tax faculty from Pepperdine and Loyola. There is a significant difference in resources.

Don't worry about not getting into Hastings. The Daily Journal reported last Friday that Hastings is cutting the incoming class by 20%, or 80 students.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Your shot at smaller bay area firms will be the best with either Santa Clara or USF. However, without more scholly $ those job prospects likely won't justify the cost of tuition..

Return to “Choosing a Law School”