Conflicted? What to do?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
isthisreallife

Conflicted? What to do?

Postby isthisreallife » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:07 pm

First post on TLS, here goes nothing...

It's been bugging me how my cycle is about to come to an end and I realized that I might not be truly happy attending these schools
(or it might be the wait list anxiety finally getting to me)

I took a gap year off upon graduating to prep for the LSATs but choked on LSATs (163) and I decided to go for it since my background's a little different
(or I'd just go browse through the forums and decide)

- I majored in petroleum/chemical engineering (top 10 program) with an atrocious GPA (3.02) compared to you guys (so it's very unlikely that I'll get more money if I do retake)
-I'd like to practice IP (patent) law in CA
(right now I've only heard back from UC Irvine (WL), Pepperdine (WL), dinged at Davis, still waiting at USF, Hastings, Santa Clara, USD and Loyola Marymount)
-In at U Richmond (deposit due 4/15) and Baylor(withdrew)
-Wait listed at 7 schools total, from top 20 all the way to fifties (wild range), withdrew from George Mason, U Illinois today

What should I do? (other than checking for mail like a crazy person on a hourly basis)
-I'd be super happy if I got in Santa Clara

llachans

Re: Conflicted? What to do?

Postby llachans » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Have you sent LOCIs?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:30 pm

I think you should absolutely take one more year, bust your ass, and retake the LSAT. With your IP background, a T20-30 w/money would be a good call. Mid-upper 160s makes you competitive for these types of schools, and your IP background would make you more competitive for biglaw than other students.

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 pm

isthisreallife wrote:First post on TLS, here goes nothing...

It's been bugging me how my cycle is about to come to an end and I realized that I might not be truly happy attending these schools
(or it might be the wait list anxiety finally getting to me)

I took a gap year off upon graduating to prep for the LSATs but choked on LSATs (163) and I decided to go for it since my background's a little different
(or I'd just go browse through the forums and decide)

- I majored in petroleum/chemical engineering (top 10 program) with an atrocious GPA (3.02) compared to you guys (so it's very unlikely that I'll get more money if I do retake)
-I'd like to practice IP (patent) law in CA
(right now I've only heard back from UC Irvine (WL), Pepperdine (WL), dinged at Davis, still waiting at USF, Hastings, Santa Clara, USD and Loyola Marymount)
-In at U Richmond (deposit due 4/15) and Baylor(withdrew)
-Wait listed at 7 schools total, from top 20 all the way to fifties (wild range), withdrew from George Mason, U Illinois today

What should I do? (other than checking for mail like a crazy person on a hourly basis)
-I'd be super happy if I got in Santa Clara

Do you have a job/internship? If not you should try to find something, perhaps something legal related like interning at a IP firm or something since that is what you want.
Do not go to Santa Clara, they give very little aid and job prospects are dismal. Retake and profit.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:40 am

OK, so the good news is that, now that you got the choking part out of the way, you can retake and profit. That's how it worked for me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”