Penn vs. Michigan vs. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn ($58,850)
75%
Mich ($54,000)
5%
Cornell ($75,000)
19%

Total votes: 73

taikofox

Postby taikofox » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 pm

The numbers in the poll are scholarship/grant amounts over three years.

Relevant things:
- LSAT: 170, GPA: 3.85
- I'll be going for biglaw, but I want to have options in case that doesn't pan out.
- I'm from Chicago and would like to end up back here, but it's not completely necessary (NYC is fine).
- No undergrad debt; crappy RA salary

Right now I'm leaning towards Penn and I'm waiting to hear back from their financial aid office about more cash. Michigan's LRAP seems to be the best out of the three, but Penn just rocks at biglaw and clerkship placement. Although Cornell has decent biglaw placement, I'm not sure it'd get me back to Chicago.

Thanks!

Nelson

Re: Penn vs. Michigan vs. Cornell

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:57 pm

If you're serious about Chi, then Mich. Otherwise, Penn. Philly beats the pants off Ithaca and Ann Arbor as a bonus.

Killingly

Postby Killingly » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Penn assuming you didn't/won't hate it when visiting.

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:40 am

This is a pretty tough call I think. Any gut instincts? Have you made any visits?

I think if it were me with your stated goals and interests I'd do Penn > Cornell > Michigan.

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:51 am

I normally don't give two shits about comparing law schools (I'm a 2L . . . I obviously did as a 0L), but I will be interested to see if the whole "Michigan is in decline" thing--that's big on here right now, with good reason--is a temporary fad or the start of something real.

econenthusiast09

Postby econenthusiast09 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:56 am

Dude, Penn. I would do godless things to get off the waitlist there.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:57 am

Given your ties/career goals, can't really go wrong between Penn and Michigan. Just pick the one you like more.

econenthusiast09 wrote:Dude, Penn. I would do godless things to get off the waitlist there.

In that case, shouldn't you be pushing Michigan?

woeisme

Postby woeisme » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:58 am

flcath wrote:I normally don't give two shits about comparing law schools (I'm a 2L . . . I obviously did as a 0L), but I will be interested to see if the whole "Michigan is in decline" thing--that's big on here right now, with good reason--is a temporary fad or the start of something real.

Haha, I'm actually a recent grad... :oops: :lol:

I just don't think Michigan's big law placement warrants the difference in $. The thing that makes this one a little tricky is the Chicago market preference. I really do think Michigan does quite a bit better there.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:00 am

woeisme wrote:
flcath wrote:I normally don't give two shits about comparing law schools (I'm a 2L . . . I obviously did as a 0L), but I will be interested to see if the whole "Michigan is in decline" thing--that's big on here right now, with good reason--is a temporary fad or the start of something real.

I just don't think Michigan's big law placement warrants the difference in $. The thing that makes this one a little tricky is the Chicago market preference. I really do think Michigan does quite a bit better there.

Given his ties, I don't think it will matter much. Otherwise, I would agree.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 am

Considering Penn's overall placement in biglaw, I think that has the be the response here. Michigan is definitely ok though if you prefer the campus and everything after visiting.

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:56 am

Interested in the Penn v. Michigan debate--are you factoring in COL here? Penn is cheaper than NYC, DC, and Chicago, but still more expensive than Ann Arbor.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:57 am

1) Cornell due to the large scholarship & great NYC biglaw placement
2) Penn unless you receive an increased scholarship
3) Michigan

flcath

Postby flcath » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 pm

woeisme wrote:

Yeah, I guess we should take into account the fact that Chicago has been dead as a legal market of late.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”