Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

Cardozo (28k/year scholly, 132k debt)
39%
Brooklyn (40k/year scholly, 96k debt)
59%
Seton Hall (35k/year scholly, 99k debt)
2%

Total votes: 44

MTBike

Bronze

Re: Dozo (28k) vs. Brooklyn (40k) vs. Seton Hall (35k)

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:05 am

TLSwag wrote:

You are right that is an option. Maybe it's what you should have done since your obviously so bitter about the process that you feel compelled to rant on this website all day. Once again, that is why I say to read the first post of a topic before you decide to contribute or not. OP clearly indicated she IS going to law school (i.e. abandoning law school is NOT an option for her) and needs to pay a deposit at one of these 3 schools. Wanted advice on the differences between these 3 schools, and advice on that only.

Out of curiosity, why didn't u retake and reapply rad_lulz? I mean sure Vandy is a great law school, don't get me wrong. Better then anywhere I have been accepted. But even if you got scholarship there, why didn't u retake/reapply for T14 $$? I mean Vandy only placed 22% to NLJ250, seems risky by your presumptions, no???
Thats a great question... Radlulz, why didn't you re-take and re-apply? You could've gotten a better score and received some better scholarships or t14 acceptances, and to pretend otherwise is lunacy.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:14 am

This is dumb

iceicebaby

Bronze

Post by iceicebaby » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am

JuniorMint wrote:Sorry I haven't weighed in in a while - I was at work.

In particular, I am wondering if the 36k difference between Brooklyn and Cardozo (which just became a difference of 18k this afternoon when Cardozo notified me of a 6k/year increase) justifies the slightly better job prospects that Cardozo may offer. I am also looking for exactly the kind of input iceicebaby was giving. When all my options "equally suck," according to the majority of you, small things like the ones he suggested become more important. I got into William and Mary with a 12k scholly, and guess what? When I visited, I couldn't picture myself there, no matter what the job prospects are. Same goes for Washington & Lee. The environment I'll be in matters tremendously to me, especially when all things are approximately equal.
Congrats on the increase! For me, that makes it a bit harder, but I will still go with Brooklyn tbh. I still think that $18k+interest is not worth the difference and that you should take the money and run in this instance. BUT, I will say that the difference is negligible enough so that if you visit Cardozo and love it over Brooklyn or vice versa, you should make your decision based on that. Personally—from what I've gathered anyway—Brooklyn seemed to have a bit more cohesion and students seem a bit more happy while Cardozo seemed like a commuter school where people just came into to go to class and/or study and then would leave. I guess that's the Manhattan effect, it would be hard for anyone to stay indoors in a stuffy law building with that concrete jungle waiting outside. Anyway, you have to get a feel for yourself, JuniorMint and just keep in mind that you're going to X school for the next 3 years and becoming a member of X's alumni base for life thereafter. Your perceptions pertaining to the latter two things are important. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Just as a thought, you could try and see if Brooklyn would increase more with news of this Cardozo increase... can't hurt to ask!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:23 am

JuniorMint wrote:One more thing - sd5289 and tfleming, you're dead on, of course. I started with offers of 29k/year at Brooklyn and 18k/year at Cardozo and bounced them off of each other until I ended up with 40k/year at Brooklyn and 34k/year at Cardozo.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:25 am

MTBike wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

You are right that is an option. Maybe it's what you should have done since your obviously so bitter about the process that you feel compelled to rant on this website all day. Once again, that is why I say to read the first post of a topic before you decide to contribute or not. OP clearly indicated she IS going to law school (i.e. abandoning law school is NOT an option for her) and needs to pay a deposit at one of these 3 schools. Wanted advice on the differences between these 3 schools, and advice on that only.

