Fordham Vs. Boston College

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bigsby

Fordham Vs. Boston College

Postby Bigsby » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Trying to decide between these two. I have really been putting this off as it's very stressful and I'm leaning toward Fordham. With 2 more months of work plus the scholly money I've gotten from both schools, I'll be able to go to either school and graduate completely debt free. I really want to work in New York City, and thus why I am leaning toward Fordham. However I am trying to find accurate job information from both schools. I basically ignore all the so-called 'facts' from these law schools because frankly I don't trust them. I was wondering where I can get cold hard facts abotu job placement and where from these two schools. I also have a bunch of waitlists in the top 14 (i hope I get at least one!) but as of now I need to make a deposit so I can secure going to a school for the time being. Can someone help me walk through how THEY figured out what school they wanted to go to?

The first thing for me is location. New York City area is where I would like to be. However what is this stuff like the NJLP250 or other stuff like that. I am really unfamiliar with these terms and I was wondering, what do you guys look at when picking a school? I'm assuming it mainly has to do with job prospects but what information should I be looking at?

Thank you so much!! I look forward to your responses.

dingbat

Re: Fordham Vs. Boston College

Postby dingbat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:40 pm

BC and Fordham are very similar schools in terms of quality, reputation, and most importantly job placement
However, Fordham predominantly places in NY while BC placed more in Boston.
That being said, it's easier to go to BC and end in NY than go to Fordham and end up in Boston.
As you really want to end up in NY, Fordham is a better option, assuming thè cost is more or less the same.

wolverine10

Postby wolverine10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:41 pm

Fordham, due to its location and academic reputation, gives one of the better shots at BigLaw in NYC outside the top 14. If you want to end up in NYC then it seems to be an easy choice. Personally I did not care for Fordham, both the facilities and environment when I visited but to each their own. The school is expensive and is stingy with scholarships, combine that with a high COL in the city and you have a lot of students in a lot of debt that need big law jobs to pay it off. I just got a competitive vibe that put me off but I may be totally off base.

That being said you said you'd have no debt so why not go to a school that gives you the best shot to work in a the city you want to work. So my vote is Fordham

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:44 pm

NLJ250 refers to the percentage of graduates working at the 250 biggest law firms in the country (biglaw) typically earning scale ($160k in yr 1)
BC and Fordham have very similar placement, currently around 20-25%
For Fordham, it is mostly in NY.
For BC it's mostly Boston and some NY

Edit: it is compiled independently from the school, so many people give it more credit.
There are discrepancies, but that's a whole different discussion.
The other data to look for is federal clerkship. It is assumed these students could get biglaw but choose not to, so it is often added to NLJ250 data to figure out what percentage of students can get a good job. (quick and dirty, but does the trick)

Bigsby

Postby Bigsby » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks guys!

Are there any more resources I can look at for helping me decide?

I was also considering George Washington University but I went there and realllly didn't like it. I also disliked the area. Something about it rubbed me the wrong away and I felt like, even though its the highest rank school I've been accepted, it wasn't gonna get me where I needed to go.

Since I want to be in NY, it's a no-brainer to go to Fordham compared to the schools I've been accepted (emory, gwu, bc) and I've narrowed it down to BC and Fordham thus far, though if I get into Vandy I'll go there (for some strange reason I feel like I will, off the waitlist).

So for me it seems, out of my options Vandy>Fordham (if I get accepted!) > BC.

Maybe I'm not giving Emory or GW enough credit?

I dunno...I thought I had it all figured out but when deposit time comes, just like when I was about to send out my applications in september, I start getting cold feet!

According to LST, it seems that Boston C. places 33.3 in NJLP while Fordham is at 25%...ouch! I thought the numbers were closer than this...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:03 am

Fight to get off the waitlists at Cornell & Michigan. If unsuccessful, then Fordham since you want to be in NYC.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:09 am

Bigsby wrote:Thanks guys!

