Mich/Vandy/USC/UCLA/Fordham

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which to choose...

Michigan ($60k)
86%
Vandy ($60k)
2%
USC ($60k)
5%
Fordham (60k)
7%
UCLA (waitlisted, if I get in 60k)
No votes

Total votes: 44

smoneill88

Mich/Vandy/USC/UCLA/Fordham

Postby smoneill88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Howdy Folks.

Choosing between a few options and I'd love some input.

I plan on practicing in either NY or LA, equal favor given to both. At this point I have my sights set on Entertainment Law or Big Law. I'm an LA native, have lived here my whole life, plenty of connections in LA + Entertainment via friends + my work experience in entertainment. Being a life-long LA native, I love the idea of spreading my wings a little and spending 3 years in a new place just in case I end up practicing in LA.

My family has offered to supplement any scholarships I receive to bring them up to 60k (so if a school offers me 40k, family offers me 20k, etc.) Right now I'm leaning towards Michigan, it's the best school I've gotten into and after visiting I got a great feeling from it. UCLA/USC, though great schools for entertainment law, make me wary of getting 'stuck' in LA. What do you think is the right decision? Michigan? LA (UCLA or USC)? Or Vandy/Fordham?

Mr. Somebody

Re: Mich/Vandy/USC/UCLA/Fordham

Postby Mr. Somebody » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Easy choice here, Michigan. If you strike out in LA you have more access to NY than you would at USC/UCLA.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:Easy choice here, Michigan. If you strike out in LA you have more access to NY than you would at USC/UCLA.

dooood

Postby dooood » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:07 pm

Not even a question

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Tadatsune wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:Easy choice here, Michigan. If you strike out in LA you have more access to NY than you would at USC/UCLA.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 am

Assuming michigan's abysmal placing this year is an animals, go there.
If you believe mishitgone is in trouble, UCLA/USC are your best options for LA, Vandy if you want to spread your wings, as it has the most portability of the remainder
Fordham places well in NY, but has no portability out of the big apple (but then you won't have classes with me!). Its NLJ250 placement for 2012 barely lags Vandy

Edit: I can't vote Fordham in good conscience

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 am

dingbat wrote:Assuming michigan's abysmal placing this year is an animals, go there.
If you believe mishitgone is in trouble, UCLA/USC are your best options for LA, Vandy if you want to spread your wings, as it has the most portability of the remainder

Fordham places well in NY, but has no portability out of the big apple (but then you won't have classes with me!). Its NLJ250 placement for 2012 barely lags Vandy

Michigan is the best choice here, regardless of what OP believes about placement this year. I've visited all three and there's an enormous difference between Michigan and USC/UCLA.
ETA: USC & UCLA are both fine schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:42 am

Seems as if you answered your own question in your original post in this thread.

P.S. If you're seeking validation, then nobody is likely to criticize your choice to attend Michigan.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:56 am

moneybagsphd wrote:
dingbat wrote:Assuming michigan's abysmal placing this year is an animals, go there.

Michigan is the best choice here, regardless of what OP believes about placement this year. I've visited all three and there's an enormous difference between Michigan and USC/UCLA.
ETA: USC & UCLA are both fine schools.

Yeah, I was trying to play devil's advocate. Michigan is the best choice

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 am

Wow, thank you everyone for the swift and decisive advice. I had a premonition Michigan would be the winner, I just didn't expect the landslide victory due to my interest in Entertainment Law.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 pm

smoneill88 wrote:Wow, thank you everyone for the swift and decisive advice. I had a premonition Michigan would be the winner, I just didn't expect the landslide victory due to my interest in Entertainment Law.

That's because very very few people actually do Entertainment Law, so it shouldn't be a factor in the decision.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm

smoneill88 wrote:My family has offered to supplement any scholarships I receive to bring them up to 60k (so if a school offers me 40k, family offers me 20k, etc.) Right now I'm leaning towards Michigan, it's the best school I've gotten into and after visiting I got a great feeling from it. UCLA/USC, though great schools for entertainment law, make me wary of getting 'stuck' in LA. What do you think is the right decision? Michigan? LA (UCLA or USC)? Or Vandy/Fordham?

How much have these schools offered you? Just because your parents will make up the difference doesn't mean all schollys should be treated equally. Why put more financial burden on your parents than necessary? For example, if you have like 60k from USC and 0 from UCLA, I would suggest withdrawing from UCLA's WL, as there's no reason to put the extra financial burden on your parents to go to an equivalent school.
All things being equal, Mich is the clear choice here. If you want to do entertainment law you'll most likely be 'stuck' in LA anyways (that's assuming you get an entertainment law job, which you won't). Mich will give you the most portability, and has better NYC placement than Fordham. Vand for the south.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”