Help me choose a place to deposit!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Abrennan

Help me choose a place to deposit!

Postby Abrennan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:54 pm

I am looking for advice as to which school to deposit my $ at. I have been given advice to re-take the LSAT to increase my score and ability to gain entrance into a T1 school, but at this time that is not an option for me. I have been out of undergrad for 3 years and work at a disability rights organization. I am fairly certain that I am interested in studying disability rights/special education law. I am planning to attend part time and work full time to offset some of the costs.

This is my current acceptance situation:

Loyola Chicago- Waitlisted
Michigan State- Waitlisted

John Marshall (Chicago)- Accepted, no scholarship
California Western- Accepted, no scholarshp
Whittier- Accepted, $10k scholarship, $3k (per year) scholarship through their Center for Children's Rights fellows program

Waiting to hear from:
Loyola, Los Angeles
University of San Fransisco
Southwestern
Chicago Kent
Wayne State

I am hoping to get off the wait list at Loyola and would then plan to go there, but I can't be certain that will happen. Where should I make my deposit to? They are due by Friday!

chill

Re: Help me choose a place to deposit!

Postby chill » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

freaknroll

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:01 pm

chill wrote:
Abrennan wrote:I am looking for advice as to which school to deposit my $ at. I have been given advice to re-take the LSAT to increase my score and ability to gain entrance into a T1 school, but at this time that is not an option for me.

Why?

Probably for a reason which in the grand scheme of things is not as important as what will happen if you matriculate at any of these schools. Retaking is the best decision I ever made, I hope you do the same.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Any chance your current employer will hire you after law school? To do legal work of course

Abrennan

Postby Abrennan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm

There are many personal reasons as to why I have made this decision. I have paid a significant amount of money to take an LSAT prep course and my score
Is the highest it's been and it was my Second time taking the LSAT. Like I said I know it would be best to do that but since I will not be going down that road, I am trying to make the best decision possible. I appreciate any positive
Feedback around this matter. My current organization will not be able to hire a legal position as they are a small non profit. However, they are connected to a larger organization that may have openings.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 pm

If you've only taken the LSAT twice, retake again. If you can't do well enough to get into a school better than these, rethink your career plans.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:11 am

You seriously need to retake again.

If not, you will likely be 200k in debt at a school that will provide you essentially 0% chance of paying it off in a reasonable amount of time.

To be clear, that is $200,000.00 in debt. With the current state of the economy, you would be lucky if you got any kind of legal job coming from these schools. Also, what is the stipulation on your whittier scholarship. I remember someone in another thread had one that was top 5% which is hilariously bad.

Abrennan

Postby Abrennan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:49 am

The stip at Whittier:
Top 5%= full ride
Top 10%= 75%
Top 15%= 50%
Top 20%= 25%

I thought that was reasonable.

imbored25

Postby imbored25 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 am

if your ok with not have a legal job when you graduate id say have fun in orange county for three years

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:15 am

imbored25 wrote:if your ok with not have a legal job when you graduate id say have fun in orange county for three years

San Diego > Costa Mesa. Otherwise I agree with the sentiment of your post. Not that you will never get a legal job from this school OP, but you will never get one that allows you to pay back your debt.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 am

Abrennan wrote:The stip at Whittier:
Top 5%= full ride
Top 10%= 75%
Top 15%= 50%
Top 20%= 25%

This is one of the absolute worst law schools in the country. Your chance of getting a legal job coming from this school is slim to none. They fail out a third of the class every year so they can keep their bar passage rate at the bare minimum they need to stay accredited. How is this at all reasonable?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:03 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:05 am

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 am

Abrennan wrote:Where should I make my deposit to?

Deposit your ass in a chair with preptests so you can retake and go to one of these options for free.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:53 am

Abrennan wrote:I am looking for advice as to which school to deposit my $ at. I have been given advice to re-take the LSAT to increase my score and ability to gain entrance into a T1 school, but at this time that is not an option for me. I have been out of undergrad for 3 years and work at a disability rights organization. I am fairly certain that I am interested in studying disability rights/special education law. I am planning to attend part time and work full time to offset some of the costs.

Whittier- Accepted, $10k scholarship, $3k (per year) scholarship through their Center for Children's Rights fellows program

Waiting to hear from:
Loyola, Los Angeles
Southwestern
Chicago Kent
Wayne State

If you absolutely MUST attend this year, your best bets are the schools that have WL'd you or have not made decisions. I like Chicago-Kent and Loyola (CA) more than the rest, but they are all decent options. Chicago-Kent is an amazing school...very underrated. If you want to work in Chicago it's not a bad option at all. Choose it over Loyola-Chicago, which is just a stone's throw away from Northwestern Law. If you go to Loyola-Chicago, you'll bump into NULaw students daily at the McDonald's (Chicago Avenue) near Michigan Avenue - right above the train station - and be reminded daily of the better schools you aren't attending. Then again, that could serve as motivation to kick ass during 1L. :wink:

Choose Wayne St. over Michigan St., Choose Southwestern over USF.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:39 am

Abrennan wrote:The stip at Whittier:
Top 5%= full ride
Top 10%= 75%
Top 15%= 50%
Top 20%= 25%

No offense, but how the literal fuck is that reasonable? That's the worst scholarship I've ever seen, and it comes from a truly horrible law school.