Out of curiosity, why didn't u retake and reapply rad_lulz? I mean sure Vandy is a great law school, don't get me wrong. Better then anywhere I have been accepted. But even if you got scholarship there, why didn't u retake/reapply for T14 $$? I mean Vandy only placed 22% to NLJ250, seems risky by your presumptions, no???
Thats a great question... Radlulz, why didn't you re-take and re-apply? You could've gotten a better score and received some better scholarships or t14 acceptances, and to pretend otherwise is lunacy.
Maybe he took three times and Vandy with $$$ was his best option? It's amazing potential law students have such shitty logic.

I think broheim landed a biglawl job anyway (from his other posts) so he won the lottery.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 am

tfleming09 wrote:
MTBike wrote:
TLSwag wrote:

Maybe he took three times and Vandy with $$$ was his best option? It's amazing potential law students have such shitty logic.

I think broheim landed a biglawl job anyway (from his other posts) so he won the lottery.
He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.

Also, that is the point we have been arguing this entire time. What is OP's best option. MY logic is shitty? Jesus christ...

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:32 am

MTBike wrote:
He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.
What shitty logic now?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:36 am

MTBike wrote: He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.

Also, that is the point we have been arguing this entire time. What is OP's best option. MY logic is shitty? Jesus christ...
what is this i don't even

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:37 am

tfleming09 wrote:
MTBike wrote: He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.

what is this i don't even
^--- this is what you write when you get called out for being a douche :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 am

bdole2 wrote:
MTBike wrote:
What shitty logic now?
Ask TTTflemming...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 am

MTBike wrote:He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.

Vandy with money isn't equivalent to Dozo/Brooklyn/Seton Hall. Are you really this dense?

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 am

Nelson wrote:
MTBike wrote:He uses that same shitty logic all the time... so I thought turn around was fair game.

Vandy with money isn't equivalent to Dozo/Brooklyn/Seton Hall. Are you really this dense?
Where the fuck did that come from? Nobody ever said that... nice try though. You cant strengthen an argument by inserting fabricated premises into an opposing argument... it just doesnt work.

bdole2

Bronze

Post by bdole2 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 am

MTBike if you were good at recognizing what was shitty logic, and what wasn't, then maybe you would have done better on the LSAT...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 am

bdole2 wrote:MTBike if you were good at recognizing what was shitty logic, and what wasn't, then maybe you would have done better on the LSAT...
I did just fine on the lsat bud...

I am making the talking heads of TLS angry... I apologize

DTDT

New

Post by DTDT » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:48 am

OP what are your stats [how close where you to getting in Fordham] ?

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:49 am

MTBike wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Where the fuck did that come from? Nobody ever said that... nice try though. You cant strengthen an argument by inserting fabricated premises into an opposing argument... it just doesnt work.
Some schools are worth attending and others aren't. These decisions aren't made in a vacuum.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 am

Nelson wrote:
MTBike wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Some schools are worth attending and others aren't. These decisions aren't made in a vacuum.
Credited... I think stating that Cordozo isn't worth attending is a giant stretch of that fact, however. These arent TTTT's we are talking about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 am

MTBike wrote: Credited... I think stating that Cordozo isn't worth attending is a giant stretch of that fact, however. These arent TTTT's we are talking about.
NYC is the most saturated legal market in the country and Cardozo is behind at least three local schools plus every miscellaneous T14 grad. There are plenty of TTs and even TTTs in secondary markets that can be worth attending. But there's a reason why Cardozo has spawned more scamblogs than any other school. It's because it's in the country's most saturated legal market. If you're going on a close to full ride (like OP is now after negotiating) you can make a case, but do you really want to spend three years of your life and living expenses in Manhattan to graduate around median and end up fighting for a slot on a doc review project?

