Decision for a Veteran...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Options

Poll ended at Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 am

Ohio State or Bust
100%
Cincy/Case Western
No votes
Capital
No votes

Total votes: 9

JVanHo

Decision for a Veteran...

Postby JVanHo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am

I'm still waiting for a decision from Ohio State (160/3.62 went complete 1/31), which is far and away my #1 choice. Deposits are due next week...but, if I'm not accepted, or I get waitlisted, I was wondering what TLS thinks the best route would be.

A little background info:
I have GI Bill benefits that will cover the cost of any school on my list, so tuition is fully covered and I'll get a living stipend (dampens the opportunity-cost, I reckon). I also live in the Columbus area with my wife and 6 yr old son, and my son attends school here. I am looking to practice in the Columbus area following graduation.

Different options if I don't get into Moritz:
1. Attend Capital Law School in Columbus. I know, it has absolutely horrendous employment statistics, and at $90k of debt at graduation I wouldn't even think about attending. But... is it worth it if it's free (of course I have a big scholarship offer, but I could even fail to meet the stips and still have the GI Bill cover the cost)?
2. Attend U of Cincinnati or Case Western and hope to transfer to OSU (or possibly ride it out all 3 years?).
3. OSU or nothing at all.

Off-topic a bit: Is a LOCI to OSU a good idea at this point? Also, should it be via e-mail, hand-delivered, or USPS?

Thanks!

bdole2

Re: Decision for a Veteran...

Postby bdole2 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:57 am

IMO you should go Ohio State or bust. If you don't get Ohio state this year, retake the LSAT, apply super early and make sure you get Ohio State next year. Also, a LOCI probably wouldn't hurt, though the delivery method probably doesn't matter all that much, I guess hand-delivery might be nice...depends on the person receiving it.

Tadatsune

Postby Tadatsune » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 pm

I wouldn't want to waste a free ride on a school I couldn't get a job from. Retake.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Tadatsune wrote:I wouldn't want to waste a free ride on a school I couldn't get a job from. Retake.

Seriously, a thousand times this.

JVanHo

Postby JVanHo » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Okay, this is pretty much a closed topic now. Thank you for validating my concerns, TLS.

If these are Capital's padded employment statistics, I can't imagine how scary the actual figures are.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Seriously consider retaking LSAT after a few months of solid prep, your gpa isn't bad and have good work experience (veteran) you could easily get into a top school if you break 170.

If your interested check out the LSAT prep portion of this website.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:09 pm

Br3v wrote:Seriously consider retaking LSAT after a few months of solid prep, your gpa isn't bad and have good work experience (veteran) you could easily get into a top school if you break 170.

If your interested check out the LSAT prep portion of this website.

Specifically check out pithypikes study guide or consider taking a formal LSAT prep class from powerscore, Princeton, Kaplan or something

Return to “Choosing a Law School”