If you insist on ruining yourself financially at any of these toilets, that's your call, but the smart decision is to either get a higher LSAT score and attend a good school or choose a different career path.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:07 am

PDaddy wrote:
If you absolutely MUST attend this year, your best bets are the schools that have WL'd you or have not made decisions. I like Chicago-Kent and Loyola (CA) more than the rest, but they are all decent options. Chicago-Kent is an amazing school...very underrated. If you want to work in Chicago it's not a bad option at all. Choose it over Loyola-Chicago, which is just a stone's throw away from Northwestern Law. If you go to Loyola-Chicago, you'll bump into NULaw students daily at the McDonald's (Chicago Avenue) near Michigan Avenue - right above the train station - and be reminded daily of the better schools you aren't attending. Then again, that could serve as motivation to kick ass during 1L. :wink:

Whatever you do OP, just don't listen to this guy.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 am

Abrennan wrote:There are many personal reasons as to why I have made this decision. I have paid a significant amount of money to take an LSAT prep course and my score is the highest it's been and it was my Second time taking the LSAT. Like I said I know it would be best to do that but since I will not be going down that road, I am trying to make the best decision possible. I appreciate any positive
Feedback around this matter. My current organization will not be able to hire a legal position as they are a small non profit. However, they are connected to a larger organization that may have openings.

Not nearly as much as you'll be paying for nothing if you attend those schools. Honestly, please, please, please, please, please do not attend any of those. Even at full scholarship. If you are hell bent on attending, only go with the ones you're waiting to hear back from. Do not under any circumstances go to those schools. The scholarship stipulations are abysmal and the chance of finding any employment out of those places is just as bad. Just please retake the LSAT, it's one short test in comparison to 3 years and a lifetime of diminished potential!

Abrennan

Postby Abrennan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am

I appreciate the helpful feedback. Thank you! Just to be clear to anyone who may read this in the future...I'm not interested in Biglaw and while I know many of these schools will indeed make it hard for me to get any sort of legal job, please keep in mind that becoming a Big Bad Attorney is not what I'm interested in. My desire to attend law school and study law stems from the passion to serve in a Disability Rights field/Special Education Advocacy field.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 am

PDaddy wrote:
Abrennan wrote:I am looking for advice as to which school to deposit my $ at. I have been given advice to re-take the LSAT to increase my score and ability to gain entrance into a T1 school, but at this time that is not an option for me. I have been out of undergrad for 3 years and work at a disability rights organization. I am fairly certain that I am interested in studying disability rights/special education law. I am planning to attend part time and work full time to offset some of the costs.

Waiting to hear from:
Loyola, Los Angeles
Southwestern
Chicago Kent
Wayne State

I don't know what the fuck this is. It's impossible that he's in a situation where he absolutely MUST attend at all, let alone this year, so indulging that is ridiculous and creates the false impression that he should choose any of his law school options. Also, describing Chicago-Kent as an "amazing school," or really anything above "sad shithole," makes me suspect you're trolling. But it's always hard to tell whether you're trolling, considering you once made a serious comment about how white people smell like buttermilk.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 am

Abrennan wrote:I appreciate the helpful feedback. Thank you! Just to be clear to anyone who may read this in the future...I'm not interested in Biglaw and while I know many of these schools will indeed make it hard for me to get any sort of legal job, please keep in mind that becoming a Big Bad Attorney is not what I'm interested in. My desire to attend law school and study law stems from the passion to serve in a Disability Rights field/Special Education Advocacy field.

HOW are you going to pay off your 200k in debt unless you get Biglaw? (and you won't get biglaw from any of these schools)

Abrennan

Postby Abrennan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 am

No biggie, but I'm actually a female. Not sure where the assumption lies that I was male.

Abrennan

Postby Abrennan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am

I'm not planning to have 200k in debt because I will only be borrowing for tuition, not living expenses. Also, I am planning to attend a school that has a loan forgiveness program as well as utilize the benefit of the public service loan forgiveness program through the government. I know it will not eliminate all of my debt, but it will certainly not leave me with 200k in student loans.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 am

Bildungsroman wrote:But it's always hard to tell whether you're trolling, considering you once made a serious comment about how white people smell like buttermilk.

What I got from this thread.

bdole2

Postby bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 am

Abrennan wrote:No biggie, but I'm actually a female. Not sure where the assumption lies that I was male.

Who said anything about your gender?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”