Rutgers-Newark v. Suffolk ($$) v. UConn (WL) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Stick with Rutgers-Newark
80%
Negotiate further with Suffolk and attend if more money is offered
7%
Push wait-list at UConn and attend if accepted
13%

Total votes: 15

JD16

New

Rutgers-Newark v. Suffolk ($$) v. UConn (WL)

Post by JD16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:58 pm

After ruling out a bunch of others, I am trying to reach a final decision between these three. I am from Jersey and while I wouldn't mind settling down there but I'd probably prefer New England in the long run. As a long-time lurker, I am certainly realistic about my opportunities to make big money right out of school. My main concerns are minimizing debt (all schools are PT and I am planning to work during the day to help defray costs) and having the best possible job prospects at graduation. Without going too far into it, retaking 100% not an option for me and I am going to law school this fall.

Here's the story:

Rutgers - Newark: Currently have my deposit in here. I am aware of its solid reputation within the a very insular state. I do have pretty decent connections. Tuition would be little over 60K for the four years and I could potentially live at home if I really need to save money.

Suffolk: Offered 20K per year with a 3.0 GPA stipulation (remember, it's PT so 20K is a much larger portion of the tuition and worth 80K overall). Apparently 85% of students keep their scholarships so that is not too much of a concern. But as stands right now, even with the scholarship, Suffolk costs just about as much as Rutgers-Newark despite being a tier down. It would be difficult to justify right now but I am considering trying to use Rutgers-Newark's ranking, in-state tuition costs, and the potential for me to save on living to see if I can inch Suffolk a bit closer to a full-tide. Does this seem plausible? In any event I am definitely a bit worried about job prospects in the long-run as I don't have any meaningful connections.

UConn: I am wait-listed here. I really liked it when I visited and have kept up by sending LOCIs every 3-4 weeks since receiving my decision. No real connections but I am intrigued by the weight that the name carries within the New England region and I wouldn't mind being stuck in the state. It would likely cost about 18K/20K more than Rutgers-Newark, assuming that I establish Connecticut residency after the first year. So, the real question is whether or not I should continue to push the wait-list and go if I get in.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Rutgers-Newark v. Suffolk ($$) v. UConn (WL)

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:14 pm

JD16 wrote:My main concerns are minimizing debt...and having the best possible job prospects
JD16 wrote:retaking 100% not an option for me and I am going to law school this fall
I hate to do it, but those statements are incompatible.

JD16

New

Post by JD16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JD16 wrote:My main concerns are minimizing debt...and having the best possible job prospects
JD16 wrote:retaking 100% not an option for me and I am going to law school this fall
I hate to do it, but those statements are incompatible.
I do appreciate the input but again its relative. I am not expecting big earnings in year one...I just want a decent career down the line and none of these options are exceptionally expensive.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Since you're going part time you should go wherever you can find a decent job to work during law school.

I also think you're severely underrating the importance of getting a good legal job in year one.

JD16

New

Post by JD16 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Valid point. I guess what I'm just trying to say is that I'm ok with making a middling salary for a few years after I'm out as long as I can make a living out of it eventually (from from lucrative but enough to pay the bills). I understand that many people aren't even having that amount of luck but with the max debt being around 75k and schools that at least have decent reps in their home markets...I'm hoping to give myself the best shot I can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I guess Suffolk if you can get the full ride but I don't know why they would give it to you after already dishing out 20K. Otherwise, I'd say RU.

JD16

New

Post by JD16 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:38 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:I guess Suffolk if you can get the full ride but I don't know why they would give it to you after already dishing out 20K. Otherwise, I'd say RU.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was even worth a shot. Free school would be appealing but I suppose that 60 thousand saved is pretty meaningless if I can't even find work after graduating. Thanks for the input.

andiev10

New

Post by andiev10 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:28 pm

JD16 wrote:
wfudeacons2005 wrote:I guess Suffolk if you can get the full ride but I don't know why they would give it to you after already dishing out 20K. Otherwise, I'd say RU.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was even worth a shot. Free school would be appealing but I suppose that 60 thousand saved is pretty meaningless if I can't even find work after graduating. Thanks for the input.
I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I currently have a full scholarship for Suffolk and have some money for Fordham and GW. Free school sounds really appealing but not at the risk of lower job prospects.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JD16

New

Post by JD16 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:25 pm

rad lulz wrote:Suffolk is blahhhhh

R-N is probably the saner choice for $75k debt.
Yeah, I just looked a bit more at Suffolk's number...pretty scare. Chances of any law are like 55% right now? At least RU and UConn will likely get me in the door somewhere.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:33 am

I vote Rutgers, even though I go to UConn. Job market in NJ/NY is much better than out here in CT. plus, minimizing your COL by living at home would be a huge benefit. Dont let the (swiftly diminishing) difference in rankings fool you; RU-N is every bit as good as UConn. Both are big public flagships with solid regional alumni bases. But CT's job economy is awful and shows few signs of resurrection. In fact I sort of wish I had gone to Rutgers.

