Question about ties

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
NoleMatt
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Question about ties

Postby NoleMatt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm

I'm from north Florida (Destin originally but I've lived in Tallahassee for the last 5 or 6 years) and have no interest in attending any Florida schools or working here. Is being from north Florida close enough to be a tie in Georgia? For example, if I went to Emory or UGA, would I have a hard time getting a job in Georgia because of my lack of Georgia ties, or would my being from north FL be good enough?

Also, how good of a tie is having extended family in a certain area? I have never lived in Boston, but that's where my dad's side of the family is from. I have a grandpa and 3 aunts/their families that live in the greater Boston area, is that an okay tie?

TomahawkChopper
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby TomahawkChopper » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Ties always go to the runner.

How many times do we have to go over this? Does this look like Intro to Baseball 101?

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:10 pm

TomahawkChopper wrote:Ties always go to the runner.

How many times do we have to go over this? Does this look like Intro to Baseball 101?



8)

User avatar
NoleMatt
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby NoleMatt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 am

Anyone?

User avatar
NoleMatt
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby NoleMatt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

One last bump.

Plz send halp.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am

NoleMatt wrote:I'm from north Florida (Destin originally but I've lived in Tallahassee for the last 5 or 6 years) and have no interest in attending any Florida schools or working here. Is being from north Florida close enough to be a tie in Georgia? For example, if I went to Emory or UGA, would I have a hard time getting a job in Georgia because of my lack of Georgia ties, or would my being from north FL be good enough?

Also, how good of a tie is having extended family in a certain area? I have never lived in Boston, but that's where my dad's side of the family is from. I have a grandpa and 3 aunts/their families that live in the greater Boston area, is that an okay tie?


I think North Florida is probably pretty good, as North Florida has more in common with most of Georgia than the rest of Florida. I think you'd probably be ok. It's not great, but not terrible.

It's passable, but not nearly as good as going to undergrad there, being from there, or having parents/wife there. It's certainly better than nothing.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:44 am

Ties are a myth perpetuated by the TLS aristocracy to keep the poor man down.

Okay no, but really, as one of the people who often pushes people to think about ties and geography, I would say not to overthink it either. A lot of people have really taken the ties thing pretty far out of context. Ties or lack thereof are NOT a golden bullet or a dealbreaker. It can, however, make a difference in convincing employers and connecting with interviewers.

It is usually relevant when someone is looking at three different schools in three ridiculously random parts of the country. A Floridian looking to work in Atlanta or something is certainly not odd. I'm sure you could sell yourself to most of the state if you went to school there.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am

romothesavior wrote:Ties are a myth perpetuated by the TLS aristocracy to keep the poor man down.

Okay no, but really, as one of the people who often pushes people to think about ties and geography, I would say not to overthink it either. A lot of people have really taken the ties thing pretty far out of context. Ties or lack thereof are NOT a golden bullet or a dealbreaker. It can, however, make a difference in convincing employers and connecting with interviewers.

It is usually relevant when someone is looking at three different schools in three ridiculously random parts of the country. A Floridian looking to work in Atlanta or something is certainly not odd. I'm sure you could sell yourself to most of the state if you went to school there.


I lol'ed
yeah, if you were looking for a job in like Montana or something I would say it may effect you, but a simple matter of across state lines, being that I assume you lived close to that state line then many parts of the rest of Florida anyways, I don't think it would be a big deal.

User avatar
flem
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby flem » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am

Also, for what it's worth the firm I work for in Atlanta has multiple partners and a handful of associates (post 08 hired) that are UF grads, so it's not uncommon to see that in ATL. Especially since ATL is the biggest business/legal hub in the old confederacy states.

User avatar
NoleMatt
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Question about ties

Postby NoleMatt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:56 pm

flem wrote:I think North Florida is probably pretty good, as North Florida has more in common with most of Georgia than the rest of Florida. I think you'd probably be ok. It's not great, but not terrible.

It's passable, but not nearly as good as going to undergrad there, being from there, or having parents/wife there. It's certainly better than nothing.


This is so true and I was hoping it would make a difference.

Thank you guys for the help.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Screech Owl and 6 guests