Patent Law - Emory vs UNC vs Boston College Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dandoe123

New

Patent Law - Emory vs UNC vs Boston College

Post by dandoe123 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I'm not sure what COA would be at Boston College or UNC at this time, but in regards to job prospects as a patent attorney (more likely prosecution than litigation), anyone know if one school is better than the others?

I know Boston is a major biotech hub, but I'm wondering what the competition will be like considering there are so many solid law schools in the area. I'm also not too excited about the cost of living and the brutal winters.

I like UNC a lot - lack of rush hour traffic, cheap cost of living, wife works at Duke. I know there are many good research institutions in the area (UNC, Duke, RTP, etc.), but I'm wondering how the job prospects rank compare to other bigger cities.

I got my PhD from Emory and do like the area. But with all the "negative" comments regarding Emory and the Atlanta legal market, I'm a bit worried... although I think Emory might give me much more flexibility in regards to where I can practice after graduation.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice/comments.

stratocophic

Gold

Re: Patent Law - Emory vs UNC vs Boston College

Post by stratocophic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:33 pm

dandoe123 wrote:I'm not sure what COA would be at Boston College or UNC at this time, but in regards to job prospects as a patent attorney (more likely prosecution than litigation), anyone know if one school is better than the others?

I know Boston is a major biotech hub, but I'm wondering what the competition will be like considering there are so many solid law schools in the area. I'm also not too excited about the cost of living and the brutal winters.

I like UNC a lot - lack of rush hour traffic, cheap cost of living, wife works at Duke. I know there are many good research institutions in the area (UNC, Duke, RTP, etc.), but I'm wondering how the job prospects rank compare to other bigger cities.

I got my PhD from Emory and do like the area. But with all the "negative" comments regarding Emory and the Atlanta legal market, I'm a bit worried... although I think Emory might give me much more flexibility in regards to where I can practice after graduation.

All 3 place into very different markets. I'd pick the cheapest between Emory and BC, while keeping in mind which market you like better. There's a solid IP matket in ATL, it'd be easier to crack for you than most of the people talking about how dire it is.

grapess45

New

Post by grapess45 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 pm

If you want a school that doesn't care about you, makes you participate in worthless programs like trial techniques, and generally disrespects your time and person, please come to Emory. The administration will not listen to students when their rankings are up, and when they're down again they want all the input they can get from students, only to disregard their thoughts in favor of lying to USNWR. Law school is frustrating enough without the stupid hoops on fire emory makes you jump through.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:24 pm

grapess? short for grapes, sour?

op- if you can get into ti:ger, emory is the way to go.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Where do you want to practice?

Georgia? Go to Emory
North Carolina? Go to UNC
Greater Boston Area? BC.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:13 pm

dandoe123 wrote:I'm not sure what COA would be at Boston College or UNC at this time, but in regards to job prospects as a patent attorney (more likely prosecution than litigation), anyone know if one school is better than the others?

If equal costs, its BC hands down (one of the most underrated schools outside top 14).

Greater portability from Emory over BC or UNC is a myth, the only reason 50-60% go out of state is because they came from out of state and therefore had ties already. Similarly, if you had ties to say CO, I doubt going to Emory is more portable than going to BC.

It would take an extra 30k to consider UNC/Emory unless you like NC or GA over Boston.

Minicoop88

New

Post by Minicoop88 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm at Emory now, and love it. Further, I do not agree with grapess45 AT ALL in his/her description of the administration.

Shoot me any questions you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”