Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Thanks!

Emory: 20K
4
50%
W&L: 20K
3
38%
Illinois: 22K
1
13%
 
Total votes: 8

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:19 pm

With deadlines approaching and my desire to squeeze some more cash out of BU I'm wondering which schools I should choose to deposit at to give myself the best chance for successful negotiation. So far my offers are:

BU: 10K
Emory: 20K
W&L: 20K
Illinois: 22K
(all amounts per year)

I can only afford the BU deposit and one more on top of it. Also, I've already tried negotiating with BU and they basically said that they are unable to offer me more money at this time but may reconsider at a later date. Thoughts?

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:15 pm

now with poll

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Deposit at whichever law school you would attend if unsuccessful at negotiating for more scholarship money with BU.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:20 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Deposit at whichever law school you would attend if unsuccessful at negotiating for more scholarship money with BU.


Have already done so.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Are you going to BU no matter what or only if you get more money from them? Where do you want to work?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm

At which law school did you deposit ?

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Are you going to BU no matter what or only if you get more money from them? Where do you want to work?


Most likely going to BU only if I get more cash. No strong preference regarding location, most of my friends have left Texas and I've been itching to get out for a long time. Other school that got the deposit was SMU. I'm not really asking for advice on which schools to attend, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm only considering paying the deposits at W&L and Emory for negotiation purposes, I didn't enjoy the school all that much when I visited.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby Ludo! » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 pm

Then I'd just pay whichever one is cheapest. I don't think there's much difference in prestige between the three schools

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:36 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Then I'd just pay whichever one is cheapest. I don't think there's much difference in prestige between the three schools


Thanks, do you think it matters at all that the BU offer was need based?

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Depends whether or not the other scholarship offers have stipulations & depends upon whether or not your financial situation will change significantly over the next three years.

With respect to negotiating an increase of a need based award, you may be out-of-luck unless you mistakenly over-reported your income & assests that led to the financial aid award. Nevertheless, BU awards merit aid so you may receive additional scholarship money if scholarship dollars are still available or become available.

freaknroll
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby freaknroll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:52 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Depends whether or not the other scholarship offers have stipulations & depends upon whether or not your financial situation will change significantly over the next three years.

With respect to negotiating an increase of a need based award, you may be out-of-luck unless you mistakenly over-reported your income & assests that led to the financial aid award. Nevertheless, BU awards merit aid so you may receive additional scholarship money if scholarship dollars are still available or become available.


That's what I was thinking with regard to the need based award. Frankly, I was shocked that I got some need based money to begin with. I'm hoping that I may get some merit on top of it due to the other merit offers which I've received.

The only offer which has stips is W&L's (top 70%), and my financial situation will not change. Btw, I appreciate all the advice, before I found TLS I was content with a 161 and paying sticker at whichever T-2 school accepted me.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Deposits and Scholarship Negotiation

Postby Gail » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Emory is the best of the three. I'm not sure what UIUC is doing right now and I think administrators will use its recent turmoil against you in negotiation.

I'd choose Emory. It's only $250. If BU bump your scholarship by $300, you've made a profit.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests