Need to decide by April 16th for scholarship money! Have narrowed down schools quite a bit, but can't make the final decision between USC (22k/year scholarship) and Northwestern (25k/year scholarship)
I'm from California and attended UCLA for undergrad. I love LA, but am torn between going back to the familiar and experiencing something new. I know that I ultimately want to come back to CA, and feel that the Trojan network would really help in that. However, if for any reason, I ever want/need to live in another part of the country, USC wouldn't get me very far. Northwestern is definitely the better school in terms of ranking/reputation, but for some reason I'm hesitant to commit to it.
Also, I'm in a bit of a different situation. I'm interested in journalism, and possibly doing a dual degree in journalism while in law school. Both USC and Northwestern have great journalism schools that would allow me to do that. I'm not particularly crazy about Big Law, and will probably not pursue that route.
I also got into UCLA (15k/year), Michigan (15k/year), Penn, Cornell, Georgetown and UVA, but feel that the financial offers from USC and Northwestern trump all of these.
If not biglaw, then what?
Have you tried negotiating with UCLA? You might be able to get your 15k/yr bumped up to 20+ (and sounds like you'd get in-state tuition).
UCLA said they weren't able to increase my offer at the moment. They said I should contact them closer to May 1st to see if anything changed, but I only have until April 16th to decide for Northwestern.