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 am

Nelson wrote:
MTBike wrote: Credited... I think stating that Cordozo isn't worth attending is a giant stretch of that fact, however. These arent TTTT's we are talking about.
NYC is the most saturated legal market in the country and Cardozo is behind at least three local schools plus every miscellaneous T14 grad. There are plenty of TTs and even TTTs in secondary markets that can be worth attending. But there's a reason why Cardozo has spawned more scamblogs than any other school. It's because it's in the country's most saturated legal market. If you're going on a close to full ride (like OP is now after negotiating) you can make a case, but do you really want to spend three years of your life and living expenses in Manhattan to graduate around median and end up fighting for a slot on a doc review project?
I think that's the issue. With NYC cost of living so high and NYC so saturated even 40k a year likely means 100k of debt when interest is factored in. I would tread carefully with NYC schools outside of Fordham because of this. Now OP says he is from NY. If that's the case and he could live at home I would endorse going to Cardozo with the current price.

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:03 am

Nelson wrote:
Good point... but if I recall correctly, these are his only options. And depending on factors such as how well he does at LS and ties, Dozo is probably his best bet. That is just my opinion though... and admittedly, I dont know everything :oops:

JuniorMint

New

Post by JuniorMint » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:08 am

I'm 162/3.72. I think I did better with than my numbers say I should have because I graduated from a reputable school with a somewhat unique degree (for this particular application process, anyway) that I completed in only three years.

First time I took the LSAT, I took it pretty cold - three or four prep tests and a little studying. Bombed LG and got 162. Second time I studied only for the LG and took like half a dozen prep tests. Aced LG, bombed RC, which was just a complete shock. I never had any problem with that section. Got a 162.

Even if I kill it on a retake, if schools take the average, I'm screwed. And I have like a month and a half to prepare for June. And I CRINGE at the idea of taking another year off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hdsoc

Bronze

Post by hdsoc » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:14 am

Pretty much none of the schools outside of HYS and maybe CCN average LSAT scores. You have a solid GPA; you should definitely retake for more money and better options. I was in a similar situation to you (wanted to stay in NYC; really didn't want to wait another year) and on top of that I had an extremely mediocre GPA. But I sucked it up, studied my ass off for several months and got a 173 and now I'm going to NYU. It was a hard decision, but it was absolutely the right decision.

Take a testmasters course; really dedicate yourself to it and it will pay off. If you put in the work now, doors will be open to you that may never be available, even with twice as much work down the line.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am

Last edited by rad lulz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:17 am

MTBike wrote:
bdole2 wrote:
MTBike wrote:
What shitty logic now?
Ask TTTflemming...
You're making a number of assumptions with that question. Here are why they are not the same and why your logic is terrible.

1) He hadn't maxed out retakes
2) He didn't specifically want to go to Vandy, or Vandy wasn't his dream school (if bro is from the south, it might be)
3) He could do "better" than Vandy. Vandy with $$$$ if you want the south versus say, GULC or UVA at sticker.

Responses:
1) OP specifically said he did not want to sit out this cycle, strongly suggesting he could sit out and retake but he doesn't want to. That eliminates #1.
2) I highly doubt Cardozo, Brooklyn, or SH are anyone's dream school or anyone specifically really wants to go there. They're backup plans for people who want to go to school in NYC but don't have Columbia/NYU/Fordham grades. They don't give a reasonable shot at biglawl like Vandy does, which was one of OP's requirements.
3) Relative, but refer to point two. He could do better by retaking. Retake and Fordham with money would obviously be better, for instance.
4) You are a terrible poaster

And fucking lol@equating going to Vandy with $$$$ to these options brah.

Edit: scooped above me

MTBike

Bronze

Post by MTBike » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:18 am

rad lulz wrote:
MTBike wrote: Thats a great question... Radlulz, why didn't you re-take and re-apply? You could've gotten a better score and received some better scholarships or t14 acceptances, and to pretend otherwise is lunacy.
1. Whether I did or not has no bearing on the accuracy of my opinions. That's like, an LSAT question brah.

2. But I did retake. My better score led to stacks on stacks of cash.

3. In general, the amount of debt I'd take out to attend a school like Vandy, UT, UCLA, USC, GULC, Cornell or whatever is a helluva lot higher than the amt I'd take for those schools.
I never stated otherwise... brah

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”