Question about ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoleMatt

New

Question about ties

Post by NoleMatt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm from north Florida (Destin originally but I've lived in Tallahassee for the last 5 or 6 years) and have no interest in attending any Florida schools or working here. Is being from north Florida close enough to be a tie in Georgia? For example, if I went to Emory or UGA, would I have a hard time getting a job in Georgia because of my lack of Georgia ties, or would my being from north FL be good enough?

Also, how good of a tie is having extended family in a certain area? I have never lived in Boston, but that's where my dad's side of the family is from. I have a grandpa and 3 aunts/their families that live in the greater Boston area, is that an okay tie?

TomahawkChopper

New

Re: Question about ties

Post by TomahawkChopper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Ties always go to the runner.

How many times do we have to go over this? Does this look like Intro to Baseball 101?

StarLightSpectre

Bronze

Post by StarLightSpectre » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:10 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:Ties always go to the runner.

How many times do we have to go over this? Does this look like Intro to Baseball 101?

8)

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 am

Anyone?

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

One last bump.

Plz send halp.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am

NoleMatt wrote:I'm from north Florida (Destin originally but I've lived in Tallahassee for the last 5 or 6 years) and have no interest in attending any Florida schools or working here. Is being from north Florida close enough to be a tie in Georgia? For example, if I went to Emory or UGA, would I have a hard time getting a job in Georgia because of my lack of Georgia ties, or would my being from north FL be good enough?

Also, how good of a tie is having extended family in a certain area? I have never lived in Boston, but that's where my dad's side of the family is from. I have a grandpa and 3 aunts/their families that live in the greater Boston area, is that an okay tie?
I think North Florida is probably pretty good, as North Florida has more in common with most of Georgia than the rest of Florida. I think you'd probably be ok. It's not great, but not terrible.

It's passable, but not nearly as good as going to undergrad there, being from there, or having parents/wife there. It's certainly better than nothing.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

Ties are a myth perpetuated by the TLS aristocracy to keep the poor man down.

Okay no, but really, as one of the people who often pushes people to think about ties and geography, I would say not to overthink it either. A lot of people have really taken the ties thing pretty far out of context. Ties or lack thereof are NOT a golden bullet or a dealbreaker. It can, however, make a difference in convincing employers and connecting with interviewers.

It is usually relevant when someone is looking at three different schools in three ridiculously random parts of the country. A Floridian looking to work in Atlanta or something is certainly not odd. I'm sure you could sell yourself to most of the state if you went to school there.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am

romothesavior wrote:Ties are a myth perpetuated by the TLS aristocracy to keep the poor man down.

Okay no, but really, as one of the people who often pushes people to think about ties and geography, I would say not to overthink it either. A lot of people have really taken the ties thing pretty far out of context. Ties or lack thereof are NOT a golden bullet or a dealbreaker. It can, however, make a difference in convincing employers and connecting with interviewers.

It is usually relevant when someone is looking at three different schools in three ridiculously random parts of the country. A Floridian looking to work in Atlanta or something is certainly not odd. I'm sure you could sell yourself to most of the state if you went to school there.
I lol'ed
yeah, if you were looking for a job in like Montana or something I would say it may effect you, but a simple matter of across state lines, being that I assume you lived close to that state line then many parts of the rest of Florida anyways, I don't think it would be a big deal.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am

Also, for what it's worth the firm I work for in Atlanta has multiple partners and a handful of associates (post 08 hired) that are UF grads, so it's not uncommon to see that in ATL. Especially since ATL is the biggest business/legal hub in the old confederacy states.

NoleMatt

New

Post by NoleMatt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm

tfleming09 wrote: I think North Florida is probably pretty good, as North Florida has more in common with most of Georgia than the rest of Florida. I think you'd probably be ok. It's not great, but not terrible.

It's passable, but not nearly as good as going to undergrad there, being from there, or having parents/wife there. It's certainly better than nothing.
This is so true and I was hoping it would make a difference.

Thank you guys for the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”