Are there any more resources I can look at for helping me decide?

I was also considering George Washington University but I went there and realllly didn't like it. I also disliked the area. Something about it rubbed me the wrong away and I felt like, even though its the highest rank school I've been accepted, it wasn't gonna get me where I needed to go.

Since I want to be in NY, it's a no-brainer to go to Fordham compared to the schools I've been accepted (emory, gwu, bc) and I've narrowed it down to BC and Fordham thus far, though if I get into Vandy I'll go there (for some strange reason I feel like I will, off the waitlist).

So for me it seems, out of my options Vandy>Fordham (if I get accepted!) > BC.

Maybe I'm not giving Emory or GW enough credit?

I dunno...I thought I had it all figured out but when deposit time comes, just like when I was about to send out my applications in september, I start getting cold feet!

According to LST, it seems that Boston C. places 33.3 in NJLP while Fordham is at 25%...ouch! I thought the numbers were closer than this...

That's wrong
2012 NLJ list has Fordham at 19.58, BC at 21.75 and Vandy at 22.05 (I might be off by a few beeps as I don't have these side by side)
Do note that that is for an exceptionally bad year and the data is unsercounted by a bit
(CLS listed at 50% and NYU at 40%, so you have a reference. In 2009 both were around 70% or so)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:15 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:59 am

rad lulz wrote:Total debt you'll take at each?
RC fail, bro:
Bigsby wrote:With 2 more months of work plus the scholly money I've gotten from both schools, I'll be able to go to either school and graduate completely debt free.

OP, go to Fordham. Like others have said, they're peer school, but Fordham has better roots in NYC and you'll have more opportunities to go network and get experience during the school year while in the city you want to be in. BC can get you to NYC, but Fordham has a better shot of doing so.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigsby

Postby Bigsby » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:30 am

Cheers! Thanks guys! Any other information that can be passed my way will be excellent!

Question...say I get into Vanderbilt....Vandy>Fordham right?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Bigsby wrote:Cheers! Thanks guys! Any other information that can be passed my way will be excellent!

Question...say I get into Vanderbilt....Vandy>Fordham right?

Assuming sticker at both, not really. It's a lot more nuanced
While Vandy is better nationally, if you don't do well, you're more likely to get a non-biglaw NY job from Fordham, but Vandy has a lower cost of living. (although either at sticker is scary if you're below median)

Look at the downside. If you bomb, would you rather have less debt or be in NY?
I haven't looked, but I will assume that Bandy'd job prospects are slightly better at if you strike out of OCI, but then, the local market's not so easy to break into without ties (especially if you're below median)

While generally Vandy->Fordham, those are considerations that need to factor into your decision

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:43 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bigsby

Postby Bigsby » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:20 pm

OP here. Yeah, that's very true. I haven't done the math with Vandy but odds are I won't get a scholly if I'm in off waitlist. I guess if I'm picking between going full ride at Fordham vs. going to Vandy with some debt, I might as well pick Fordham as it's in the city I want to be in. Though I feel a little silly banking on one city (hell, i feel silly going to law school! hahah), I figure I might as well increase my chances as much as possible.

Sorry, it's just that the rankings get me all tied up. What if I was going full ride to either school, might as well go to Vandy? Might be a much better plan to have a more versatile degree right? Of course, now we're just theorizing as I ain't getting a full ride there but I'm just interested in the dynamic of the situation.

Also, another random question, but where do law students apply if they strike out at OCI? How do they find out what firms are hiring in the area?

Thank you,
Bigs

tlsposter

Postby tlsposter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 pm

dingbat wrote:BC and Fordham are very similar schools in terms of quality, reputation, and most importantly job placement
However, Fordham predominantly places in NY while BC placed more in Boston.
That being said, it's easier to go to BC and end in NY than go to Fordham and end up in Boston.
As you really want to end up in NY, Fordham is a better option, assuming thè cost is more or less the same.

This.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”