Penn State v. Kentucky

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Which should I choose?

Employment prospects, rankings, quality of life, etc?

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=182003

Also, where are you from? Where do you want to work? Total cost of attendance at each school?

Need more info buddy.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry, my first post.

I really don't care where I work, probably in Virginia (where I'm from).

I have $15k from each school making UK $27k and Penn State $47k.

Pretty much my whole family has gone to Penn State, but I've lived in KY for a couple years and my family knows several lawyers in the Louisville area. I also have a pretty solid job offer from a family friend in Richmond, VA for next summer if I want it.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm not trying to sound like a pretentious jerk, I promise. I'm just trying to give some information.

When I visited UK they said it was kind of hard to find jobs in the summer after first year, so I thought it would help to know that I may have a job offer in Richmond. It's a small firm, so I'm not sure if it could lead to post-graduate employment.

I would not be taking out any loans most likely, my parents are willing to front the money (at least for UK, Penn State is pushing it).

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:40 pm

If you want to work in Virginia, go to a school in Virginia. URichmond is a great option if you want to work in that city.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:41 pm

.
Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, I'm waitlisted and hoping to get in.

But if I don't get into Richmond, which (UK v. PSU) would be the better option? I don't mind living in either state, if that helps.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:05 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:Yeah, I'm waitlisted and hoping to get in.

But if I don't get into Richmond, which (UK v. PSU) would be the better option? I don't mind living in either state, if that helps.


Is a retake possible? I don't see either getting you back to Virginia easily.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:09 pm

I mean I would really like to go to school now... I feel like I would absolutely never want to go back to school after a year or two off.

But I'm not opposed to living in KY or PA. I would like to eventually end up in Virginia if possible, but that doesn't need to be immediate. And I go to UVa now, will that not help me at all?

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:20 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:I mean I would really like to go to school now... I feel like I would absolutely never want to go back to school after a year or two off.

But I'm not opposed to living in KY or PA. I would like to eventually end up in Virginia if possible, but that doesn't need to be immediate. And I go to UVa now, will that not help me at all?


It's really not that bad going through 1 year off school, trust me. I was opposed to it too, but I didn't like my options (Syracuse $$ and Miami full price). Took the year off and improved my LSAT only 3 points. Now I'm in at UF FSU SMU and waitlisted at Washington and Lee and Emory. It's not the ultimate success story, but it proves how every point matters. Just a few points and you won't have to deal with either of those average schools.

I think a huge issue is both of your options are just meh. It doesn't appear you have any sort of connection to either state, yet you do in VA. Stay in VA. If that means a retake then so be it.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 pm

I understand that taking a year off is a good and very sensible choice for some. I know a ton of people who have done it/are doing it. On the other hand, it's just really not in the cards for me at this point.

My entire extended family lives in PA and I have lived in Louisville before and my family knows several lawyers in the area. So I feel like I do have ties to both states. And if I get into Richmond, then I'll definitely go there, but that's still up in the air.

I just really want to know if UK or PSU would be the better choice just in general. PSU is ranked lower but they seem to have a better national reputation (even though they are a regional school). Do rankings really matter that much? Lexington is much cheaper than housing around University Park.

I know they're not the best options, but I knew that going into applying. I'm just looking for some help before I have to commit to a school.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:29 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:I understand that taking a year off is a good and very sensible choice for some. I know a ton of people who have done it/are doing it. On the other hand, it's just really not in the cards for me at this point.

My entire extended family lives in PA and I have lived in Louisville before and my family knows several lawyers in the area. So I feel like I do have ties to both states. And if I get into Richmond, then I'll definitely go there, but that's still up in the air.

I just really want to know if UK or PSU would be the better choice just in general. PSU is ranked lower but they seem to have a better national reputation (even though they are a regional school). Do rankings really matter that much? Lexington is much cheaper than housing around University Park.

I know they're not the best options, but I knew that going into applying. I'm just looking for some help before I have to commit to a school.


UK since it's cheaper. Just know Kentucky is very insular.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:30 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:PSU is ranked lower but they seem to have a better national reputation (even though they are a regional school). Do rankings really matter that much? Lexington is much cheaper than housing around University Park.

Neither of these schools have any national reputation at all. Penn State barely has any placement power in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:40 pm

I really appreciate all of the feedback, you guys. Any insight really does help, even the harsh comments!

User avatar
NoleMatt
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby NoleMatt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Retake, ED to UVA

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Ugh, I wish I could go to UVa. They only accept 7% of undergrads that apply. They're always trying to build their alumni base and since I'll already be a part of it, they don't want me.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:Ugh, I wish I could go to UVa. They only accept 7% of undergrads that apply. They're always trying to build their alumni base and since I'll already be a part of it, they don't want me.


They'll gladly accept you with the proper LSAT and GPA

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:15 pm

Do the rankings between PSU and UK matter???

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:Do the rankings between PSU and UK matter???


No.

User avatar
JD Janitor
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby JD Janitor » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:26 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:Do the rankings between PSU and UK matter???


I venture to say no. Look how much schools fluctuate from year to year. Its possible that within the 3 years you are there, the schools will be ranked very differently from when you went in. The ultimate goal is a good job. The question should be what school can get you a decent paying job.

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:56 pm

So if the rankings don't matter, then how do I choose??

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:02 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:So if the rankings don't matter, then how do I choose??


Would you rather live/work in Kentucky? or Pennsylvania?

That is how you choose.

If neither, then you need to take a year off and reapply. Why is this option "not in the cards" for you at this point?

kebUVA2012
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby kebUVA2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Basically my parents won't help me pay for school if I wait, they just don't see the point. It may not seem like a huge deal, but coming out with debt doesn't seem great at this point.

I'm still waiting on a few places... so hopefully that will make a difference. I'm also in at DePaul and South Carolina, but I figured those weren't great options from what I have read on this website. That's why I'm trying to decide between UK and PSU.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bdole2
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Penn State v. Kentucky

Postby bdole2 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 pm

kebUVA2012 wrote:Basically my parents won't help me pay for school if I wait, they just don't see the point. It may not seem like a huge deal, but coming out with debt doesn't seem great at this point.


Use the skills you would use as a future litigator and explain to your parents that if you retook the LSAT that you could get better scholarships to schools like these and that it would result in less money that they would have to pay.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests