IUB ($$$$) vs BU ($$) vs UCLA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Indiana-Bloomington (Full-Tuition Scholarship)
50%
Boston University ($60k)
28%
UCLA ($24k)
22%

Total votes: 18

wgaines

Postby wgaines » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 pm

So I've been scavenging these boards and others for useful information but seem to be more confused than ever. I am considering a couple of law schools, but it has mostly come down to an almost full-priced UCLA, a half-priced BU, or a free Indiana (got a 166 with a 3.9 GPA). My goal is not exactly BigLaw but I would like to work for a midsize firm doing something interesting and important with my degree, but government or in-house would be cool too. I do not have a huge preference for my location but would prefer to be in a larger market--Chicago if in the Midwest. Indiana is very appealing because I'm kind of debt-averse, and I took a tour where they said Indiana places well in Chicago or DC, two places I would love to go, but I am skeptical of their optimism. I do not want to end up in Indiana, but the prospect of a debt-free law degree is pretty appealing, especially considering it's ranked around the T25. I haven't heard a lot about IUB on these boards, which is surprising considering the amount of money that they give and their recent rise in the ranks. Boston seems like a great school but I wonder if it is worth the extra $90k+ of debt and higher living expenses over Indiana, which has the same rank as BU. UCLA is the highest-ranked school I was admitted to but it is so darn expensive (I got $8k in aid off of a $55k/year tuition + high costs of living). Are the career prospects of UCLA that much better than Boston, and is Boston much better than Indiana? Any help would be appreciated--the seat deposit for BU is due on Sunday. Oh, I also have tried to bargain my IU full-ride with UCLA and got an extra 15k from doing so, and am currently trying with BU.

Furthermore, I was waitlisted at 8 T14 schools, with my dreamschool being Berkeley. Any chance I'll get in + is a T14 at sticker better than full-ride IUB or my other options? thanks.
Last edited by wgaines on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CanadianWolf

Re: IUB ($$$$) vs BU ($$) vs UCLA

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 pm

At which eight (8) T-14 law schools are you waitlisted ?

Based on the scant information shared in your original post, Indiana seems to be the best choice for you since you are scared by UCLA's high total COA & have not expressed strong interest in living & working in Boston.

wgaines

Postby wgaines » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Whoops, guess it was only 6. Penn, Berkeley, Michigan, Duke, UVA, and Georgetown. The other two were GW and Minnesota (surprisingly to me)

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:55 pm

What are your GPA / LSAT? How late in the cycle did you apply?

As someone who is likely attending IUB on scholarship, it doesn't sound like Indiana would be a good choice for you if you have no desire to work in the state. I would guess that <10% of IUB grads end up in Chicago, and <5% end up in DC. You really need to figure out where you want to work and decide based on that.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:57 pm

Your real concern may end up deciding between Indiana's full tuition & fees scholarship versus sticker at Penn, Berkely, Michigan or Duke.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 pm

Don't go to IUB if you don't want to end up in Indiana. But UCLA and BU are scary at those prices.

TCR is definitely retake, considering your GPA. Otherwise, I don't know--I guess IUB because you won't end up in crushing debt, but I don't think any are good options considering your goals of working in a big market. Edit: Actually, I think I'd pick BU, but I'd be very scared about it.
Last edited by Elston Gunn on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wgaines

Postby wgaines » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

GPA is 3.9, LSAT is 166. I applied to most schools in early December, with another round (including BU) in January as more fee-waivers came in. I would love to work in Boston, but any major city would be nice, as I wouldn't mind leaving the Midwest. So IUB has a very poor presence outside of Indiana? Even as a T25 supposedly on the rise? The career fair I went to at the law day implied that Chicago is a feeder market for IUB, and that the high Indiana-placement was a selection bias considering most IUB students are from the state and would like to remain there.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 pm

wgaines wrote:GPA is 3.9, LSAT is 166. I applied to most schools in early December, with another round (including BU) in January as more fee-waivers came in. I would love to work in Boston, but any major city would be nice, as I wouldn't mind leaving the Midwest. So IUB has a very poor presence outside of Indiana? Even as a T25 supposedly on the rise? The career fair I went to at the law day implied that Chicago is a feeder market for IUB, and that the high Indiana-placement was a selection bias considering most IUB students are from the state and would like to remain there.

Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161839&hilit=midwest+oci

It's not pretty. Don't let the rankings mislead you.

wgaines

Postby wgaines » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 pm

So basically IUB can lead to a position in Indianapolis or a small practice in the state unless I'm at the very top of my class? So Boston is better just because it's a place I'd much rather live in than Indiana? Aren't the interviewing prospects this dire at all schools of this rank though?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 pm

wgaines wrote:So basically IUB can lead to a position in Indianapolis or a small practice in the state unless I'm at the very top of my class? So Boston is better just because it's a place I'd much rather live in than Indiana? Aren't the interviewing prospects this dire at all schools of this rank though?

That's my understanding, though actual IUB students could give you a clearer picture. And no, I really don't think the prospects are that dire at places like BU/BC, which have way better placement AND place into places that are much more desirable for you. The rankings are pretty useless at this level--IUB spent a ton of money to climb the rankings, but I don't think employers really see them any differently.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:23 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm

i know its a common answer but i would sit the cycle retake in october and the ed to UVA/Duke,

I had similar stats (a little lower lsat) retook and got $$ to NYU it was def worth the extra two months of studying

wgaines

Postby wgaines » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 pm

So assuming I went with the poll results and chose Indiana. What sort of options would I have down the line with a free degree from a T25 school? My parents seem convinced that I would have a lot more freedom to be picky and select a job of my choosing because I wouldn't be saddled with crushing debt. Any truth to this, or would I just be stuck doing local suits in Fort Wayne or something?

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:13 pm

wgaines wrote:So assuming I went with the poll results and chose Indiana. What sort of options would I have down the line with a free degree from a T25 school? My parents seem convinced that I would have a lot more freedom to be picky and select a job of my choosing because I wouldn't be saddled with crushing debt. Any truth to this, or would I just be stuck doing local suits in Fort Wayne or something?

I can't speak in any detail to what jobs you'll get, but please please stop with this T25 school stuff. The fact that USNWR rates IUB very highly does not mean it has good job prospects, just that its entering students have good scores. You know ASU is 26 now, right?

You'll be free to be picky in the sense that you could easily choose to not be a lawyer and be fine, but I really doubt you'll get to be picky about which legal job you take unless you're at the top of the class.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:14 pm

wgaines wrote:So assuming I went with the poll results and chose Indiana. What sort of options would I have down the line with a free degree from a T25 school? My parents seem convinced that I would have a lot more freedom to be picky and select a job of my choosing because I wouldn't be saddled with crushing debt. Any truth to this, or would I just be stuck doing local suits in Fort Wayne or something?

I would not go to Indiana. I would take the 1/2 at BU. Don't pay attention to rankings. I think they're useless. Most schools place regionally, where they have the most ties, and Indiana does place in Chicago, but not particularly well, and it's got competition from like 10 other schools in that midwest region. BU is solid in Boston, and even place a few in NY. I think the extra premium for BU is worth it. Not UCLA, though. It is the best school but it's horrifically expensive and the LA market still sucks I believe.

tlsposter

Postby tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:06 pm

IUB for Indiana.
BU for Boston.
UCLA for the West Coast.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”