Questions about Tulane

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jayhawk002

Questions about Tulane

Postby jayhawk002 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:26 am

I was set on attending Tulane this fall till a friend told me about this site. Now I have some serious questions. Tulane say's 33% of its graduates make 96k+, but only 38% reported. Should I assume only 12.5% of the class will be making this much or do some people just not report their salary info. Also, according the Us news info, only about 50% of people had jobs at graduation, I've heard some schools say this is because a lot of employers want people to take the bar first. Is this true or just an excuse. Also, I'm from Kansas, will it be difficult for me to get a job in LA/NOLA. One thing I've seen on here is people are really concerned about debt, thankfully my parents will be paying and I got a very nice scholarship so that won't be an issue. I think that's all the questions I had now but I'll post again if I think if any. Thanks in advance.

bk1

Re: Questions about Tulane

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:34 am

http://www.law.tulane.edu/uploadedFiles ... 9_2011.pdf

Their data is reported in a very unhelpful way. Honestly you shouldn't even be looking at salary data. Instead note how many have a job and aren't looking for a different one: 149. That means almost half the class (40%) is either unemployed or employed in a job that they wish to leave (likely because it is part time or temporary). You're not gonna have debt so that's good but Tulane's employment stats are downright terrifying.

This doesn't even count the fact that you, someone who has no ties to LA, are going to be regarded skeptically compared to people who have lived in LA their entire life and that's going to hurt your job hunt even more than the average Tulane grad.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:03 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:20 pm

i know its bad but honestly isn't 60% of the class having jobs they like pretty good ITE

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:24 pm

imbored25 wrote:i know its bad but honestly isn't 60% of the class having jobs they like pretty good ITE

It's not necessarily jobs they like. It's not necessarily jobs that can service their debt. It's merely jobs that they aren't willing to leave or to expend the effort to leave.

60% might be good for your gamut of TT, TTT, and TTTT schools, but it isn't objectively good when you consider that there are schools doing far better out there. Maybe I'd consider it good for OP if it was free, in a region he was from, and in a region he wanted to be. For OP it only really meets 1 of those 3 things.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Career services must have just updated that information. Good find BK.

OP, I would recommend using US News Career info for law schools to compare apples/apples and oranges/oranges - that publication tracks salaries, percentage reporting, and most other necessary information so that students to make effective career comparisons across schools (although it could be better). If you do end up deciding to look at US News info for various schools, try not to read into positive outcomes with some schools and negative outcomes with other schools - it's very easy to do that, trust me.

As for Tulane specifically, its outcomes are generally quite competitive with many, if not most of the schools outside of the T18+BC/BU/GW, so there is not reason to predict that the class of 2011 will be any different. I predict most schools outside the above few will be lucky to have 60-70% of their class of 2011 in full time employment.

As I'm currently a Tulane 3L, feel free to contact me by PM with any questions concerning the school.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:12 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
As for Tulane specifically, its outcomes are generally quite competitive with many, if not most of the schools outside of the T18+BC/BU/GW.

I'm not even sure TLS junkies can interpret this..

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 pm

OP Tulanes placement is scary but it's way better than most schools. Unless you wanna retake and try for one of the top 15 or so law schools,Tulane is about par for the course.

If it's all free and you prefer working downin that neck of the woods, not a bad decision.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”