JD16

New

Post by JD16 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. Still decided to send Suffolk an e-mail on the deposit date...hell if they give me a full-ride it'd be tough to turn down. But, other than that, it looks like I'll be sticking with RU.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 am

JD16 wrote:

Yeah, I just looked a bit more at Suffolk's number...pretty scare. Chances of any law are like 55% right now? At least RU and UConn will likely get me in the door somewhere.
I think one thing often lost on applicants is how shitty many legal jobs are. You just want a "decent career" and aren't expecting "big earnings" the first year out? Well I hate to say it, but get in line. Tens of thousands of other students and recent grads would lose an appendage for a job like that. It's not like if you miss biglaw you will be walking into a reasonable salary and working 40-hour weeks. If you are lucky enough to get a job, it could well be a 60+ hour grind and mid-five figures doing slip and fall insurance defense, or making even less doing legal aid for degenerates who have zero appreciation for all the work you do for them. Or maybe working in one of those unpaid "internships" at the AG's office.

If you have to go to law school now (which you don't, but it sounds like you've convinced yourself you do), go to Rutgers and live at home all three years to save on costs. It's not a terrible option if the cost is low and you have the ties, although New Jersey's market is just absolutely decimated. I just think you should do some soul searching first and make sure you are gong to law school for the right reasons and all that good stuff. It could be a great career for you (I don't know you), but it could also be the worst mistake of your life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JD16 wrote:

I think one thing often lost on applicants is how shitty many legal jobs are. You just want a "decent career" and aren't expecting "big earnings" the first year out? Well I hate to say it, but get in line. Tens of thousands of other students and recent grads would lose an appendage for a job like that. It's not like if you miss biglaw you will be walking into a reasonable salary and working 40-hour weeks. If you are lucky enough to get a job, it could well be a 60+ hour grind and mid-five figures doing slip and fall insurance defense, or making even less doing legal aid for degenerates who have zero appreciation for all the work you do for them. Or maybe working in one of those unpaid "internships" at the AG's office.

If you have to go to law school now (which you don't, but it sounds like you've convinced yourself you do), go to Rutgers and live at home all three years to save on costs. It's not a terrible option if the cost is low and you have the ties, although New Jersey's market is just absolutely decimated. I just think you should do some soul searching first and make sure you are gong to law school for the right reasons and all that good stuff. It could be a great career for you (I don't know you), but it could also be the worst mistake of your life.
Very good post. For all of the unproductive bashing that goes on, I think this is actually helpful. While I am almost definitely going to RU, I'm pretty realistic that my job opps may not be phenomenal at all but I'm willing to take the risk. Nevertheless, this is why I think if you can somehow negotiate Suffolk up to 25k/30k, I think it may not not be too bad to be 20K in debt from there rather than 70K in debt from RU if your goal is Boston/New England.

JD16

New

Post by JD16 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
JD16 wrote:

Very good post. For all of the unproductive bashing that goes on, I think this is actually helpful. While I am almost definitely going to RU, I'm pretty realistic that my job opps may not be phenomenal at all but I'm willing to take the risk. Nevertheless, this is why I think if you can somehow negotiate Suffolk up to 25k/30k, I think it may not not be too bad to be 20K in debt from there rather than 70K in debt from RU if your goal is Boston/New England.
Thanks for all of the great advice! Boston/New England is certainly my ideal and if I can get Suffolk up to 30K from the 20K I'm at now (they gave me a deposit extension until 5/1), I'd at least consider it. The job prospects seem to be pretty frightening despite having a solid reputation/street credibility up there but if I'm only taking out 15K over four years then I'll have a lot less to worry about, as WFU said. However, if they don't budge to basically a full-ride then I guess I'll take everyones advice, stick with RU-N for the time being and ride out UConn until mid-summer at least to keep my options open.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:15 pm

Sounds like a decent plan...good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”