UT ($$$) vs. Columbia Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pick my school for me!!

Texas ($84,000)
20%
Columbia (assume $0)
80%

Total votes: 46

Creasy729

New

UT ($$$) vs. Columbia

Post by Creasy729 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:00 am

Due to multiple wait-lists, my decision has come down to University of Texas and Columbia University. I was born in Texas and have lived in the south my whole life, but I have to admit that Columbia was/is my dream school due to its location, prospects, etc. Neither the weather nor the atmosphere really factor in considering I like big cities (lived in Atlanta for a long time). I have visited both and prefer Columbia from the visits (although I was always predisposed to feel that way I suppose).

As such, this would be an easy decision at face value. Unfortunately, money cannot just be ignored. Texas is offering $84,000 while it appears that I won't be getting much from Columbia. There is definitely a difference in prestige, placement, etc. between Columbia and Texas, but that is a rather large amount of money. I still lean towards Columbia, but I want to get a sense of what you guys think.

Also, it's worth mentioning that I grew up wanting BigLaw. I'm not quite as set on a career right now as I was when I was a dumb freshman in college, but BigLaw is still attractive to me. Of course, Columbia's LRAP is pretty badass (at least from what I understood) if I did go public interest.

Tadatsune

Bronze

Re: UT ($$$) vs. Columbia

Post by Tadatsune » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:07 am

Where do you want to work?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:09 am

Unless you're from Texas and want to work there, Columbia is probably a better option. Sticker price isn't great, but plenty of people pay sticker for Columbia every year and do OK.

Creasy729

New

Post by Creasy729 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 pm

I'm not set on working anywhere, but I do know is that I would like to have some flexibility (location-wise) coming out of school. This also makes me lean towards Columbia. Sticker-price there is going to suck, but I think that is increasingly becoming my choice.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:17 pm

Columbia based on your preferences (i.e., big law, more national reach, dream school).

Do you have any lower T14 options? MVPB with $, e.g.?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:35 pm

If you come out of Texas after working your ass off in law school, you should have some pretty decent placement options. If you wanted to work anywhere in the south, especially, you should be fine. However, if you do want the NY/Chi biglaw options, you definitely are placing a much safer bet going to Columbia.

Creasy729

New

Post by Creasy729 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:07 pm

Bronck: That's what's weird about my decision. I applied to UVA and Michigan as well and got wait-listed at both when I expected to get into at least one. Harvard is holding my application. So, I may have some choices down the road, but I don't anticipate money coming my way from any of them. I definitely feel like I have had an odd law school process. I'm probably not alone in that respect though haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”